Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2016 Ducati Scrambler Sixty2 with about 220 miles on it three weeks ago from a local dealership. Full disclosure: this is my first motorcycle I've ever owned and I don't have a great understanding of engines. I've done my best not to rev beyond 6,000 RPM (as per the manual) and treat my bike as well as I know how.

Anyway, since being delivered I've put 200-250 miles on it and haven't noticed any irregularities until yesterday.

I started the bike normally (in neutral) and let it run for 2-3 minutes while I put my gear on. Side note: I store my bike in my garage (not heated) and the temperatures have been fluctuating between the mid 30's and upper 40's where I live. After running idle for 2-3 minutes, I pulled the clutch and hopped on.

With the clutch pulled I went through my check-list - gloves/lights/blinkers/ect - and then released the clutch lever to begin backing my bike out of my garage. When I released the clutch, that's when I began to hear what I can only describe as a rattle in the gearbox. With the clutch pulled, the engine rumbled normally in neutral. When I released the clutch lever, the rattle continued. The intensity or frequency of the rattle is altered depending on how much or how little I pull the clutch; the rattle being the most obvious when the clutch is completely released or not being noticeable at all when fully pulled.

With that said: I'm no mechanic (a complete novice at that) but the rattle doesn't sound alarming. It isn't irregular in pattern and there's no indication of loose part sounds when the bike is completely off. But this is my first bike, and I want to do everything right to take care of it . I'm curious to know what thenoise is. Unfortunately I'm at work and don't have a video to help capture the sound but I'll do that when I get home and update here.

Despite the noise, I still rode 15 or so miles yesterday and didn't notice any performance/mechanical issues - not dash warning lights or indications either.

Anyone have any idea what it might be?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I bought a 2016 Ducati Scrambler Sixty2 with about 220 miles on it three weeks ago from a local dealership. Full disclosure: this is my first motorcycle I've ever owned and I don't have a great understanding of engines. I've done my best not to rev beyond 6,000 RPM (as per the manual) and treat my bike as well as I know how.

Anyway, since being delivered I've put 200-250 miles on it and haven't noticed any irregularities until yesterday.

I started the bike normally (in neutral) and let it run for 2-3 minutes while I put my gear on. Side note: I store my bike in my garage (not heated) and the temperatures have been fluctuating between the mid 30's and upper 40's where I live. After running idle for 2-3 minutes, I pulled the clutch and hopped on.

With the clutch pulled I went through my check-list - gloves/lights/blinkers/ect - and then released the clutch lever to begin backing my bike out of my garage. When I released the clutch, that's when I began to hear what I can only describe as a rattle in the gearbox. With the clutch pulled, the engine rumbled normally in neutral. When I released the clutch lever, the rattle continued. The intensity or frequency of the rattle is altered depending on how much or how little I pull the clutch; the rattle being the most obvious when the clutch is completely released or not being noticeable at all when fully pulled.

With that said: I'm no mechanic (a complete novice at that) but the rattle doesn't sound alarming. It isn't irregular in pattern and there's no indication of loose part sounds when the bike is completely off. But this is my first bike, and I want to do everything right to take care of it . I'm curious to know what thenoise is. Unfortunately I'm at work and don't have a video to help capture the sound but I'll do that when I get home and update here.

Despite the noise, I still rode 15 or so miles yesterday and didn't notice any performance/mechanical issues - not dash warning lights or indications either.

Anyone have any idea what it might be?
Sounds like your clutch release bearing, I would say nothing to worry about as both my scramblers made a noise with the clutch released.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you basically hear the rattle when the clutch is fully released?

Is it still there after a 15min ride?
Yes, I hear a rattle when the clutch is fully released. I tested my motorcycle out yesterday and the rattle was much less obvious after a 15 minute ride.

Sounds like your clutch release bearing, I would say nothing to worry about as both my scramblers made a noise with the clutch released.
So this is a normal sound? I could see how he bike would start making new noises as I put more and more miles on it, but seeing as how it only has 400 or so and is relatively new I was nervous. Is it normal to hear it so early in the motorcycles "lifespan"?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Go back to where you bought it.

Although I have an 800, so no direct comparison, I just rode my bike in to work, and not clutch sounds at all. Neither cold or warm.

(as a matter of fact, after I changed the oil last week the clutch grabbyness at a cold engine also went away)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would you recommend me taking it to the dealership I bought it at or an Authorized Ducati Dealership? I don't think the place I bought it can actually service Ducati's, but thankfully I bought the extended 2 year warranty.

What is everyone's opinion on warranty's with Ducati's? Worth it?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Return to the shop that sold it to you. If they can't fix it (or say nothing's wrong, this often happens), only then go to a Ducati dealer.

First ask if this is normal, only then discuss warranty or not. That's what I would do.

But at least you have warranty from the place you bought it, right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's just the clutch plates wearing in to each other. My Sixty2 does it, my RSV4 Factory does it, my 848 does it and I'm sure my Triumph does it but I can't hear much over the counter balance shaft whine on that bike. On another note.....no need to let it warm up for 2-3 minutes. Fuel injected bike. Start up, put ear plugs in, helmet on and go. Minute tops.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fuel injected bike. Start up, put ear plugs in, helmet on and go.
(no gloves?) ;-)

Hi,

Tell that to my dealer. I had some startup issues when outside temperature is under 23-25º. Beginning right after 2nd oil change (and winter). The bike started faultlessly every time, then randomly "popped" and stalled within the first 2-3 minutes of use. Had a couple of scary moments when going out of my underground parking and stalling in the middle of a *very* steep slope - in Europe, the architect would probably be banned/jailed for that :)
Random annoying safety issue, but dealer says, as usual, "it's normal, it's a Ducati", let it warm for two minutes. Another Sixty2 owner in Hanoi reported the same problem..

Now, temps are back in the 30s, no more problems: just start and go.

And to answer the original post, is the issue still there? Any updates?

Valentin

·
Registered
205 Posts
(no gloves?) ;-)

Hi,

Tell that to my dealer. I had some startup issues when outside temperature is under 23-25º. Beginning right after 2nd oil change (and winter). The bike started faultlessly every time, then randomly "popped" and stalled within the first 2-3 minutes of use. Had a couple of scary moments when going out of my underground parking and stalling in the middle of a *very* steep slope - in Europe, the architect would probably be banned/jailed for that :)
Random annoying safety issue, but dealer says, as usual, "it's normal, it's a Ducati", let it warm for two minutes. Another Sixty2 owner in Hanoi reported the same problem..

Valentin
Yeah mine did that before the upmap. They are just too lean and it becomes painfully obvious at lower temperatures.
I still warm for at least a minute though. ..old habits.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
That said, all the carbureted bikes I had ran way worse for the first few minutes than modern injected bikes do.

Our bikes don't even run THAT lean, especially not on a cold engine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi,

That said, all the carbureted bikes I had ran way worse for the first few minutes than modern injected bikes do.
I only have experience on smaller engines but never had issues with "unpredictable" stalls on carburated bikes: start up can be tricky, but the bike won't randomly pop/stall (or not: it's random), without any explainable reason, after idling like a Swiss clock for a minute :)
My experience with FI bikes is.. well.. it works at it should. Only had problems with the Sixty2.

I don't mind if the engine needs some time to warm up, but I need to know when it's ready to use safely!

Valentin

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi,

Yeah mine did that before the upmap.
You mean, exactly the same problem (sometimes pop and stall -or not- within the first 2-3 minutes) and never happened again after the remap?

I'm considering a Termi slip-on + race map, but I'm not feeling so good being "forced" to invest to make the bike smoother, reliable as it should with what is supposed to be modern FI, and (hopefully) solve an harmonic sound issue somewhere within the stock exhaust annoying me for months... But I'm not even sure it's not coming from the cat or somewhere else :-(

(And would hate having to warm-up the bike with a loud exhaust in the small underground parking, shaking the whole 8-floor apartment block for a looong minute) :)

Valentin

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi,

You mean, exactly the same problem (sometimes pop and stall -or not- within the first 2-3 minutes) and never happened again after the remap?

Valentin
Yep on both - tho I always warm it at least a minute . If you don't want to modify it, all good - just be aware and let it warm and/or keep the revs up and feather the clutch a little for the first few km. I live in Queensland where it is seldom below 15 centigrade. ..can't imagine how stock fueling does in actual cold.

And Max - my carbed bikes always ran fine when coldish - well they did after I rejetted them. One exception being a DRZ-SM....never sorted that stupid CV unit. ..was going to put a flatslide on it but ended up trading it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
(no gloves?) ;-)

Hi,

Valentin
odd! i've also experienced this random startup issue. bike fires up no problem. but sometimes if i seem to give it throttle 'too early', i'd hear a pop and stall. it seems to only ever happen around startup time, and never when im actually up and moving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My sixty2 also made a rattle when it had less than 600 miles on it. I believe it’s just the clutch plates as someone else said. It went away for sure after 700 miles

1 - 19 of 19 Posts