Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've been online and I'm very surprised this topic hasn't come up yet.

So it seems the Urban Enduro is discontinued which I have mixed feelings about. On one hand it's a shame, but on the other hand, I've got myself a semi rare bike now.

However, I have done a bit of off roading with it and it's fantastic. Obviously not REALLY built for that like the Desert Sled is now, but I still prefer the military look of the UE anyway.

So..... how tricky would it be to put some Desert Sled forks on to give it the extra ground clearance it desperately needs? What about the swing arm, is this also different or is it just a longer shock/spring assembly?

Would it be possible to buy these parts for this purpose, and would they be a simple swap over?

Thanks for any thoughts....

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
For the front, you need at least forks and triple clamps. The forks is obvious, but you need the clamps to get the proper offset (and stanchion diameter).

For the rear, I' pretty sure the swingarm is interchangeable too to some extent, you may need some spacers and other small stuff because the frame of the Sled is reinforced in the swingarm area. And wheels of course.

All in all, if you buy enough parts, I'm sure it can be done. It's just like Lego.

But knowing the price of parts, you may be better off buying a Desert Sled and wrap or spay it your desired color.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

For the swingarm, I'm not so sure it's plug & play. The Desert Sled has got a different frame. The swingarm is fixed on the frame and engine instead of being fixed on the engine only. The adaptation may be quite complex.

If you want to get a little bit higher bike, you can certainly achieve with a little bit longer rear shock and a 19" front wheel. I've already looked at a front wheel change on my Classic and a 19" rim goes well in the OEM fork.

·
Registered
21 Posts
its a different bike - frame is strengthened, swingarm is longer, forks and ride height are higher - . it is more than just a swap parts upgrade, as the desert sled was built from the ground up as a new machine. The desert sled is super competant off road - and I will be out on mine in 39mins.. not that I am clock watching at work... honest

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally was going to do this but with the costs and legitimate issues with the geometry mapping of putting a new front end to the UE and a custom shock for the rear (the new shock might not fit) plus the beefed up frame as well as new swing arm, it because somewhat silly and cost prohibitive. I am instead speaking to a painter who may paint the desert sled green and I will call mine the urban sled. If cost is not too crazy, it will happen...as I likewise love the green far more than the 70s red or white.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been a while since I've been online and I'm very surprised this topic hasn't come up yet.

So it seems the Urban Enduro is discontinued which I have mixed feelings about. On one hand it's a shame, but on the other hand, I've got myself a semi rare bike now.

However, I have done a bit of off roading with it and it's fantastic. Obviously not REALLY built for that like the Desert Sled is now, but I still prefer the military look of the UE anyway.

So..... how tricky would it be to put some Desert Sled forks on to give it the extra ground clearance it desperately needs? What about the swing arm, is this also different or is it just a longer shock/spring assembly?

Would it be possible to buy these parts for this purpose, and would they be a simple swap over?

Thanks for any thoughts....
I've just been through the process of researching this and decided after all not to do it and keep the bike as it is..
I recently did an off road trip and felt I needed a little more travel from the shocks and a little more ground clearance as I am tall. We we going to replace the front shocks with KTM's so that there would be adjustment on rebound and dampening and have a custom shock made for the rear. By doing some modifications to the forks we could only get 30mm additional travel in the front. Any more than this and we would have had to replace everything.
The issue at the rear was that with the wheel 50mm down, the chain does not travel straight to the front sprocket anymore, so larger sprockets front and rear, Custom chain guard, modifications to the catalytic converter. Then possible longer brake cables, lowered foot pecks, brackets for gear shift and rear brake. It became such a long list of unknowns with no guarantee that the bike will live up to my expectations.
The bike handled amazing in very rough offroad conditions. I was planning to hire something more suitable for the trip and decided to rather use my bike for the sake of adventure..
DSCF7028.jpeg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts