Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my experience with Scrambler. (sorry for a long post and grammar mistakes :p )

I bought my Icon 2 years ago, demo bike with 3K km on the clock. I had it for a weekend for test ride and was riding HD Iron 883 at the time so big improvement.

There was no other Scrambler available locally and I wanted it so bad so I went to the nearest dealer that had one, which happens to be another state in EU J I agreed to buy the demo bike, with enough discount to cover race Termignoni exhaust + map and FT bars.

I wanted to show off to my friend (harley guy) who brought me to motorbikes and besides the usual „spagetti“ talk, he really liked the bike and his only concern was the clutch. He thought it was slipping, I did not know the „term“ at the time so I checked with the dealer and he said it is probably the „slipper clutch“ feeling and the clutch was OK.

Few thousand kms later, my resonator attached to the termi exhaust started to rattle. Local dealer recommended going where I bought it for warranty claim. Somewhat a: „you did not buy it here, so why bother us with your problems approach“. (even though Ducati Italy, that I was in communication with at the time – regarding resonator, slipping clutch, the usual blip the throttle – „cough“ when rev matching explicitly said that I can go for warranty claim to any Ducati dealership in EU)

So I called the dealer I got the bike from, scheduled for clutch check and while I was there, I asked them to order new exhaust resonator. (Which was approved to be changed under warranty) It took them couple of days to even ride the bike and test the clutch – with the usual „everything is normal and it is supposed to be like that“

Last fall my bike started to lean more and more on the kickstand. Almost lost the pivot bolt. There was no mention about this problem at the time, so I thought it was whatever I did wrong or me who tightened it too much. So my friend helped me to make a new bolt, longer one with enough thread to go all the way in and it has held great ever since. Then the info about the recall came.. J

2 front and 3 rear tires + 12K small desmo service later (about a month ago, still under warranty), at around 18K km I contacted my dealer if they do not plan to call me regarding the pivot bolt recall..
Their reply was: We were going to change it when you would come for annual oil change.. No comment..
I booked service with them to change the bolt and I asked if someone could look at the clutch too. Sales guy at the desk took it for a test ride and came back saying that everything is normal, no problem there and that the technician will also do a test ride.
When he came back, I could tell by the look on his face that there is an issue and he experienced the clutch slip – finally, I was not imagining things..
While they were talking things over at the back I was looking around the showroom, testing bikes (I am considering multi950/hyper) and sales guy finally came to me that they will submit the warranty claim in the system and let me know if it was approved.
So I asked about the brakes, if he felt anything strange when he was stopping and he said that it looks like the rotor is warped. ?!?!? No comment 2.. Therefore, if a customer does not ask, why tell them there is something wrong with their bike?!?!
We agreed to add the brake rotor to my warranty claim. This was not without the usual „You know, this is scrambler, these brakes are not meant to be performing so hard and well. In addition, your rotor seems to be purple-ish in color too, you like to brake hard, right? And you know, it has 18K kms on the clock..“ ?!?!? No comment 3..
„How about the deceleration rev matching with occasional „cough“and possible stalling, that you also experienced when you were approaching the dealership from the test ride – I could hear it from here?“ I asked. His reply: „You know, it is these V-twins Italian bikes, it is normal and common with them“ No comment 4..

Rusty gunky screws holding fuel cap, not worth mentioning lol

So here we are 6 days later, my warranty claim was rejected due to the photos not being enough (no idea why they took them, how was it relevant)..
I need to come back, they have to measure the disk, take apart the clutch and issue warranty claim again..
So I decided to try the last thing – renew my communication with Ducati Italy – Ms Fabiana from customer Service. We will see..

Don’t get me wrong, I think that Ducati is great brand with great products and I understand that with new model, there is always this period of time, especially with the early production where there are going to be mistakes made. I am just sick and tired of dealing with people who sell the bike and lie straight to your face.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My usual thought when I visit dealers like that: "Why do you lie so much? I'm not stupid, I can see there's a problem. Don't tell me there isn't..."

Sadly, this is why I don't use the dealers for servicing my Mercedes, my iZip electric bicycle, or my Ducati. I've located three excellent independent mechanics who listen to me, answer my questions, inform me about things I don't know/need to know, and maintain my vehicles properly. Warranty? Well, if the vehicle is maintained properly and gives no problems, who needs it? And if there's a problem that is a warranty issue, it does happen occasionally, I have full, honest, objective documentation as to what the problem is and I go to the dealer and say, "This you are liable for, it must be taken care of." And they know I have the law on my side: they always take care of it.

I refuse to be bullied by dealers.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have to say, I've not had a fantastic experience with Ducai dealerships. It's a shame because the bikes are good but it seems to be the franchise nature of how they run the showrooms. The experience between dealers can be stark and some of the staff have just been absolutely useless, borderline negligent and in one particular case, I'd say fraudulent.

I've been lied to and let down by two Ducati main dealers (both part of the same regional group) which is frustrating, as the dealer I've stuck with since is 2 hours away. If I didn't like the bikes so much, I'd be long gone. The Triumph dealership down the road from me operates on an entirely different level but unfortunately I just can't force myself to love any of their bikes...
I struggle to understand it sometimes. I mean, if I was as bad at my job, I'd be out the door within the week. All I can think is that the level of pay isn't there. Every dealership I've dealt with seems to be constantly struggling with staff shortages, which massively impacts the quality of service. If you aren't getting the staff, you aren't paying enough...

I think Ducati is now selling more bikes per year than ever before but their dealership culture is taking a while to evolve out of the super premium low volume ways of the past. I could watch older guys swapping in their 1199 Panigale's for a newer 1299 or buying something to go along side their Multistrada and getting a very different experience to me. Sure I was buying a Scrambler this time but now I'm after a Hypermotard and next time, who knows.

The fact each Scrambler sale makes the dealership about £500 (An excuse I've heard) is moot point as I'm certain they make a fortune out of the accessories and the Scrambler is doing it's job. Selling in bucket loads and probably lowered the average age of a Ducati buyer by a few decades.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles. I too have the disk warping issue and have been told that there's no hope in trying to get Ducati to do anything about it.

I hope you get your issues resolved.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ducati Leeds that I use have been fantastic on both my scramblers, Ive had my disc and resonator replaced foc and it was genuinely a pleasure (got to ride other Ducatis for the day), they remember my name and what bike i ride on every visit ( not that many) so not all dealers are the same apart from price (expensive).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ducati Leeds that I use have been fantastic on both my scramblers, Ive had my disc and resonator replaced foc and it was genuinely a pleasure (got to ride other Ducatis for the day), they remember my name and what bike i ride on every visit ( not that many) so not all dealers are the same apart from price (expensive).
I absolutely agree, I have had more than great experience with local KTM dealer. (They sell Shoei and other accessories that I got from them) to the point, where I started to look more and more into their product line and I am even considering buying used SMT 990 (from a friend I ride with, he had it since new and his experience with the dealer is even better) as a replacement for scrambler..
I was made aware, that theymy dealer will need at least 14 days to receive any opinion from whatever authority decides on warranty claims. And from my experience when they say 14, it means a month, since it took them a week to even test ride the bike first time I opened the issue with the clutch. (some 10K km before :p )

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure I was buying a Scrambler this time but now I'm after a Hypermotard and next time, who knows.
This!

If I buy another ducati, it will most likely be old Multistrada 1100DS with Ohlins and low miles to turn it into a scrambler during winter ;) That, or XR1200

No way I would buy a new one and deal with the dealers around here again..

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

My Scrambler DS is my 4th Ducati, bought with the same dealer. I experencied several warranty claims (4 for a Sachs rear shock on my 2nd ST2, warped disk on my first ST2) and several recalls. Everyhing has always been well managed, but I must admit that I always went to request this with lots of informations coming from the Net and from owners mailing-lists and forums.

Not in the Ducati world, but with my Honda VFR800, I experienced the electric regulator issue, as many other VFR owners, but I didn't know I wasn't alone. The dealer answer was "oh, that's a pity, you're the first one... and it will costs you 1000 francs..." Some months later, I found the information that many VFR had the same problem. I came back to the dealer, told him he had been lying and I was re-funded after a warranty claim, although warranty period was off.

For my 2nd ST2, when I experienced the first issue with the Sachs rear shock, I came with a copy of a web site talking about several owners who experienced the same and there has been no discussion for the warranty claim...

So, in any case, you must be informed and must not hesitate to use the power of social networks to get what you want. No need to be agressive, just be firm and say "ok, you don't want to manage my problem, but how will you manage the bad advertisement I will make for you and your brand on the Net ?"

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hello

My Scrambler DS is my 4th Ducati, bought with the same dealer. I experencied several warranty claims (4 for a Sachs rear shock on my 2nd ST2, warped disk on my first ST2) and several recalls. Everyhing has always been well managed, but I must admit that I always went to request this with lots of informations coming from the Net and from owners mailing-lists and forums.
Not in the Ducati world, but with my Honda VFR800, I experienced the electric regulator issue, as many other VFR owners, but I didn't know I wasn't alone. The dealer answer was "oh, that's a pity, you're the first one... and it will costs you 1000 francs..." Some months later, I found the information that many VFR had the same problem. I came back to the dealer, told him he had been lying and I was re-funded after a warranty claim, although warranty period was off.
For my 2nd ST2, when I experienced the first issue with the Sachs rear shock, I came with a copy of a web site talking about several owners who experienced the same and there has been no discussion for the warranty claim...
So, in any case, you must be informed and must not hesitate to use the power of social networks to get what you want. No need to be agressive, just be firm and say "ok, you don't want to manage my problem, but how will you manage the bad advertisement I will make for you and your brand on the Net ?"
It is interesting. The dealers do trawl these forums and are keen not to have too much negative attention. I generally try to avoid naming names now but will give praise where it's due. I've been dealing with Ducati Lincoln (Italia Moto) for a while now and they've always been great. It's a shame they are about 2 hours away from me but I won't go near my local dealer group again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like the things are moving after all. Well, bike is there since the beginning of August. (3rd)

I received a call from Ducati customer service mid-August, apologizing for late reply (vacation time in Italy etc) I explained everything and they promised to look at it.

The dealer called me yesterday 29/08/2017 asking if I wanted to change the pads, since the warranty claim regarding the warped disk was accepted. So I agreed to have new pads with the new disk, which they will order and I shall wait another week or two..

Since they maintained perfect radio silence ever since I dropped my bike there, I asked about the clutch. “It was changed, you have new clutch”, he replied. (he has to have this info at least two weeks, because this is how long they claimed it would take to order replacement and install it)

Anyway, this turns more into „I have an incompetent dealer“ rant rather than giving you feedback about my issues.

So, at almost 19K km, I have new clutch, new front rotor and pads and a new sprocket set and heavy duty chain which I changed before I took my bike there..

Too bad I bought KTM SMT few weeks ago from a friend and although KTM is 6 years old, I doubt I would make longer trips on scrambler and will most likely sell scrambler once I have it back, or next spring..

If it was not for the dealer network close to me I would most likely be buying multi 950 or hyper 939, but not after all this BS :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
It is interesting. The dealers do trawl these forums and are keen not to have too much negative attention. I generally try to avoid naming names now but will give praise where it's due. I've been dealing with Ducati Lincoln (Italia Moto) for a while now and they've always been great. It's a shame they are about 2 hours away from me but I won't go near my local dealer group again.
I've dealt with Italia Moto for two years and found them a pleasure to deal with, nothing is too much trouble - Highly recommended.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts