Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just noticed an oil leak under my bike this morning. Probably happened from a curb I jumped over downtown yesterday. I tightened the filter and washed it, but turned on the bike and the leak is coming from the general area of the filter.

Time for a new filter and oil change? Could I have done serious damage to the bike? Anyone else do this before? feeling dumb (again)
20170731_081412.jpg

edit : tightened it with an oil filter gripper and it was way loose. its tightened now, but i'm still going to buy a new filter and replace the oil. back to the normal question, can these kind of bumbs damage the bike? should i be okay?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Definitely new filter. The outside might not leak, but the insides could be rearranged enough to let oil bypass the filter media. Anything can be broken if hit hard enough. I put a plate on mine because I was dinging the filter with gravel.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
There is an oil pressure relief valve located at the base of the filter, this will allow oil to pass even when the filter is choked for example. The damage shown on yours could have interfered with the valve and you may find although the engine is getting oil it is not being filtered.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Never mind that having a high pressure stream of hot oil shoot out from the filter, in front of the rear wheel and your feet, if it cracks further in service would not be a pleasant circumstance... :angel4:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

It's urgent to change the oil filter before doing anything else. If the oil level didn't go too low, you've certainly not damaged anything. But, don't run your bike like this, change the oil filter, put enough oil in it to get a good oil level and go to your dealer for a deeper check-up... and buy a skid plate to protect your filter :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, quick update :

I changed the oil myself and added about 3.5 quarts of the recommended oil. It totaled to almost 90 bucks, which is a lot compared to my newish Subaru outback (10)

All in all, it was way easy and I'm glad I did it. I checked the levels before I changed it and it turns out I lost a lot - so I'm glad I listened to you guys.

Bike is running strong! No leaks at all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts