Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding it pretty hard and noticed the engine was having trouble keeping up. Was doing 50-60 in 6th gear and the bike didnt feel right. I pull over and as I downshift I notice the bike isnt engine braking.

After pulling over I decide to turn it off and then back on. I tried to ride and the bike isnt going anywhere. The engine is working but its literally taking me nowhere.

My desmo service is due in 900 miles so I'm going to have them look at it. I just want to know what to be ready for.

Is it the clutch and will it be spendy? I may be looking into a different bike once this is all fixed.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Pretty sure they won’t.

Did you have any warning signs before it went out? Too little freeplay for example?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm assuming there's no adjustment left in the cable? Mine started 'revving out' without any change in forward momentum a few weeks back (which sounds a lot less severe than yours) but a quick adjustment seems to have sorted it. For now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Barnett is probably one of the more popular kits, they have been on business a long time. If you’re mechanically competent and have the service manual you can handle it yourself. YouTube is your friend. Otherwise any motorcycle repair shop can do it easily.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I would assume so.

But yes, always keep a little free play, once the clutch starts slipping because of lack of free play, it's toast.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To answer the above dude, my icon is a 20015 with 14k miles as now. wishing I had a japanese bike now as this wouldn't happen to a Honda >:[.

i'm going to ask Ducati about that clutch kit.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

It really seems to me that Ducati built in the Thailand factory are more concerned by this clutch issue than the bikes built in the Bologna factory.
I've read a lot of posts like these ones and they all come from out of Europa owners.

Maybe the clutch provider is different or the clutch free play is not correctly set up in the Thailand factory...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Interesting point. I believe my cafe was built in Italy so fingers crossed. I haven’t had any of the common problems, but my header is blue as balls. Most photos I see I only see a little bluing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It just pisses me off. A bike from 2015 really shouldn't be having issues like this. Really, Ducati? Can't build a decent reliable bike from an old solid engine ? Smh. My bike is literally perfect for me except this crap.

·
Registered
292 Posts
clutch free play is not correctly set up in the Thailand factory...
That is set upon assembly of the bike at the dealership.

Or at least it' supposed to be. The bikes ship without the handlebars mounted, and mounting the bars and then checking proper adjustment of all of the controls is part of the proper setup and pre-delivery procedure.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That is set upon assembly of the bike at the dealership.

Or at least it' supposed to be. The bikes ship without the handlebars mounted, and mounting the bars and then checking proper adjustment of all of the controls is part of the proper setup and pre-delivery procedure.
Agreed, a bike with that mileage and age then the clutch adjustment is down to whoever has been servicing it, assuming the fault is down to maladjustment. Even Jap bikes will fail and do, often, if badly serviced or abused.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I will probably order a new Barnett clutch kit in the next couple of k miles, in case all of the sudden start having problems.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts