Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1305 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rode my new 2019 Icon about 250 miles around the Santa Cruz Mountains to finish up 250/600ths of the run-in period, and figure out I'll need to sort this bike out. Engine, handling, and brakes seem spot on, but the suspension this is going to require some thought. And I must say, these bikes sure throw mud! Why is this so, I wonder? Does it never rain in Italy? Do teams of trained Sicilian road-scrubbers head out ever morning to rinse away any dirt and grime? Whatever the answers may be, a Pyramid fender extender and Puig rear tire hugger are in this bike's future, along with a Gigi windscreen to deal with winds around here.

Then I get to go through all the threads to pick up as much contradictory information as possible about suspension upgrades :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought the Ohlins kit and it's made the bike so much better.
Did you do full Ohlins or just the rear? I'm thinking of putting an STX46 on the rear, because that looks like an easy job, seeing how that goes, then deciding what to do about the front. It's been several zillion years since I've pulled set of forks apart, so I'm not in a terrific rush to do that one myself. But first I need to measure the sag, which may have to wait until I get a lift so I can get the wheels off the ground and measure the fully-extended length. I must say, this bike demands a bit more 'owner involvement' than my Tiger. Fun! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Bursig lift showed up on my doorstep today so after putting it together (an easy 15 minute job) and getting the adapter plate sorted out (two hours I will not care to remember), I finally had a chance to measure the sag. If I got this right -- not very likely, since I was doing this alone -- Rider+Bike suggests the preload is spot on, but when I compare this to Bike Only, it looks like the front may be a wee bit stiff side and the rear a wee bit soft.

Ohlins STX46 is on order for the rear, and could arrive in a week or three. Front may have to wait until my bank account grows back...

·
Registered
94 Posts
So, I had my surgery 4 weeks ago. I didn't lay the bike up, my Brother kindly offered to ride it a couple of times a week... I decided to do a few jobs and mods meanwhile. I bought a new unused ReXxer Evo unit from Haikanko on this forum (cheers Chris) and decided to do the MWR power up mod including air filter and o2 sensor unplug. Finished this morning and flashed the ecu.
My Brother took it out for a short ride, all positive so far. The intake sounds awesome.
I STILL CAN'T RIDE IT THOUGH... :cussing:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
59266124-3B22-4562-A75E-773AAAE348A6.jpeg
T
5CCF92DD-108C-4C18-A1E7-346EB9462A35.jpeg
937A6CCD-9538-4EA8-8FDC-3260BA58C528.jpeg
Just a quick ride on my usual route, love this bike! Also New tyres (attack 3)are so far great.
After today’s ride I’m not sure about the fat boy kit I’ve just bought (180 wide front tyre) as I don’t want to spoil the fun but been assured by down and out that the bike still handles really well with the massive front.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nothing exciting for the last 2 weeks after damaging right knee ligaments when I fell backwards off a ladder while attempting to check the levels of my rainwater tanks. May be off the Scrambler for another week or two so hooked up the battery trickle charger. It's so frustrating not being able to ride.:BangHead:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Took the bike in for its 600-mile service (well, it was more like a 726-mile service, but hey). Then I installed that Ohlins STX-46 on the rear. This was complicated by the following logic problem:

1) You can't get a socket wrench and 8mm hex driver in to remove the shock lower mounting bolt until you remove the rear peg bracket.

2) You can't remove the rear peg bracket when the bike is on a Bursig lift because the lift fits into a socket mounted on the peg bracket.

3) You can't take the socket off, remove the rear peg bracket, then remount the socket, because one of the peg bracket mounting bolts also holds the sidestand on -- fortunately I noticed this in time to avoid the Great Toppling :)

Eventually I figured out a way to get the shock lower mounting bolt out and reinstall it by making an improvised torque wrench out of a hex key, a length of pipe, and a 10-lb dumbbell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got my FT back on the road this weekend after it had been sitting in my garage for over a month while I worked on it and waited for parts. I upgraded a number of things and now have a much better performing and responsive bike...

ASV levers, aluminum belly pan, MWR power up intake, Rexxer remapped ecu, EBC brake pads and SB suspension - Ohlins FKS501 up front and JRi double adjustable shock in the rear.

The greatest improvement was with replacing the shock, made me realize that the stock shock works best...when its thrown in a dumpster.

duc3.jpg

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Got my FT back on the road this weekend after it had been sitting in my garage for over a month while I worked on it and waited for parts. I upgraded a number of things and now have a much better performing and responsive bike...

ASV levers, aluminum belly pan, MWR power up intake, Rexxer remapped ecu, EBC brake pads and SB suspension - Ohlins FKS501 up front and JRi double adjustable shock in the rear.

The greatest improvement was with replacing the shock, made me realize that the stock shock works best...when its thrown in a dumpster.

View attachment 39315
Can you feel a difference with the new filters or is it all noise?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Armo I can definitely feel more power but I did the remap at the same time so I cant say it's all due to the filters. The front wheel comes up easier in 1st and under hard acceleration a quick shift into 2nd will also lift the front wheel...it never did that before.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Armo I can definitely feel more power but I did the remap at the same time so I cant say it's all due to the filters. The front wheel comes up easier in 1st and under hard acceleration a quick shift into 2nd will also lift the front wheel...it never did that before.
That's means it was worth it, I have the termi race chip which is similar to the rexxer (so I'm told) but no air filter mod and yours sounds more lively than mine!

·
Registered
43 Posts
...and SB suspension - Ohlins FKS501 up front and JRi double adjustable shock in the rear.

That might well destroy the average dumpster :)

Just out of curiosity, what spring rates did you go with, and have you had a chance to measure the sag?

·
Registered
104 Posts
PPF'd the tail section of the bike. Being that I ride with a large backpack normally, and the fact that the paint is satin on 2019 Cafe, this will keep it from getting scratched. Try and ignore the wavy line, I hand trimmed this stuff, which is difficult to do without going thru the material and contacting the paint.

·
Registered
192 Posts

View attachment 39315

I saw those inspection stickers and thought "hey, those look like Virginia inspection stickers". Sure enough, you are here.

Where exactly are you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what spring rates did you go with, and have you had a chance to measure the sag?
Fork springs are 7.0 N/mm and rider sag is 51mm
Rear spring is ?? It's a Hyperco spring, I tried looking up the model number but can't find rate info on it. Rider sag is 33mm.

I haven't yet tried setting sag but my numbers show they need tweaking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I saw those inspection stickers and thought "hey, those look like Virginia inspection stickers". Sure enough, you are here.

Where exactly are you?
You're right and i'm in Annandale, not far from DC. I've only seen one other scrambler around, it was a yellow Icon that I'd sometimes see on my way to work in Fairfax. Wasn't yours was it?

1261 - 1280 of 1305 Posts