Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1305 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
You're right and i'm in Annandale, not far from DC. I've only seen one other scrambler around, it was a yellow Icon that I'd sometimes see on my way to work in Fairfax. Wasn't yours was it?
Nope, mine has a red tank and very distinctive mirrors (stockers reversed and inverted). You should be able to see it in current form in my gallery. Closest I get to Annandale is East Falls Church for Vietnamese food at the Eden Center. But I need some tips on install work (including rear shock) and warranty work in the area so we can take it to PMs if you want. Don't want to derail the main thread too much... it's already at 107 pages lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your picture makes me thankful I bought a scrambler and not a Harley or triumph.
Yeah, While my buddies and I were at a pit stop during our ride. A guy rode by with a new looking triumph with his girl on the back, they stop and he pointed at my Ducati, stated to his girlfriend, "That's the bike I wanted!" I think I'm the only one right now on this Island with the 2019 Ducati FT. Feeling pretty special for the moment. :D

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Bike in the stirrups for the next few days. I installed a new front tire this weekend, and noticed two days later it was flat. I have sealed my rims a while ago, and a little water sprayed on the spoke nipples confirmed my hunch, I had damaged the seal....

I'm going to start all over again and seal the spokes first with silicone before I install an new layer of 3M 4412N...

IMG_6166.jpg
IMG_6167.jpg

And yes I wish for plain aluminium colored rims...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Bike in the stirrups for the next few days. I installed a new front tire this weekend, and noticed two days later it was flat. I have sealed my rims a while ago, and a little water sprayed on the spoke nipples confirmed my hunch, I had damaged the seal....

I'm going to start all over again and seal the spokes first with silicone before I install an new layer of 3M 4412N...

View attachment 39583 View attachment 39585

And yes I wish for plain aluminium colored rims...
Please can you do a step by step photo/instructions as I need to do this.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Please can you do a step by step photo/instructions as I need to do this.
Well, makes no sense to post a tutorial. because I failed. I tried three times this week. The spoke holes are just so close to the sidewall of the rims' well. And to top it off the gold paint is very slippery. I even added silicone to each spoke first, which makes matters even worse. 3M 4412 or 4411tape does not like n or stick to silicone. Anyway, removed the old tape, ordered new tape, used that, still wouldn’t hold. re-reinstalled new tape again, still wouldn’t hold. Pinched the old tube I had laying around… stressful week for me, believe me.

I guess I got lucky last year when I sealed them, although I did already have to do a repair before...

Back to a tube in the front. And kudos to my wife for letting me use her reliable DR650 this week.

I may one day get a set of sealed wheels from Woodies Wheel Works, but I do know now that if I do, I want them in plain aluminium/silver. Not painted nor anodized. It's just unpractical to have colored rims when you install tires yourself...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Well, makes no sense to post a tutorial. because I failed. I tried three times this week. The spoke holes are just so close to the sidewall of the rims' well. And to top it off the gold paint is very slippery. I even added silicone to each spoke first, which makes matters even worse. 3M 4412 or 4411tape does not like n or stick to silicone. Anyway, removed the old tape, ordered new tape, used that, still wouldn’t hold. re-reinstalled new tape again, still wouldn’t hold. Pinched the old tube I had laying around… stressful week for me, believe me.

I guess I got lucky last year when I sealed them, although I did already have to do a repair before...

Back to a tube in the front. And kudos to my wife for letting me use her reliable DR650 this week.

I may one day get a set of sealed wheels from Woodies Wheel Works, but I do know now that if I do, I want them in plain aluminium/silver. Not painted nor anodized. It's just unpractical to have colored rims when you install tires yourself...
Bummer! I thought you were the man that can!

·
Registered
17 Posts

Bummer. I had this tubeless conversion on my to-do list for next winter, but I guess I'll hold off. Henry Crew was able to patch a puncture and run tubeless (no tape, no sealant) on his round-the-world trip, but I guess he got lucky too.

Thanks for sharing your challenges along with your triumphs!

1281 - 1300 of 1305 Posts