Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the scrambler is only 185kg and has about 75 hp why does it have such a wide rear tire. Is this only for looks or does it have a purpose ?
I changed the rear wheel to one out of a scrambler sixty2 that has a 160 wide tire instead of 180. Its also 1.3 kg lighter. Riding the scrambler now its more flickable at low speeds and does not feel like it falls into a corner anymore ,also at higher speeds . Now its more comfortable to ride on really bad roads and off road .
Take for example the BMW f800 GS which has 10hp more and weighs about the same and has only a 150 rear tire.
Would like to hear your opinions about this.
BMW F800GS 10.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Been wondering that myself. My TRX had a 160 which was fine.
So it fits the standard 800 alloy wheel ok?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bugger....anybody else know? I'm keen now.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I think it will strech out the 160 tire too much because the 800 rim is too wide for that tire and will mess up the profile . Try finding a 400cc owner to do the swap or buy the rim second hand. I found one cheap online.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Ducati tradition. At least recent tradition. Almost all modern Ducatis have wider rear tyres than the equivalent bikes from other manufacturers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Function be damned, I like the look. If the rear tire was too skinny I wouldn't have bought the bike. Maybe I'm shallow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm a bit more bothered by the dismal choice of tyres for the 18" front wheel than I am about a slightly too wide rear wheel.

bm

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've never seen a Ducati ad, let alone a Scrambler ad.
For 75hp a 150 or 160 tire would really be ok.
For most of the riding I've done over the past year I've ridden on 100s, which look perfectly fine on a scooter with 7.2 hp.

I may not NEED more than 150mm on a bike with 75 hp but I sure like the way it looks.

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why do you think this?, michelin metzeler pirelli dunlop continental avon can all supply fronts.
Haha ... I probably should have been more specific.

Yes there are many options for trail and dual-sport type tyres, but limited choice of good road rubber for 18" wheels. Well, unless you want touring or commuter tyres anyway.

After a year and a bit on Pirelli Angel GTs, which are about as good a choice as we have, I'm seriously thinking of going to go back to the OE MT60s. As far as I can tell they use the same compound as Diablo Rosso Corsa tyres, which explains both their epic grip (for a trail-style tyre) at least in the dry and their hilariously short life.

bm

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
When the Honda Hornet 600 first came out many years ago with a 180 on the rear I don’t recall it being an issue, not sure why it is now with an 800cc high torque bike.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts