Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I received the Ducati Soft Bag kit and off course no directions included along with an explanation from the Ducati reseller that Ducati hasn't posted directions anywhere which is kind of dumb, but anyway. I had read another persons post earlier about dropping the rear fender and that the mounts attach to the grab bar area after removing the four plastic plugs which went smoothly except for one of the rear fender screws I have to have the dealer look at as it will not thread back into the frame.

My main question to the reseller was that there are two straps included for each bag, one large and one small. The large one I am sure is a carry strap for the bags if you want to remove them, but I am totally unsure of what the smaller similar strap is for. As well I'm not too impressed with the plastic panels that are held in place by a little velcro square one the sides of each bag, but other then that them seem well made by Givi.

Here's the straps I am referring to:

WHAT IS THIS SMALLER ONE BELOW FOR?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dave,
I have those bags and installed them myself without issue. I just figured the smaller strap was to carry the smaller bag. The bags strap securely to the bike with the straps that are on them. Did you try and thread the problem bolt back in with the fender completely out of the way? It may help to clear the threads and have a straight shot at it.

I thought the little plastic panels were pretty chinzy too, but they stay in place at speeds in excess of 110 mph. :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
sure you noticed, but not mentioned, the inner panels are fixed both by the velcro and by a small pocket on the opposite site. this will let them firmly in place.

as answered on other post, to manouvre the rear fender bolts, in particular the backward ones, after the side bags frames are on, the easy way is to use this one

the "rounded head" will let you manouvre with a little angle.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave,
I have those bags and installed them myself without issue. I just figured the smaller strap was to carry the smaller bag. The bags strap securely to the bike with the straps that are on them. Did you try and thread the problem bolt back in with the fender completely out of the way? It may help to clear the threads and have a straight shot at it.

I thought the little plastic panels were pretty chinzy too, but they stay in place at speeds in excess of 110 mph. :)
I did try that and still no luck I even tried the other fastener from the other side in case I got them mixed up but neither would screw into the left side.

I'll find out what that small strap is for since there are two of each two big/two small, and the big ones are I 'm assuming are the carry straps. I decided to let the dealer put the fender screw back in when I have my first service next week (so they can't blame me for damaging something) I talked to them already about it and they said no big deal so we'll see how that pans out since I gave it my best shot in every way I could imagine. It would be hard to believe that the frame threads would be softer then the bolt. Hopefully not.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I haven't used any of the 4 separate straps, since each bag has an attached carry handle. But the smaller straps might be useful to hook through the plastic loop at the top of the back of each bag, strapping the bags to each other -- for extra security (which doesn't seem needed) or to secure a jacket or something to the passenger seat between the bags.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mystery deepens I am going to be curious now what the official word is from the Ducati rep that the reseller said she would contact.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My GT1000 panniers had a safety loop stitched into the bag so I bet the small straps are for extra security' to keep bag secured. Long straps to carry your bag over the shoulder.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My GT1000 panniers had a safety loop stitched into the bag so I bet the small straps are for extra security' to keep bag secured. Long straps to carry your bag over the shoulder.
That may be it, it seems more likely then the reply I received from the reseller. Their reply was they "think" the small straps are to attach the bags together while they are on the bike for added stability. So those two straps would be digging into your seat the whole time. I don't think so.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Dave, did you figure out what the smaller straps were for? I had a hard time putting back the bolt on the rear right that holds up the rear fender. You got to get the bolt lined up correctly in a tight spot. The left bolt went in smoothly.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Dave, did you figure out what the smaller straps were for? I had a hard time putting back the bolt on the rear right that holds up the rear fender. You got to get the bolt lined up correctly in a tight spot. The left bolt went in smoothly.
No the dealer had no idea either. Our best guess was that the small straps are basically carry handles where the large straps are over the shoulder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going to make a custom mount for a rotopax gas can and I would like to use the same mounts the panniers use. Does anyone know the bolt size used to mount the pannier rack to the fender?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im really pissed that the bottom of the left/hand larger bag rubs on the swing-arm when going into dips.
It has worn through the inside corners of the bag, I would understand if it was an aftermarket bag but not a Ducati accessory at such crazy price

·
Registered
36 Posts
If your left side bag is hitting the swing arm then there is something wrong with the bracket. It probably just needs to be bent up little to cause the bag to hang out a bit more.
Also your top flap strap needs to be tight in order to give the front of the bag some support.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks ONduro yes I ended up bending it out about 20mm but that was after the damage was done.
Thinking it might have been bent in transit but both brackets had the same angle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts