Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today it was decided that 2-up Scrambling would be explored. So a trip from Lincolnshire to the Peaks was conceived... and after getting used to it I can report that from the driving seat it's all pretty good! The passenger was less convinced though... so what happened?

:book1:

First up the passenger was encouraged not to ride with the arches of the feet on the pegs as that would transfer all shocks directly up the legs. Balls of feet on the pegs please and let the ankle take a little weight...

Next up, the hand-grabs are actually rubbish, neither passenger or I are especially T-Rex-like in arm stumpiness stakes but it's a bloody awkward reach to those rails... so I think a DM/DB (can't remember - but they're out of stock in black) grab rail is in order...

OK so the shock. Well-debated and clearly determined as being a bit bargain-bin by all, but I've not griped thus far. It was clearly not helping. Whipped out the C-wrench from the onboard toolkit and gave a couple of clicks back to "off" on the preload. Seemed to please passenger. Win*!

Seat... lost cause, unless the pleather / leather is going to break in and reveal a hitherto unshown comfortable side... I've promised a gel-pack, I don't even know what I mean by this but it quieted the complaining a bit on the way home. Surely after more than 100 years of motorcycles it isn't asking too much on an £8k+ bike to have a comfy perch? Come on Ducati!

Exhaust... :D

That SC Project twin-cone job is looking pretty good right now. Compared to the carby 750 SS the Scrambler apparently sounds "weak" and during the return home there were a couple of asphalt / silencer interfaces as the standard exhaust struggled to get out of the way of the road at spirited moments.

Tyres... I :love4: the stock tyres on this thing. They are ace! They grip, and when they stop they break progressively. Confidence inspiring and fun. Well done Ducati and your mates at Pirelli!!

Tomorrow's another day, and after the first service the gloves come off! :headbang:

* remember how that cheap shock felt? That's why I'm "investing" in Öhlins, dear...

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Mixed bag two up then............................solution = just go out on your own :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was alright really. There are better bikes out there for 2-up touring, but as far as "bikes" it's one of the best! :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yet to do a "two up" but as the wifey is the worlds worse pillion and its been 10 +yrs since she's been on the back of a bike!!!!!
Rack has been fitted so she can use that, but invested in a oxford "love handle" belt looks pretty sturdy so I hope that will keep her on the back!! (reviews showed that a lot of infrequent lady pillions like them and feel safer)
Previous bikes had rear box or a sissybar to keep her upright! she has a habit of falling asleep so the loves handles keep her upright but how to strap her to the bike lol
Dont intend to do proper touring two up but 100 ish mile for a weekend away will be about it.
But I agree re the seat only done a couple of hundred miles at the moment but already looking into gel pads!
Other complaint is the tank another gallon would not make that much difference to the style or size overall.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Agreed on all points! I believe that the stock seat, at least on the Icon, is the result of serious design research of torture chairs from the Inquisition or worse. A new aftermarket seat will be purchased as soon as Sargent Seats here in the US has theirs available so I can compare it to the Corbin which looks rather a bit like it belongs on a Harley Davidson so I am not enthralled by its appearance. In the mean time no more 300 mile days. It is shorter rides until a new perch is in place.

·
Registered
Scrambler 1100
841 Posts
Did 2 up on test ride with my skinny grandson and he complained the seat is not very long and it's uncomfy

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
An upholstered or different seat will make a world of difference - it won't improve the stock shock to any great degree but will make it a lot more bearable! I was getting uncomfortable on relatively short journeys, something I've never had a problem with even on the hard narrow seat of my Suzuki that had hardly any padding, but since having my seat re-upholstered including a gel pad it is great :icon_thumright:. Only cost me £65 :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Never do big mileage but the wife says the scrambler is x10 more comfy than the harley 48. Infact 2 up the suspension works a treat and I don't mind the saddle too much but we only cover 70 ish miles on a trip out. Also Ive never had a comfy ducati, they all seem to have something that needs changing like the handle bars on my monster s2r were too low, my 696 bars were unbearable after 20minutes but the 695's weren't bad but the levers were too far forward. I don't like spending the extra cash but I do like to think once I've altered everything the bike is like a tailored suit! I've got to say the more I ride her (the bike not the wife:encouragement:) everything is gelling together just fine, the right amount of power, cool looks and handling to match. Love it!:congratulatory:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts