Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Tubeless Methods - 3M 5200 sealant, 3M 4411N tape, Outex system What are you guys using

• A. 3M 5200 sealant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. 3M 4411N tape

• C. Outex system

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a solo ride/camp excursion over the weekend and picked up a flat. I was only a couple hours from home, but it ended my excursion. My tool kit contains, a tube, patch kit, plug kit, CO2, and a small compressor. All useless since I couldn't figure a way to get the rear wheel off with out laying the bike on it's side. I didn't want to do that as this thing doesn't really have a scratch yet. Finally made it home and since it's about time more some new tires, I figured I make the jump to tubeless at the same time.
90% of my riding is on the road. I'm finding that most seem to use some sort of tape, or sealant.

What are you guys using ? Please vote in the poll if you don't mind. Thanks.

Bonus question: Anyone seen a bolt on engine/frame stand for these sleds? Be nice to get the rear tire off the ground without a track stand/lift.

Tire Sky Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
24 Posts
You need a trail stand. Have a look at this site

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Went out for a solo ride/camp excursion over the weekend and picked up a flat. I was only a couple hours from home, but it ended my excursion. My tool kit contains, a tube, patch kit, plug kit, CO2, and a small compressor. All useless since I couldn't figure a way to get the rear wheel off with out laying the bike on it's side. I didn't want to do that as this thing doesn't really have a scratch yet. Finally made it home and since it's about time more some new tires, I figured I make the jump to tubeless at the same time.
90% of my riding is on the road. I'm finding that most seem to use some sort of tape, or sealant.

What are you guys using ? Please vote in the poll if you don't mind. Thanks.

Bonus question: Anyone seen a bolt on engine/frame stand for these sleds? Be nice to get the rear tire off the ground without a track stand/lift.

View attachment 48742
I used both the sealant and the tape, had one slow leak in the front within a month but since then two years of riding without a hitch. I recommend the procedure, I’m very confident riding alone and or in remote places now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Saw you post this on IG and wanted to mention I once saw a guy use a fence post and a strap. He had the kickstand down and the rear lifted off the ground because the front end was pulled forward by the strap and post - similar balancing function as the trail stands. Didn't look ideal but in that situation what else you got.

I'm in the process upgrading my wheels with 21/18 Excels and plan to seal them. Lots of info about it and videos. This guy goes one round with tape only and gets a leak. He does the other wheel using sealant and tape and seems to have better results. I'm sure you've seen these but incase someone else has not:

Lastly I'm sure we're all familiar with this video but this will be my method and materials of choice (already purchased on Amazon, tape is not cheap):

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw you post this on IG and wanted to mention I once saw a guy use a fence post and a strap. He had the kickstand down and the rear lifted off the ground because the front end was pulled forward by the strap and post - similar balancing function as the trail stands. Didn't look ideal but in that situation what else you got.

I'm in the process upgrading my wheels with 21/18 Excels and plan to seal them. Lots of info about it and videos. This guy goes one round with tape only and gets a leak. He does the other wheel using sealant and tape and seems to have better results. I'm sure you've seen these but incase someone else has not:

Lastly I'm sure we're all familiar with this video but this will be my method and materials of choice (already purchased on Amazon, tape is not cheap):

I've seen the first two videos but not the 3rd. Thanks for posting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts