Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, 2018 model sled but in commision only 9 months and 4000 km. Rear brake fluid changed twice and bled three times. Front brake fluid changed once and bled twice. Just today managed to talk with my local (non Ducati) tech who said 'Air keeps getting in brakes, must be ABS fault'. Nobody else has said this to me. Ducati just say nothing, forum advice here and elsewhere is seals in master cylinder. So I am asking 'Anybody else heard of ABS faults admitting air to brakes?'

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I haven't (so sorry to clutter the thread) but if mine's left standing for any length of time (2015 Icon), which it has been during these covid times, the rear brake goes very soft. The front's fine though so I'm not sure what that says about the ABS.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't (so sorry to clutter the thread) but if mine's left standing for any length of time (2015 Icon), which it has been during these covid times, the rear brake goes very soft. The front's fine though so I'm not sure what that says about the ABS.
And was there much air in it Dean?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
And was there much air in it Dean?
(How bad is this…?) I don't have a clue :unsure::eek: I'm not a particularly heavy user of the rear brake so I've tended to ignore its spongyness. I can improve the feel if I pump it like hell for a few seconds if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(How bad is this…?) I don't have a clue :unsure::eek: I'm not a particularly heavy user of the rear brake so I've tended to ignore its spongyness. I can improve the fell if I pump it like hell for a few seconds if that tells you anything.
Yep, it says it's air.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
There you go then ;) I know I should care more! Hope you get yours sorted. If it is the ABS let us know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't see how any ABS system can add air to the sealed brake fluid circuit. It's just a piston that creates a temporary cavity to reduce brake pressure. Having just bled the front brake system myself with local motorcycle mechanic, he confirmed what I've heard others saying on here, that front master cylinder is garbage and seals terrible.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see how any ABS system can add air to the sealed brake fluid circuit. It's just a piston that creates a temporary cavity to reduce brake pressure. Having just bled the front brake system myself with local motorcycle mechanic, he confirmed what I've heard others saying on here, that front master cylinder is garbage and seals terrible.
Certainly prior to my local guy saying 'ABS' I thought I should change out both master cylinders. Any idea what upgrades would fit?

·
Registered
118 Posts
There's been some discussion before about how on the ABS unit, sometimes air gets in via one of the 4 banjo bolts. Either the tightness or the crush washer or something w/ the banjos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts