Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my DS but, like many it would seem, wish it sounded slightly more aggressive and less like a hairdryer!
There's been a lot of discussion regarding the pros and cons of various manufacturers (Akros, Arrow etc.) but given that the only one that Ducati appears to tolerate without ripping up your warranty and throwing it to the four winds, is the Termignoni.
Don't particularly like the look of the high mount Termignoni and the reviews seem to suggest that, despite an eye-watering £1K+ investment, the difference in sound is almost imperceptible.
Despite the same high price (which, of course includes the re-mapping) the Sports Line Termignoni (96480681A) reviews appear much more favourable regarding the better sound (deeper and throatier) but not "stupid loud" enough to have neighbours gathering after dark at the end of your road with flaming torches and a length of stout rope!
upload_2018-10-23_19-45-17.png

Without exception however, these appear to have been fitted to the non-Desert Sled models and, given the differences of the DS' dimensions, it remains unclear whether this could even be fitted to it.
I wrote directly to Termignoni who replied a week later saying that they were "fairly sure" it should fit!!
I pressed them a little further (Frankly, "fairly sure" doesn't really cut it when it comes to parting with a Grand!) and a week later a rather abrupt email told me that any further comms would have to be between me and Ducati, capisce?!
Undaunted, I redirected my enquiry to them...but it's all quiet on that front at the moment. (Somewhat ironically, given the nature of my enquiry!)
Anyway.....has anyone got any experience of mounting one of these on a DS?

Failing this, of course, I could just wait until the warranty expires in a year's time and buy an arrow at half the price and pay for the re-mapping, I suppose!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Won't fit, the bracket on the right side is in a different location. (higher, and closer to the brake master cylinder).

Any McGuyver should be able to fab a bracket, but it won't look as if it was meant for the DS.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Find it odd that Termignoni don't manufacture a racing exhaust designed specifically for the DS. (Other than the high-mount) I can't be the only one out there that wants a decent exhaust tone that matches the rugged look of the bike without ripping up the warranty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like what you've done to modify yours as I actually prefer the look of the twin-barreled stock muffler but I'm fairly sure that angle grinding lumps off them wouldn't go down too well with Ducati's Warranty Validation Department!!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I guess you're right. That said, the only thing I changed is the internals of the end mufflers, which were straight through absorption mufflers anyway. Headers are stock, cat is stock.

I really like the result though. Sounds a bit more angry, but still very decent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funnily enough, after re-directing my question from Termignoni to Ducati (at their request) Ducati Customer Service called me all the way from Bologna, Italy, on my mobile today!
Very impressive but, less so, the subsequent conversation which basically said that if doesn't come up as an accessory option for the Sled on the website, then "Don feet it, paysano, capisce?!!" (OK, I might have exaggerated that a bit, but that was the gist!)
Well, given that the only other muffler option that comes up is the high-line one which looks naff and sounds the same as the stock, I'm basically stuck with what I've got until the warranty expires in a year. After which, I'm tempted to get out the angle-grinder and go for the "Max Kool" special!!
Thanks for your advice, my friend!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did the MaX Cool modification and when I took my bike in for service, the mechanics at the Ducati dealership commented on how much better the sound was. Plus , I have 4 years left on my warranty. They did advise me to maybe leave the charcoal canister alone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like what you've done to modify yours as I actually prefer the look of the twin-barreled stock muffler but I'm fairly sure that angle grinding lumps off them wouldn't go down too well with Ducati's Warranty Validation Department!!
A question about the "Ducati's Warranty Validation". If I would do this adjustment and cut the end as described etc. Is there any way back? Can I re-install the original things despite that I cut down a few mm? ... :)

And if not, what will the cost be to get a new one? My bike is brand new and rly like to find a way forward to get a better sound without cut my 3 years of warranty away.

I have been looking for topics about exhaust for Desert Sled, but I cant find any good one.

What are my options for a better sound?

Bugdust, you mentioned some topic about Arrow exhaust?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
If you can weld, you can undo it of you ever wanted to. Wrap the insert with fresh wool, insert it, and TIG it up.

tbf, I don't see how this mod could affect warranty...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Buy a spare unit... probably plenty around now and modify that... that way you have original to go back on...
Will try to find one :)

Someone wrote that this could lower the effect a bit, due to turbulence in the end pipe etc. Any of you who have done this, can you feel any change?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Unbolting the mufflers is completely reversable and easy to do. Just fab a simple bracket to hold up the outer shield. On my 7500 mile check it was noted baffles removed on my checkup notes. The dealer mechanic had nothing bad to say about it though. 24k miles now and I still like it that way but I like having the option to put it back to stock.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Unbolting the mufflers is completely reversable and easy to do. Just fab a simple bracket to hold up the outer shield. On my 7500 mile check it was noted baffles removed on my checkup notes. The dealer mechanic had nothing bad to say about it though. 24k miles now and I still like it that way but I like having the option to put it back to stock.
Do you have any picture of this "simple bracket"? Did you set some net like Max Kool did to prevent stuff from falling in to the pipe?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The bracket is just a bar of aluminum I bent, nothing big.I don't really have a worry about stuff falling into my pipe although aesthetically the net looks nice. I just simple removed the mufflers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The bracket is just a bar of aluminum I bent, nothing big.I don't really have a worry about stuff falling into my pipe although aesthetically the net looks nice. I just simple removed the mufflers.
I got 2x crazykid- hooligans so I look for something from NASA...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts