Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'd like to install sport tires like Dunlop Q3+.
But the front wheel is 18" and the choice is almost non-existent.
Has anyone replace the front wheel with a 17" one?
Any suggestion or advices will be appreciate!
Thanks!
Noel.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Here you go…

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here you go…

Thanks Deano968 for link! (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could also try the Conti Road Attack 3, which gets very good reviews (and is available in 18” front).
Yes, it's just I like the slick look. I'd like to modify my 1100 to look like the scrambler Hero 01. I really love this bike!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, I finally received only one part, the one that was damaged. Thank you Mugello, but at this pace it will take 6 months before I got everything you promised and before I can ride my bike... Still waiting for the license frame support with the correct measures, the correct electric schematics and the installation instructions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
stupid question here, i have a special with the spoked wheels and tubed tires - can i put tubeless tires + a tube on or do i need to find a tire designed for a tube?

·
Registered
698 Posts
stupid question here, i have a special with the spoked wheels and tubed tires - can i put tubeless tires + a tube on or do i need to find a tire designed for a tube?
The tyre that's on it right now is also a normal tubelles tyre with a tube in it and Triumph are doing the same on their bikes so it should be fine to use a tubeless tyre with a tube. Don't think you can find many good tires that are specially made for tubed use nowadays. I would be hessitant to ride it at top speed though as the combo does heat up more but that's just me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been looking around for different options to get sport tires on the 1100. At some point, I was thinking to replace the 18" front wheel with a 17" one, but it seems quite expensive and complicated.
Maybe it's a stupid question, but has anyone mixed different tires of the same brand like a front Pirelli Angel GT with a rear Diablo Spuercorsa? or a front Dunlop Roadsmart with a rear Q3+?
I know that mixing radial tires with ply tires is not recommended, but I haven't recent info on mixing tires of the same brand.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
x.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've heard the same too, verboten to mix radial and bias.

As afar as different classes of radials...

This is just a theory, lets say there are 4 classes of radial tires, starting with Off Road and getting progressively more 'sportier':
Off road <> Adventure <> Sport Touring <> Sport <> Supersport.

If I were going to attempt mixing radials, I would not vary the class of each tire more than 1 adjacent step/class.

Example:
Off-Road + Sport = hell no
Adventure + Sport = no
Sport Touring + Sport = maybe/yes
Sport + Supersport = maybe/yes

Please don't take this advise as a recommendation. I would probably do this if I were somewhere I could not get a matching tire and had to get home.
If anyone can comment or add real world experience that would be welcome as I have wondered about this too.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I've heard the same too, verboten to mix radial and bias.

As afar as different classes of radials...
Some Indian cruisers come with a bias ply front, and a radial real, as well did the Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin. And I wouldn't be surprised if the bit KTM Adv twins come with a bias ply 21" front too.... The Michelin Anakee Adventure come with a bias ply construction in 21" only for instance....

·
Registered
767 Posts
The comments about mixing radials and bias ply tyres are incorrect as far as motorcycles are concerned. Many manufacturers actually supply bikes from the factory with a radial back tyre and a bias ply front tyre. Perfectly acceptable and perfectly legal.
What you cannot do is mix radial and bias ply tyres ON THE SAME AXLE. Obviously that does not apply to motorcycles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why would you even want that? Just get a get of decent tires.
(y)

Just wondering in case I'm in the middle of nowhere and they only have a bias ply Conti TCK80 for the rear. Hopefully the rear won't get too squirrelly.

But seriously, when the stock MT60s go I'll probably switch over to Angel GTs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts