Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped the counter sprocket (front) from 15T to 14T. This did not give me the lower ground speed at idle I was searching for. So, Sprocket Specialties made a new rear sprocket for me. This went from a 46T to a 49T. Much better! 4 mph at stock idle. 80 mph went from 6000 rpm to approximately 6300 rpm. Not buzzy at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
So, Sprocket Specialties made a new rear sprocket for me.
I started exploring sprocket options with my dealer after they shot down the idea of fitting a previous year throttle. They said it was incompatible, but I am not so sure after looking at a 2015 Scrambler service manual PDF. But, yeah, this will not address your speed at idle. Any thoughts on this change?

How easy is it to order this with Sprocket Specialties? Just tell them what you want (bike model and number of teeth) and they know the rest to take it from there? Any other info we should tell them when ordering?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Real world results have me doing less clutch feathering in stop and go traffic and easier maneuvering in the trails.
Sprocket Specialties took my order over the phone and 1 week later, I had it. $80 delivered.

What is all this talk about throttle swaps

·
Registered
64 Posts
What is all this talk about throttle swaps
There is a cam on the throttle tube that can be a simple, linear circle, or be somewhat oblong to make it progressive with different curves possible. Apparently, the pre 2017 scramblers have a linear cam leading to the "snatchy" threads you can see in this forum. The 2017 DS and possibly other models have a progressive cam to tame them, but as I complained to my dealer, "I have a problem with my new desert sled... I keep having to turn the throttle a lot. (lots of laughter)"
I too just purchased the G2 tamer because it sounds like a nice balance between the two. I will also get a new rear sprocket and a gold chain (tits!) to go with it. And then play with those options.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think I would like the G2 on my DS. Less turn for more is good if it doesn't become 'snatchy'.
On rocky uphill two track, trying to keep a pace, I already have had a sensitive throttle action with the stock throttle tube. It can be hard to be smooth on rocky ground (not to mention harsh forks). Of course I don't plan to ride too many rocky paths...
I will have to think long & hard on if this would benefit me. My DS scoots quite well as is.
Running at 80mph a fair amount which is 5600-6000 rpms, I don't need to lower my gearing, as it pulls well in 1st & 2nd off the pavement, IMO...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I dropped the counter sprocket (front) from 15T to 14T. This did not give me the lower ground speed at idle I was searching for. So, Sprocket Specialties made a new rear sprocket for me. This went from a 46T to a 49T. Much better! 4 mph at stock idle. 80 mph went from 6000 rpm to approximately 6300 rpm. Not buzzy at all.
Be careful, the sprocket police are out in the 'rear sprocket tip' thread.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I too went with a 49T rear sprocket and the G2 throttle tube. I am quite happy with the combo so far, but I still need to test it off road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to tips from this thread, I purchased a 14T & 49T sprocket from Sprocket Specialties and their service was great. Installed the 49T rear first and initially like how it feels, so plan to leave as is for awhile before changing out the front.
IMG_0677.JPG

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone knows if the rear sprocket from a 800 fits a 400? From 48T to 46T. Will the chain be too long or will there be enough adjustment left?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'll be very surprised if it doesn't fit, the wheels and swinging arm are the same. When I changed the 46t on my 800 for a 44t. The chain was fine, although getting near the end of it's adjustment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone knows if the rear sprocket from a 800 fits a 400? From 48T to 46T. Will the chain be too long or will there be enough adjustment left?
I went the other way and put at 14t front sprocket on my 400. Lowered the idle speed and improved the acceleration. I might try that sprocket speciality to get a 50t on the rear. I’m never on a highway, so no need for top speed, but great to have low idle and more acceleration.

Anyone tried a 50t on the rear? Does it fit fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts