Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else thinking about a set of stainless spokes from Buchanan Spokes?
They would need samples to copy to figure out a kit and after that anyone could order the kit.
Planning on a rear tire replacement soon and since I won't be riding much for a few months I
could pull some rear spokes and front ones too unless someone else is already in the process
of getting some made.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you offered your bike to be their prototype? I've know of a few people who have offered their bikes up to be a test model... mostly to local fabrication parts shops here in Sothern Cal but it's an easy way to get the part you want for cheap or even for free, it does however come with some inherent risk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A free set of stainless spokes would be cool but they don't offer that on their website.
Being in Iowa I'm too far away to drop off my sled for them to measure but
they may already have the specs so I'll check with them before I send spokes.

Buchanan's Spoke & Rim, Inc.
805 W. Eighth Street
Azusa, California 91702

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally sent some spokes to Buchanan's and had a set of stainless spokes made for the sled.
If you call or email them to order a set, tell them it's a Ducati Desert Sled and tell them to look up order #132619
They have different options for nipples and spoke materials, I went with both in stainless.
I paid $290.00 and swapped out my own spokes. Plenty of you tube videos to watch about motorcycle spokes.
The only difference you see when done is they are not as shiny as chrome, but I don't care for chrome anyway.
They do have an option for polished stainless for a few more $ if you wish.
Buchanan's Spoke & Rim, Inc

Reactions: danketchpel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess "swapped out my own spokes" may be a little misleading. You pretty much disassemble the whole wheel - tire, tube, nipples, spokes, rotor, and hub.
When you start to slide spokes out you will think Ducati designed a puzzle that can't be disassembled, but a wiggle and a twist, an occasional very
light tap with a plastic hammer to get past a tight spot and it all comes apart. Mark some holes with a sharpie so you get back together the way it came apart.
I recently bought a No-Mar tire changer with the balancing stand so I used that with a dial indicator for truing.
Wheel3.jpg
Wheel1.jpg
Wheel2.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's also important to measure your hub offset so you can duplicate it on reassembly.
I placed a precision rule on the rotor and measured the gap to the rim.

IMG_3607.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stainless steel spokes should have better resistance to corrosion than chrome plated steel spokes in the long run.
Also, peace of mind so I don't get up at 2 am in Viroqua Wisconsin and find a car wash to get the creek mud off the wheels!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ready to go! And it's snowing here in Iowa.
Stainless spokes, DID 520VX2 chain and AVON Trailrider tires.
sled spokes.jpg

Reactions: Deano968

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ready to go! And it's snowing here in Iowa.
Stainless spokes, DID 520VX2 chain and AVON Trailrider tires.
View attachment 31945
Nice job on the relacing. It's been decades since I've laced wheels. These days I'd just pay Buchanan or Woodys to do it as it really is a fair bit of work to do it right.

I really want to convert to tubeless on the Sled to loose the weight of the tubes.

I'm curious as to how you like those Avon Trailriders.

They look along the same lines as the original Tourances, Shinko 705, etc. both of which I've run on other bikes. I'm still trying to decide which way to go on the Sled, more or less aggressive. I was planning on a trying a set of Shinko 804/805 tires next.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Avon Trailriders, does have very good reviews, but street-focused 90/10 (90 percent street/10 percent dirt), when time comes I will probably buy the Shinko 705 - 80% street and 20% trail riding.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They definitely are street-focused. I'll probably go off pavement just a few times a year. I looked into having another
set of wheels with more aggressive tires mounted that I could swap in for those times but the cost was kinda crazy.
I ended up with a No-Mar tire changer that will come in handy as I change several tires every year between me and
my girlfriend and I'll get another set of trail tires for the sled. As easy as it is to remove wheels on these, you could
probably change both tires in an hour.

·
Registered
734 Posts
They definitely are street-focused. I'll probably go off pavement just a few times a year. I looked into having another
set of wheels with more aggressive tires mounted that I could swap in for those times but the cost was kinda crazy.
I ended up with a No-Mar tire changer that will come in handy as I change several tires every year between me and
my girlfriend and I'll get another set of trail tires for the sled. As easy as it is to remove wheels on these, you could
probably change both tires in an hour.
Hey, would like to be your neighbor to be able to switch tires also:rolleyes:o_O:D, with your No-Mar tire changer(nice piece of equipment)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Max, you got me researching tubeless spoke rims. 3M Extreme Sealing Tape 4411 looks like the way to go.
Sure would be nice to plug a puncture, air up and keep going. I already carry all the stuff in my tank bag for other bikes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Max, you got me researching tubeless spoke rims. 3M Extreme Sealing Tape 4411 looks like the way to go.
Sure would be nice to plug a puncture, air up and keep going. I already carry all the stuff in my tank bag for other bikes.
Thanks for the feedback on the tires.

I do plan to do more dirt on this bike but mostly fire roads etc with a good bit of pavement so maybe something between 60/40 and 70/30? I can say the Shinko 705s are pretty decent in the dirt as long as it doesn't get muddy or deeper sand. I have a set on the wire wheels for my Stelvio. I'm thinking to try the Shinko 804/805 to see if they are too far on the aggressive side or not. I've gotten some very good feedback from guys I know who have them on the larger ADV bikes, GS/AT/S10 and hear very little negative. I'm projecting a little more freeway noise from the rear compared to the stock Pirellis. The 705s are pretty quiet and the original Tourances are very quiet and last a long time, I had a set on my Vstrom 1000. Those Avon Trailriders look like an interesting option also. The tread pattern looks a lot like a mellower Metzler Sahara. I had a set of those on my Husky TR650 for a short bit. I think if I decide to go even more aggressive I'll consider the Anakee Wilds.

As for going tubeless, you're at the right point to make the conversion and I'd do it. There are a few ways to go and I'd agree the 3M tape is getting very good reviews, better than the Outex. I'm thinking to go that way.

A big part of my motivation is reducing wheel weight and being able to fix a flat easier. I've read the stock rear tube is easily 1lb and the front about 1/2lb. I also plan to go the next size down in tire size, 150/70 rear and 110/80 front both to make it more nimble and also to reduce weight. I think the stock tires are too wide, more a marketing decision than real performance decision. Ducati marketing loves wide tires. I have the next size down on the rear of my Sport Classic and it handles better. Moto Guzzi reduced the width of the rear on the Stelvio from 170 to 150 along with rim width and the handling improved.

What I'm not sure about is the rim width, the front rim is very wide so I'm hoping a 110/80 front will fit OK. If I were to ever replace the wheels with new rims I'd consider a little narrower to save weight and work better with the next step down in tire width.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, would like to be your neighbor to be able to switch tires also:rolleyes:o_O:D, with your No-Mar tire changer(nice piece of equipment)
If you were my neighbor I would have no problem with you stopping over to change a tire as long you clean up afterwards! :cool-29:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As for going tubeless, you're at the right point to make the conversion and I'd do it. There are a few ways to go and I'd agree the 3M tape is getting very good reviews, better than the Outex. I'm thinking to go that way.
I think I should put maybe 500 miles on the new spokes and bed them in good then I'll check them and wheel runout
and then I'll go tubeless. One thing I noticed while looking at methods used for sealing the rims was that I didn't see anyone
cover the tape with at least the rim strip or something better. I would be more comfortable if I knew the 3M tape had
a tight elastic strip applying pressure to it always.

Reactions: danketchpel
1 - 20 of 22 Posts