Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had the Icon for over two years and have done around 35k.

I experience stalling/coughing when I accelerate after I have geared down or up. Sometimes even when I let go of thee throttle and the accelerate again. The engine does not die though. Several check like the air filter/ spark plugs/ cleaning the throttle body etc were done and the problem still remains.

This happens only after the bike has run a couple of kms and mostly in the highways. In the city, with the constant change in acceleration and gearshifts.... I haven’t noticed much.

Now recently, I’ve noticed that the oil gets burnt like crazy. No leaks and no suspicious smoke.

Not sure how if they are related.
Someone I know did suggest that there could be a problem with the ideal control valve.

Looking to hear from you’ll on what possibly could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

I experience stalling/coughing when I accelerate after I have geared down or up. Sometimes even when I let go of thee throttle and the accelerate again. The engine does not die though. Several check like the air filter/ spark plugs/ cleaning the throttle body etc were done and the problem still remains.

This happens only after the bike has run a couple of kms and mostly in the highways. In the city, with the constant change in acceleration and gearshifts.... I haven’t noticed much.

Now recently, I’ve noticed that the oil gets burnt like crazy. No leaks and no suspicious smoke.

Someone I know did suggest that there could be a problem with the ideal control valve.

Take it to Ducati and they can check for fault codes. How much oil is it burning? Are the plugs oily, any oil in the air filter?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Is there a rush of air (in or out) of the tank when removing the cap ?
If the rank has been off lately then the breather pipe can get crushed which could cause symptoms like you describe. The air inlet hole in the cap itself could be blocked too.
I’ve not had cause to look but maybe there’s a fuel filter in tank, I know the Monters used to have one. Tbh. It does seem like fuel starvation .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Armo, it’s been to the Ducati service several times. They haven’t been able to figure it out. No issues with spark plugs and the air filter.(I’m on the third one and now have a BMC)
Every time they check the bike, everything seems to be ok and nothing comes up in their test rides because it doesn’t happen in the first 40 to 50 kms. Like I said, it comes up only after the engine has been running for a wile. It happens with any change in the acceleration.

Hui, That was the first check that was done. The drain pipes and the fueling system. Nothing untoward picked up there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the Scrambler have a tps that can/needs to be adjusted?
What I hear from the svc guys is that they are not allowed to fiddle with the TPS setting on the Scrambler. As per Ducati instructions. I got it reset through someone else though

·
Registered
227 Posts
Try disabling the Secondary Air Intake system. This system of allowing air into the exhaust system for emission requirements was causing my engine to die with a back fire through the airbox when blipping on a down shift.
Unfortunately this can't be a permanent fix if you still have a catalytic converter.
Worth a try for a couple of rides though.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
What I hear from the svc guys is that they are not allowed to fiddle with the TPS setting on the Scrambler. As per Ducati instructions. I got it reset through someone else though
Such BS (from Ducati I mean).

This is an essential part of properly tuning your engine, just like valve lash...and I’m convinced it can solve a lot of rough and poor running engines.

Edit: apparently it’s self calibrating, and you should be able to force it by switching the ignition on (leave it on and don’t touch the throttle during self test) and off three times in a row.

I haven’t tested this btw, mine runs good, sorry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Such BS (from Ducati I mean).

This is an essential part of properly tuning your engine, just like valve lash...and I’m convinced it can solve a lot of rough and poor running engines.

Edit: apparently it’s self calibrating, and you should be able to force it by switching the ignition on (leave it on and don’t touch the throttle during self test) and off three times in a row.

I haven’t tested this btw, mine runs good, sorry
Yes. I got the same advise from another friend and that’s done.

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thinking about it.... it could be your o2 sensors.
They might be breaking down slightly when hot and when you ride highways the throttle position is often steady for a period of time before you accelerate. The o2 sensors are used when holding a steady state of rpm like when on a highway.

·
Registered
114 Posts

My bike experienced the same problem. Dealer tried to find the cause. Discovered partially clogged fuel filter and defective O2 sensors. The problem only occurred after riding for awhile and only started after 11000 miles. Since fixing those two things the ride is like brand new. No more coughing. Smooth power through all conditions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
R
My bike experienced the same problem. Dealer tried to find the cause. Discovered partially clogged fuel filter and defective O2 sensors. The problem only occurred after riding for awhile and only started after 11000 miles. Since fixing those two things the ride is like brand new. No more coughing. Smooth power through all conditions.
That’s great to know! Have to check the O2 sensor....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thinking about it.... it could be your o2 sensors.
They might be breaking down slightly when hot and when you ride highways the throttle position is often steady for a period of time before you accelerate. The o2 sensors are used when holding a steady state of rpm like when on a highway.
Thank you. Having it checked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts