Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About every third time I start my 2019 Desert Sled for the first time that day, I have to try several times. I’m in Northern California so the temperature is not extreme. It ranges 50f - 90f and I have the problem regardless of the temp. What happens is that it’ll turn over about 3 times, then fire but it won’t continue firing, the starter just grinds away. I usually have to turn the key off, wait a minute, then try again. Sometimes it takes 5 - 10 try’s this way. Also there is the the strong smell of raw gas, like it’s flooded. I always have fresh, high premium gas. I never touch the throttle before or during the starting process. Once it’s been started and warmed up it starts perfectly on the first turnover. The bike is 3 months old and has 2200 miles on it. This is my third Scrambler and I also have a Monster 821 - Ive never had this problem with any of them. I’ll take it into the dealer since it’s still under warranty, but I want to go in educated so any insight will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello fellow Californian, my monster did something similar when the TPS was out of tune. Did you do any mods to it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just like Rewild said, there is a sensor on the throttle body that tells the ECU what position the butterfly is in which in turn calculates fuel mixture. Sometimes when TPS is out of tune it will give a faulty value and it will start bad. Not saying this is the problem just saying that the symptoms youre describing are similar to what I had on my monster before I reset TPS.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just like Rewild said, there is a sensor on the throttle body that tells the ECU what position the butterfly is in which in turn calculates fuel mixture. Sometimes when TPS is out of tune it will give a faulty value and it will start bad. Not saying this is the problem just saying that the symptoms youre describing are similar to what I had on my monster before I reset TPS.
Perfect! Thanks! Is the TPS difficult to reset (like does it require the Ducati software)? I will pass this on to the dealer service guys.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 2020 SCR was doing that from the day I bought it (literally in the dealer parking lot). For three or four days, the bike would not cold start without flooding or bogging on startup. Warm starts were instant. It has been about a week and 400 miles later with no starting issues, although it isn't a good, instant cold start. I let me dealer know and will keep an eye on it. I have a Termignoni on order, a Rexxer on the way, and the MWR PUK waiting to be installed. I want to make sure there are no starting issues before I install anything so my dealer cannot blame the mods. The good thing is I bought the Termi from them and they know it is having a starting issue (without the mods).

Good luck with finding your issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes you will need a software and cable to reset. For older bikes like my 2008 Sport Classic the software is readily available for garage wrenchers but I don’t know for the newer bikes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try turning on ignition and waiting a few seconds then start, or turn on twice before startingg
seems to be an issue, once mine starts the FI seems to be hunting for proper fueling

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, I always wait for the fuel pump and electronics to kick in. My XDiavel doesn't mind being started early (without waiting), but the SCR does not do well. I checked my plugs today and found that the factory (bike is only a few weeks old) set the gap incorrectly. The gap was way short. One cylinder was running hot and the other was cold/fouled. I set the gap and it now starts almost instantly (although still sounds weak for the first 2 seconds after starting). I'll put new plugs in this weekend (since one is fouled).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts