Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having issues starting my Scrambler Icon (2016). At first I thought the battery was bad (despite the fact it was displaying 12.6v on the dash) so I rushed out and bought a new one. Fully charged, it still won't start up and when i turned the ignition key to the off position I hear a faint rumbling sound emanating from underneath the tank. I even tried jump starting it with a neighbor's car and still no luck. I'm scratching my head over with this one so any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm guessing the rumbling under the tank is the fuel pump. Other than that I'm not clever enough to help! I'm convinced many on here are though so hang in there :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi,

Noise seems normal. I had a similar issue, checked the battery, clutch lever and side stand sensors, then a tech from my dealer diagnosed the problem without even looking at the bike: faulty kill switch. It was changed under warranty, and seems to be common due to lack of proper weatherproofing on our luxury bikes :)
For the odometer dashes, contact your dealer, it should be fixed under goodwill warranty..

Valentin

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Could this be anything to do with entering the PIN code? (sorry not got the manual to hand).
Quoting the manual page, attached to my previous post:

If a string of flashing dashes " ----- " is displayed within odometer function, please contact a Ducati Dealer or Authorised Service Centre.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Quoting the manual page, attached to my previous post:

If a string of flashing dashes " ----- " is displayed within odometer function, please contact a Ducati Dealer or Authorised Service Centre.
Sorry, thought that may be a different 'string of dashes' twas just a thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

Noise seems normal. I had a similar issue, checked the battery, clutch lever and side stand sensors, then a tech from my dealer diagnosed the problem without even looking at the bike: faulty kill switch. It was changed under warranty, and seems to be common due to lack of proper weatherproofing on our luxury bikes :)
For the odometer dashes, contact your dealer, it should be fixed under goodwill warranty..

Valentin
That seems like the most likely cause to me considering the night before I tried starting it there was a bad storm outside lol
Hopefully killswitch replacement isn't too complex as my warranty was voided awhile ago

·
Registered
70 Posts
Could at least trying to spray some WD or anything in the switch, flip it back and forth a few times...
100% agree, if not (smoothly) replaced under warranty I would try to open it / wd40 / clean and dry the contacts or whatever before replacing the whole part :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yep, I'd give cleaning a try. Turn signal switches, too. Just pick up a can of contact cleaner that's safe for use on plastic housings.

Sarah

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, cleaned up the connections on the start switch (found a little spider web within the start switch plastic housing lol). Still no dice. Whenever I press the button, there is a click near the battery and starter solenoid. Also, forgot to mention, the clock reset itself when I tried starting it up again and the dash displayed "SW: 13". Not sure if this is an error code or not.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Alright, cleaned up the connections on the start switch (found a little spider web within the start switch plastic housing lol). Still no dice. Whenever I press the button, there is a click near the battery and starter solenoid. Also, forgot to mention, the clock reset itself when I tried starting it up again and the dash displayed "SW: 13". Not sure if this is an error code or not.
This typically points to a low battery...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Dang. You did a good blasting job with that contact cleaner? And have clean, tight connections at the battery? Wonder what else might have been affected by that rain the other night? Connection at the starter?

Sarah

1 - 20 of 26 Posts