Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Steering lock issue

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Elizabeth 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I had an accident today where a lady in her car cut me off and made an emergency brake.
I'm fine, but the bike took a pretty big hit. Nothing too bad fortunately but the steering lock doesn't work anymore, and living where I live it's pretty dangerous to leave a bike unlocked even in your own building garage. The key simply refuses to turn all the way to the locking position.

Any thoughts about it could be? I like doing stuff with my own hands before heading to a mechanic or to the Ducati dealer.

Thank you lots !

#2 ·
Something is out of line. Since the lock obviously wasn't engaged when the accident happened then it's bolt is unlikely to be bent so the problem must lie with the fork alignment. Is the front wheel dead ahead when the bars are straight? Slacken off the wheel spindle clamps and the pinch bolts on the bottom yoke. Then put the front wheel against wall and bounce the forks up and down a few times. This should help to bring the forks into alignment. Re-tighten the clamps and pinch bolts and check the steering lock again. If no improvement I suggest you take it to your dealer to have it checked.

#3 ·
I went to a shop and asked them to take a look. The guy there just lifted it up, took a quick look, and started hitting on some stuff between the forks with a hammer... And now everything is just fine and rides very well. He did that for free, haven't even asked for payement lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.