Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear I can't remember how to do this each time I need to. I've done it once....

I went to turn it off again last weekend for a dirt section. Got into the menu portion where ABS shows then couldn't recall how to get it to switch off. I know, I know, RTFM..... but it still seems to take multiple mystery stabs at both buttons to make it happen and even then not always.

Where I go wonky is after I've gotten to it to display the current status, the button steps to actually switch and save it. I'm tempted to just turn off the ABS forever and put a piece of tape over the annoying little orange icon. I rode bikes for decades before ABS existed so it's more natural to me than having it.

I'd like to be able to switch it off/on easily with a single friggen button like I can on my Stelvio.

Am I missing something? Maybe it makes more sense in Italian......., the below is from the English manual.

ABS control unit enabling/disabling
This function allows enabling or disabling the ABS
system.

Enter the Setting MENU.
Select the parameter to be customized (ABS), by
pressing button (1) or (2). Once desired parameter is
highlighted, press CONFIRM MENU button (4).

When entering the function, the currently set ABS
status will be displayed:
On = enabled, Off = disabled.

Menu indicates the available alternative option (RQ):
RQ OFF when current status is "On", RQ ON when
current status is "Off".

"OK..... what goes on here..."???

To quit the function without changing set status,
select EXIT using button (2); when its box is flashing,
press button (4).

To select a different status than the one set, press
button (1); alternative option (RQ) starts flashing in
the Menu.

Press button (4) for 3 seconds to confirm. WAIT is
displayed in the Menu for approx. 5 seconds. New
status will then become steady on and "EXIT" box will
be flashing.

Press button (4) to quit the function.

Setting the ABS mode.JPG

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
In the big display is the current setting, "RQ" mean the requested/required setting.

Once switched off, it stays off, even after shutting the engine off and back on again.

Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the big display is the current setting, "RQ" mean the requested/required setting.

Once switched off, it stays off, even after shutting the engine off and back on again.

Is that what you mean?
No, I get that.

What I get messed up on is the button pressing sequence, especially once it shows RQ xxx to change it. For the life of me I couldn't get that sequence out on the trail yesterday. I got to RQ xxx but couldn't figure out the sequence to change it from ON to OFF, I'm pretty sure you press the #4 button (turn signal cancel) to confirm and save it.

I probably need to sit there with the manual and practice it a few times and make notes in my phone for out on the road. Or like I said, I'll just leave them off period. If you've got the process wired can you write it down here?

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had chance to test ABS last weekend: riding long downhill on gravel road, when I realize I need to take this turn ... but I was going way too fast ... grab handful of front brake ... I could hear how ABS modulates brake. No problem! ABS works great on modern bikes.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Once in the ABS screen:

Press top button (RQ-OFF starts to blink)
Press and hold center button (main screen changes to OFF after 5 secs)
Press bottom buttom till the “exit” symbol is selected
Press center button
Done

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once in the ABS screen:

Press center button
Done

Thank you Max for putting that together.

I will practice it....... plus put the steps in my phone as "I'm pretty sure" I'll forget unless I do it on a more regular basis.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once in the ABS screen:

Press center button
Done

Thank you Max for putting that together.

I will practice it....... plus put the steps in my phone as "I'm pretty sure" I'll forget unless I do it on a more regular basis.
You can do it, it’s not hard
LOL....of course.

I went through it a few times last night to practice.

What's funky is the period of time required to hold down the #4 confirm button. For menu navigation it's very short, but to make the switch from RQ = ON to OFF or vice versa it's very long. I think that's what threw me in the field, I didn't hold it down long enough for it to change from ON to OFF.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried putting a piece of black tape over the annoying ABS icon that blinks when you have the ABS off. It works well, you can hardly notice the tape as it blends into the black ring that surrounds the instrument and the flashing icon no longer annoys me.

There's a pretty good chance I may just leave the ABS off all the time on this bike. I grew up riding bikes w/o ABS and rather prefer it that way. My brain is the ABS.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Sorry but I cannot see any benefit in turning ABS of on the road and I can see plenty of negatives. The indisputable fact is that a vehicle equipped with ABS will stop better and allow the rider/driver to avoid any potential obstacle better than a vehicle not equipped with ABS. Turning off ABS on a vehicle on the road is exactly like not wearing a seat belt because the driver believes they have excellent skills and won't crash. It ignores that fact that there are other road users who should be assumed to be about to do the most idiotic thing possible at any moment.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry but I cannot see any benefit in turning ABS of on the road and I can see plenty of negatives. The indisputable fact is that a vehicle equipped with ABS will stop better and allow the rider/driver to avoid any potential obstacle better than a vehicle not equipped with ABS. Turning off ABS on a vehicle on the road is exactly like not wearing a seat belt because the driver believes they have excellent skills and won't crash. It ignores that fact that there are other road users who should be assumed to be about to do the most idiotic thing possible at any moment.
From what I've seen too many riders become dependent on ABS and just blindly grab a huge handful of brake.

For me growing up and riding without it for 30 years I instinctively don't grab huge handfuls of break and know how to feather them close to the edge. I might ask, how many race bikes have ABS.....

It's OK though, to each his own, and having a choice to turn it on or off is really nice. That way we can all get what we want.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with K1W1: if you have perfectly fine working device that make you life easier why turn it off?
... and yes, "for me growing up and riding and racing without it for" 40 years doesn't make sense turn it off. When you hit slippery spot on road ABS may save your skin and bones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts