Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.
My ass hurts after less than one hour driving the DS, specially the coccyx.
I've searched the net, but it seems that the Ducati comfort seat is hardly better.
I've given a try to the Mustang seat, which is indeed much better in terms of comfort, but since I am 6'4, I'd really dont need a lowered seat.
The higher seating of the comfort seat would suit me well.
What are your experiences in terms of seating ?
I wonder if I should have my stock seat redone and upgraded, or if there is a good solution on the market.
I want a "flat" seat where I can freely choose where I want to sit, without a recess like the Mustang.
Thanks for your opinions !

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Stock seat is a torture device yes. It starts out nice and comfy, but within 20 mins you hate it. Tailbone agonizing.

I would give Seats Concept a shot, or get a Nitroheads seat if you prefer the slim profile with aftermarket side panels...

Both seats are firm, flat, and don't creep in your crack (like the stock and comfort seats do).

Nitroheads heads up: the stitching is not waterproof sealed. This won't matter much for the occasional shower, but if you plan a lot of wet rides or your bike sleeps outside in the rain. Don't buy it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm happy with the Mugello seat, I tried the comfort seat, which was a little better but not much, and the mustang, which was a bigger improvement, but like the OP, wanted to move around some. The Mugello is about as flat as it gets, still rises towards the rear some but lets me move forward or back at will. Its very firm, so if you like soft seats its not for you, but I find that hard is not necessarily uncomfortable.
DSCN2722B.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Max Cool, didn't see the answers.
Actualy I live in Paris, might be a bit far away to test your seat, but thanks for the offer !
If I pass by .....

·
Registered
47 Posts
The seat is terrible, well, it depends ...
My last bike before the DS, was a Yamaha MT09. That was a really unbearable seat.
The comfort of the seat depends on its surface and shape, not on how soft it is.
The larger the surface on which your weight rests, the better.
The seats with gel, or "comfort" type usually do not give any results.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm very happy with the Sargent seat I just got. I need to put more miles on it to know how it will be after a long day but I can tell already that it's a massive improvement over stock and this is the 4th Sargent seat I've owned so I have a good idea of what it will be like over time. What I like about it is the seating area is wide and flat so you can move around and the foam is firm but compliant enough so your bones can sink in and it doesn't feel like a plank of wood.

A couple pix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I just had my sargent seat done.
Coming from a Mustang seat it is a big change, in height first as the Sargent seat is 1 or 2" higher than stock. I feel less "incrusted" into the bike, more sittinh on top of it. It influences the handling, and the feeling on the bike. Nothing problematic, just a change to get used to.
My legs appreciate the height, since I'm 6"4.
I still can easily place my 2 feet flat on the ground, but maybe not every one will.
Comfort is much better. The first feel is fairly firm, but the larger sitting aera and possibility to move around on the saddle are a good plus.
Let's see if it softens a bit with time.
All in all a different bike now, a nice one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Coming from a Mustang seat it is a big change, in height first as the Sargent seat is 1 or 2" higher than stock. I feel less "incrusted" into the bike, more sittinh on top of it. It influences the handling, and the feeling on the bike. Nothing problematic, just a change to get used to.
My legs appreciate the height, since I'm 6"4.
I still can easily place my 2 feet flat on the ground, but maybe not every one will.
Comfort is much better. The first feel is fairly firm, but the larger sitting aera and possibility to move around on the saddle are a good plus.
Let's see if it softens a bit with time.
All in all a different bike now, a nice one.
That's interesting as my seat is definitely about 3/4 - 1" lower than my stock seat. Did you get a tall option?

I really like the flatter seating area and I think the foam will be about perfect for long periods. Usually foams that feel "nice n soft" at the start of a ride are horrible by the end as they pound down. I've come to prefer the firmer foams but will say Corbin pushes the boundary and their seats are borderline wood like.

The ideal is firm with a little compliance so they conform to the boney bits. I really like dual density, firm base with a little softer top layer. Also it seems like the best foams are kinda "dead" feeling when you push on them with your fingers, they don't bounce right back but come back slowly. Those foams seem to be the most comfortable.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Coming from a Mustang seat it is a big change, in height first as the Sargent seat is 1 or 2" higher than stock. I
The Sargent seat is lower than the stock seat. (It's 1/4" higher than the Low seat, but a little more than 1/2" lower than the stock "regular" seat.) It might *feel* higher, because it's a little wider, but it's not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're right.
It's not a Sargent Seat I have installed, it's a foam and cover kit from Seat Concepts.
To be installed by yourself or a upholstery shop.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have recently fitted a Sargent seat. Only one ride of about 65 miles but it feels good so far. Also only read good reports for it.
I've probably got about 500+ miles on my Sargent seat and after breaking in a bit it's it's just about ideal. The longest ride on it so far is only 100 miles so I still need to put it to the 200-300 mile test as things start to get different when you pass the 200 mile mark.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts