Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not really a problem or issue, but I saw these on the frame while my shock was being changed. The pic is out of focus so you can't really see - I'm fairly certain they haven't been made by anything rubbing as they are clean gouges/cuts out of the metal like some machine has made them, either for some purpose or by accident. They are at the eye end of the shock, and I hadn't noticed them before. Anyone any ideas as to what they might be? I'll try to get a better pic but the Nitron is on now and it will be a bit tricky to photograph.

P1120535.jpg

·
Registered
764 Posts
Is it possible that the silentbloc bush in the shock has been compressing under full bump and the shock itself has been contacting the swinging arm?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I thought I'd replied to this, Mustn't have pressed send :rolleyes:

Derek's right, My rubber bush was badly damaged, I think I posted about it when I fitted my Nitron, Woods have it back now and doing a warranty claim on it, I suggest you do the same ,

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose it's possible - I will ask Woods but will having replaced the shock cause a problem? I'll post a pic of the old shock see what you think ..

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok all is resolved, took a trip to the dealers and apparently they are machine marks, it seems the original shock didn't have enough clearance so they have had to cut out space for it (you would have thought they could paint it though! o_O). It appears earlier models might have it - the demo Scrambler at Woods did, but later ones didn't, I expect the swing arm has been redesigned to accommodate it. Woods didn't know about it, the stock shock is much wider than the Nitron so you wouldn't see it unless you remove the shock. Not many people have changed shocks, I expect I'm the first to notice!

Anyway Woods have said they will take my bike when I'm not using it and paint the marks in the correct colour (as they are quite visible with the Nitron). Had a nice ride out to north Wales, thanks for the company Graham even if you did make me buy a t shirt! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Yes it was a bit of a shock, (no pun intended) to find they'd machined the swingarm to fit the shock, But they should have painted it, But Woods have come good again, they'll paint it FOC , good result Gill :)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I'm amazed that Ducati did this and thought they'd get away without painting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the kind of thing custom builders do to a mock up before re-finish. Not what you'd expect from a production line.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If they are finding the eye too tight, wonder it was at first fit problem or at quality control and a big hammer was used before they got the grinder out.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I don't think so Steve, It was properly done on a CNC machine, either the swingarm casting had too much meat in that area and they changed the casting for the second batch, or the spring retainer was too large and the changed that on the second run,
Ducati's only downfall was not hiding the error (painting it after) no one would have been any the wiser then ,

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I don't think so Steve, It was properly done on a CNC machine, either the swingarm casting had too much meat in that area and they changed the casting for the second batch, or the spring retainer was too large and the changed that on the second run,
Ducati's only downfall was not hiding the error (painting it after) no one would have been any the wiser then ,
I've just had a look at mine and the milling machine marks are there too. I can live with it for now.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In fifty years time those early models will be authenticated by the experts based on the machine marks on the swing arm. Pity I won't be around to show of my knowledge.
They might even have a 'rarity' factor :D

Interesting yours has it Hui, I thought your bike was a later one?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I thought that Gill, but Hui doesn't have an Icon, and I'm guessing they tried to build customers bikes in strict rotation to when they were ordered,
Ducati as we know had problems with sub contractors not getting the special parts to them on time, Hui,s bike and a lot of other bikes were perhaps part built, then put to one side awaiting the parts required to finish them off,

That's my theory anyway :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts