Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been ~100 miles since I got my piston slap issue fixed. The weather was warm today and after riding I stopped to open my garage and noticed a strange sound. Can't seem to figure it out:

I can even feel the vibration in the handlebars. Anyone ever hear anything like this?

Also, I had the bike in to get the 600 mile service when they did the piston slap fix so they should have changed the oil. I am getting a service oil light on the bike as well the oil level seems okay, it looks a little dark but I assume that's normal after 100 miles:
20200309_152956.jpg

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well that doesn't sound good. Might be the clutch assembly. Get it to a dealer asap. Oil level should be measured cold with the bike standing on a flat service and straight on it's wheels(but I'm sure you already knew this).
The service desmo service should be at 12000km and I'm not sure if it also gives an anual service warning. I hope it gets fixed soon and I'm sorry to hear you are having problems again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that doesn't sound good. Might be the clutch assembly. Get it to a dealer asap. Oil level should be measured cold with the bike standing on a flat service and straight on it's wheels(but I'm sure you already knew this).
The service desmo service should be at 12000km and I'm not sure if it also gives an anual service warning. I hope it gets fixed soon and I'm sorry to hear you are having problems again.
So I went back outside to start and listen again. I just realized my bike recently crossed the 600 mile mark (621). So it probably triggered the 1st service reminder on the bike which I just had done at 520 miles. So a little relief there.

I am not hearing the sound at all after starting cold. I will need to see when I ride again what happens.

Before I go look for the manual does anyone know how to reset the service reminder?

·
Registered
659 Posts
So I went back outside to start and listen again. I just realized my bike recently crossed the 600 mile mark (621). So it probably triggered the 1st service reminder on the bike which I just had done at 520 miles. So a little relief there.

I am not hearing the sound at all after starting cold. I will need to see when I ride again what happens.

Before I go look for the manual does anyone know how to reset the service reminder?
Ah I didn't realize you had so little miles on yours. I think the service reminder can only be reset by the dealer. Good to hear the sound went away when it was cold maybe someone knowledgable knows what this sound is. Next time if it returns try if engaging and releasing the clutch influences the sound.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah I didn't realize you had so little miles on yours. I think the service reminder can only be reset by the dealer. Good to hear the sound went away when it was cold maybe someone knowledgable knows what this sound is. Next time if it returns try if engaging and releasing the clutch influences the sound.
Well, now I have to ride around with the oil light on until a bring it to the dealer 🤦🏻‍♂️

Good call, I will try the clutch lever and see.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Regarding the Piston Slap, is there a Ducati Service or Technical Bulletin Number that can be referenced for this issue?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Dam yeah lol (sorry)

Anyway, doesn't sound good, just like some nut isn't properly tightened. As mentioned before, does pulling the clutch make a difference in sound?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You
Dam yeah lol (sorry)

Anyway, doesn't sound good, just like some nut isn't properly tightened. As mentioned before, does pulling the clutch make a difference in sound?
Scared the beejeebus outa me. This is what it looks like while running:

And I have not heard the sound since that day. I will need to take it for a long ride, maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Okay folks. I took the bike out for a spin today to see if I can reproduce the strange sound I heard in the OP. When I returned after less than 10 miles of riding I could hear a faint sound but nothing alarming. Pulling the clutch didnt make a difference. However, when I looked at my oil glass I saw what appeared to be condensation but upon a closer look it appears to be white sludge:

Now I know this cant be good. If I let the oil come down it is black and at the right level. I know if seals are busted things like this can happen from coolant mixing with the oil, but I thought we were air cooled. Does anyone know what might cause this?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Okay folks. I took the bike out for a spin today to see if I can reproduce the strange sound I heard in the OP. When I returned after less than 10 miles of riding I could hear a faint sound but nothing alarming. Pulling the clutch didnt make a difference. However, when I looked at my oil glass I saw what appeared to be condensation but upon a closer look it appears to be white sludge:
View attachment 44455 View attachment 44456

Now I know this cant be good. If I let the oil come down it is black and at the right level. I know if seals are busted things like this can happen from coolant mixing with the oil, but I thought we were air cooled. Does anyone know what might cause this?
There's no coolant so there must be some moisture in the oil. I suggest you drain the oil and replace the filter because something seems odd. Might also try smelling the oil if it smells like fuell or something. Als defenitely contact your dealer.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Moisture could also come frome short rides and the engine not getting up to optimum temperature so that the moisture evaporates. Regularly taking it for rides over an hour should do the trick in that case.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Moisture could also come frome short rides and the engine not getting up to optimum temperature so that the moisture evaporates. Regularly taking it for rides over an hour should do the trick in that case.
I've been looking around and found a few posts online with people complaining about the same thing. Seems like it's a common occurence. You're right, I need to ride it for a long time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
+1 on the recommendation for longer rides as a first step.

Not sure what the temps are like in your area, but w/ northern hemisphere just coming out of winter that could have been excess condensation. It could have normally burnt off during the summer with an equivalent distance/time ride.

Truckers in Canada will almost completely block the airflow to the radiators if the temps are really super cold. For our air cooled Scramblers, the next best would be to block air to the oil cooler but that would be an extreme measure if the temps outside were really cold. But then you probably wouldn't be riding if it's that cold.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts