Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so this maybe sac religious but has anyone out there switch sport bike tires over the semi off-road?
I don’t plan on using my bike off-roading I just like the styling of it, if you did what tire did you use and how much better did you find the switch?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I loved the grip and feel of the original MT60´s but they wear very quickly. I´m on my second lot of Angel GT´s.
They turn in and steer quicker which is different, not better or worse in my view, just different, its a personal thing whether you like that or not.They last about 30% longer though. On both tyres I run out of ground clearance long before grip or feel goes away so that´s not an issue either. Funnily enough they work OK on gravel or hardpack tracks too.

·
Registered
892 Posts
There are quite a few tyre related threads on this forum ranging from street tyres to full on knobbies. Over the years many people have tried all sorts of variations so doing a bit of a search will probably reveal some intersting reading.
The real issue with the Scrambler is the 18" front wheel. Not all tyres these days are manufactured in an 18" front size.
On our bike I'm definitely not wedded to the MT60s. I dislike Pirelli tyres at the best of times so when they need replacing it will more likely be with a 90/10 type like a Continental TKC70 tyre rather than a full street tyre but I'll see what is around at the time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Okay so this maybe sac religious but has anyone out there switch sport bike tires over the semi off-road?
I don’t plan on using my bike off-roading I just like the styling of it, if you did what tire did you use and how much better did you find the switch?
I put Pirelli Angel GT's on my old Scrambler Icon and they were great. As sticky and confidence-inspiring as my old Monster 1100. Last a helluva lot longer and have terrific grip. The MT60's were gone by around 5000k's. My new Scrambler Café Racer came standard with Pirelli Rosso 111's and they're fantastic as well. (The Café Racer has 17" wheels on both ends now too which I like a lot).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had Michelin PR3, Pirelli Angel GT, and Dunlop Road Smart 3 tires on my Multistradas.

They were all great tires. Pirelli were easier to flick left to right due to their profile, great grip, and decent wear. Dunlops had great grip as well, but not as agile as the Pirelli (minor difference), and I got the best mileage wear out of the Michelins -- 10k on the rear.

You can't go wrong with any tire these days from the top manufacturers. It comes down to personal preference and budget (look for rebates on sites). I am personally biased toward Pirelli due to their profile and feedback that I get from them.

Reactions: JohnnyL

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've used Shinko for the last 2 years, either the 009 or the 0010, which has an 18 inch front too. I go thru 3 to 4 rears a year and have use the premier brands but found that they wear just like the Shinkos. For an aggressive look try the Shinko 705s . I can lean just as well with them as the other and they are a little better in the dirt. How far do I lean?? rub the sides of my boot soles. Yes, feet stay on the pegs. Try Shinkos you'll save a ton of money. No I don't work for them or anyone---retired USAF.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shinko 705---corner as well as street tires and cost less---

1 - 8 of 8 Posts