Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2015 Scrambler from a reputable dealer over the winter. I just went to change the oil for the first time since (I only put about a thousand miles since). I immediately stripped the 5 mm Hex head - I think the plug was over tightened at the dealer. Any advise on how to remove the 5 mm Hex now that it is stripped? Going on a trip in a couple of days. Thinking of not bothering to try before, but still wanted to do the oil change myself like I have done in my other bikes.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am not sure of how much access you have but you usually force/knock a suitable size of torque bit into it. Or try really good Allen keys like Wera. I had trouble with Allen keys and I was recommended Wera and can honestly say I haven’t had any trouble since.
If it has a shank to it remove it with a pair of gland nut pliers or vice grips.
I think Ducati make their bolts of cheese.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise. I'll look into it. Out of curiosity, if I only removed the oil filter would I be able to rid of most of the old oil? It is located underneath...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leaving on a trip in 48 hrs and was hoping to change the oil before. I don't think I will get to fixing the drain plug before. My dealer is not close

·
Registered
906 Posts
Really it boils down to when was it last changed and how many miles will you do on your trip. I think if you are desperate, this time change the filter and check the condition of the oil.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The sump oil does not drain out the filter.
You can put a tube down inside the oil filler and draw the oil out using a syringe. (Lean the bike toward the clutch side) You’ll know if you have all or most of the oil out if you measure it compared to what you need to put in. I forget the exact quantity.
This will give you peace of mind and deal with the sump plug when you can afford more time or sure as fck you’ll end up in a fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really it boils down to when was it last changed and how many miles will you do on your trip. I think if you are desperate, this time change the filter and check the condition of the oil.
Supposedly changed by dealer before I purchased in January. I have put hardly 800 miles on the bike - I have other bikes as well. I was very surprised on how the oil looked in the window. Maybe, I am over reacting

·
Registered
906 Posts
Doesn’t sound like it needs an oil change. The oil nowadays is far superior than it used to be. I read somewhere once that some oils are good for 24k.
I personally wouldn’t bother and just enjoy your trip.
But if anything goes wrong I didn’t say that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The sump oil does not drain out the filter.
You can put a tube down inside the oil filler and draw the oil out using a syringe. (Lean the bike toward the clutch side) You’ll know if you have all or most of the oil out if you measure it compared to what you need to put in. I forget the exact quantity.
This will give you peace of mind and deal with the sump plug when you can afford more time or sure as fck you’ll end up in a fix.
Do you know if this is effective Hui - have you tried it? Inboard boat ownership got me used to using a vacuum pump on my vehicles. Advantages not so pronounced with the Duc though, which is why I've not tried....unless the sump plug is buggered.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
Alright...firstly, if the oil was changed in January, it should be changed once a year is my understanding or the mileage interval, whichever comes first. I would still change it especially if your riding season is starting or only part way through. Checking the oil won't help as it goes black fast, even new oil. I'd ask the dealer what oil they put in...if it's the recommended shell advance with proper weight...you're fine...

Second...regarding the stripped hex bolt...get a torx socket slightly bigger than the hex bolt and gently hammer it in to create new groves. Then use a ratchet to undo the stripped bolt. Up to you how you will get under it but the best option would be to suspend the bike from ceiling beams by ratchet straps...another option is laying the bike on it's side so you can work the torx socket in but you should put a lot of padding down on the ground and of course lay the bike down gently. Keep in mind that you may bend the shift or brake lever, which ever side you're laying the bike down on.

I bent my shift lever but bent it back with my hand...it's meant to bend when the bike goes on it's side.

Good luck, relax and be gentle when hammering the torx socket in...works like a charm though.

For next time, use a ratchet with hex socket and keep in mind that the hex socket goes quite deep to be seated properly...more than a 1/4 If memory serves.

Lastly, go buy a new bolt and crush washer first, before taking the old one out. :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Do you know if this is effective Hui - have you tried it? Inboard boat ownership got me used to using a vacuum pump on my vehicles. Advantages not so pronounced with the Duc though, which is why I've not tried....unless the sump plug is buggered.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
To be honest I’ve not done it on Scrambler but have done on many other engines over the years so can’t see why not.
Be wary of some fixes written on here, other than comedy value you could end up missing your tour.

·
Registered
906 Posts
To be honest I’ve not done it on Scrambler but have done on many other engines over the years so can’t see why not.
Be wary of some fixes written on here, other than comedy value you could end up missing your tour.
Eh! My fix is the same as yours, a Torx bit.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Eh! My fix is the same as yours, a Torx bit.
Eh! I don’t remember mentioning a Torx bit ??
Although I would probably try that 1st. and I have many options available to me but not just before a planned trip where things can escalate and cause problems.
Just hammering the Torx bit in can crack maybe an already weak sump.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Eh! I don’t remember mentioning a Torx bit ??
Although I would probably try that 1st. and I have many options available to me but not just before a planned trip where things can escalate and cause problems.
Just hammering the Torx bit in can crack maybe an already weak sump.
I mentioned the Torx...why would carefully hammering damage a sump and what do you mean by weak? You can jack the bike up under there so it's a pretty strong part of the bike...let's not scare the OP :)...he can deal with this when he returns from his trip as the oil is fine...

·
Registered
906 Posts
I’ve just made up another idea. If you have a scissor jack use it to press in a Torx bit. :barbershop_quartet_member:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I mentioned the Torx...why would carefully hammering damage a sump and what do you mean by weak? You can jack the bike up under there so it's a pretty strong part of the bike...let's not scare the OP :)...he can deal with this when he returns from his trip as the oil is fine...
I didn’t say it was weak, I said ‘maybe weak’ because I don’t know the history of the problem. That’s why I said not to touch it until after his trip, did I not?
For all I know the sump plug threads could be wrecked and the plug glued in with Belzona. Hammering in a Torx bit could easily back-fire.
Jacking up a bike @ the sump is a bit different to hammering it, the jack surface gently spreads the load.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I read somewhere once that some oils are good for 24k.
In car engines only not motorcycle engines. Car engine oil does not have to lubricate the gearbox or clutch the way motorcycle engine oil does. The shear forces on the oil in a gearbox re massive they literally break the oil apart over a reasonably short period of time. In a car gearbox dedicated gearbox oil can be used.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts