Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, hoping someone can please help me as I stripped the screw while trying to remove the panels from the gas tank today. I mean it’s pretty darn stripped and I have no idea how to get it out. The panel is now loose and driving me nuts! Please help! Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all, hoping someone can please help me as I stripped the screw while trying to remove the panels from the gas tank today. I mean it’s pretty darn stripped and I have no idea how to get it out. The panel is now loose and driving me nuts! Please help! Thanks
Allen key and second super glue cheers

·
Registered
894 Posts
Assuming you mean the screw thread is stripped. Drill off the head of the screw, remove the panel, then deal with the screw :unsure: Don’t use a drill the size of the head use one the size of the screw. From memory I think it could be M5 or M6.
If you mean the Allen key head has rounded off. Hammer in a Torx key to get a purchase.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The head is stripped not the screw thread.

Assuming you mean the screw thread is stripped. Drill off the head of the screw, remove the panel, then deal with the screw :unsure: Don’t use a drill the size of the head use one the size of the screw. From memory I think it could be M5 or M6.
If you mean the Allen key head has rounded off. Hammer in a Torx key to get a purchase.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
42 Posts
Try an easy out. First drill the screw head with a drill bit about the same size as the hex head. It at all possible get a drill bit that turns counter clockwise to drill. That way you will be drilling in the direction you want the screw to come out and it will heat the screw up from the friction of drilling. The combination of heat and the correct direction might loosen the screw all by itself. If that does not work then while the screw is still hot use the easy out. Find one that fits pretty tight so it gets a good purchase.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure where you live, but most hardware stores or Homedepot, Lowes have these screw bits that are esp. made for getting stripped screws out. Check the internet too it should sell them. There are a couple different ones. I have used them and they work well. They have SHARP ends that dig into the screw head and turn it out. Then you might need a tapping bit to re-thread the hole. GOODLUCK!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts