Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had pretty bad luck with the screws on my Icon so far. I was trying to get the front fender off and got 3 out of the 4 screws off OK. But the 4th oneis like frozen in time. Couldn’t for the life of me get it to turn. So now it’s stripped to all hell. Took off my side badges to take off the panels to get them powder coated and stripped both of those as well. I’m looking to buy on of those screw extractors today to hopefully get them out. Does anyone know where I can get replacement screws for either of those areas?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Proper sized screwdrivers help this issue massively. Plenty of downwards pressure also stops the driver from jumping out and destroying the head of the screw.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Proper sized screwdrivers help this issue massively. Plenty of downwards pressure also stops the driver from jumping out and destroying the head of the screw.
Every screw the OP is referencing is for a metric allen wrench. The problem is that Ducati used about a tablespoon of red locktite per screw.

·
Registered
126 Posts
One would call those cap screws. :angel7:

You tend to get these issues a lot now-a-days. Quality of fixtures and fasteners are shocking compared to those of just a few years ago.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've said the same thing many times, that they have either A) A gorilla working in the factory, or B) Use an alien form of loctite on the fasteners or C) Both... I have started having the dealer do certain mods because of this. Maybe that's their sneaky way of making us do that.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Warm the screw up slightly, this will soften the loctite,

A tip is to warm the head of the screw with a soldering iron, this softens the loctite enough to remove the small screws, The red loctite is too strong, you just need the blue screw lock,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts