Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in buying a 2015 Icon. The guy selling it hasn't used it and kept it outside since he bought it so i would get it for a steal. It start up and seems to be working fine with an idle of about 1500 rpms. But after revving the engine it gets stuck at 4000 rpm even though the throttle returns normal. After using the kill switch and starting it upp right away it returns to a normal idle so it doesn't seem like it's the throttle cable. While stuck in 4000 rpm i put in first gear and released the clutch slowly and then the engine returned to idle again. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Its ben running 3000 km / 1800 miles

·
Registered
153 Posts
@kan I have not experienced this or heard of the issue before, but from what you explain it could be an issue with the throttle position sensor (TPS).

I believe that on the Scrambler it’s a self calibrating unit and you should be able to force a reset by switching the ignition on (leave it on and don’t touch the throttle during self test) and off three times in a row.

Hope you manage to sort it out!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I could be wrong but not sure if the 800 scrambler has a throttle position sensor as it's a cable actuated throttle, which runs straight to the throttle body.
The bike has no ride by wire.

One thing I would check for, is if the current owner has a full license, was the bike restricted to meet A2 license requirements? On engines like this, it's common for a throttle stop to be placed on the end of the throttle cable that only allows maybe 60% throttle.
My friend had exactly this fitted to his 796 Monster.

If it hasn't been restricted, I would look to see if anything else is blocking the cam on the end of the throttle cable from moving fully.
If that's all clear, it could be an issue with the throttle bodies themselves, not being able to open.
Or, if the bike has been stood a long time, it could be problems with the fuel injection not being able to get enough fuel through into the engine.

E5 or E10 fuel can often turn to jelly when left for a long time and cause big issues with fuel systems.

To be honest, if it's anything more complex than the first suggestion, unless you are getting the bike for next to nothing... I would walk away, if you don't want a possibly big repair project.

here's a thread where someone with an A2 bike is trying to find the throttle body:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the answer! Im leanings towards finding another bike. It's not restricted to a2 and since it's been outside for a while i'm guessing it might be more problems than just that it gets stuck in high rpms.

Thanks again for the answers!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Thanks for the answer! Im leanings towards finding another bike. It's not restricted to a2 and since it's been outside for a while i'm guessing it might be more problems than just that it gets stuck in high rpms.

Thanks again for the answers!
The Scrambler's aren't particularly weather resistant, lots of parts rust and corrode quite easily, so probably better option to move on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts