Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping for some new rider advice and opinion!

I guess I fall into Ducati's target market in attracting new riders to motorcycling. The new bikes coming into the market are making motorcycling a really attractive proposition for me - fun stylish bikes. However, as much as I have fallen for the Scrambler I'm not convinced it would be the right bike for me.

My riding would be mostly commuting across London, with weekend rides out into the countryside. I can see it being the right bike for the latter but as a new rider will it be a hard bike to start commuting on? My experience on bikes is very limited and of course the first step should be to get my license and test ride some bikes. However, having done some research into loads of different bikes (and particularly the scrambler) my concerns would be particularly around the throttle response. Do you think this would make commuting in heavy traffic really hard work? I'm very sensible so would treat it respectfully but likewise I would want to break into riding a bike gently and not lose confidence at the first step. Other bikes I've considered are.

Moto Guzzi V7II - good looking bike, from review seems tamer than scrambler with a lot of the same appeal. I do prefer the looks of scrambler though. Might be easier to get on with as a first bike?

Yamaha sr400 - I'm not that keen on stock design and not as straightforward to customise.

MT07 - cheaper, available good looking bike but might have the same sensitive throttle issues and not so much customisation options? One of the local schools also use this as a trainer bike. If I find I can handle the power and throttle on the MT07 should I be ok on a scrambler? does anyone here have experience of both?

Kawasaki ER6N / F - Seem like MT07 but slightly easier to ride compared to MT07 from reviews?

Could these be more suitable to me do you think? Any other bikes I should consider?As much as I like the Scrambler I want to be safe and have fun more than anything.

Would likely take my test this year an cut my teeth on a 2nd hand bike first over winter months before getting a new bike next season.

Finally, if the a 400-500cc Scrambler was released do you think this is likely to be more suitable as a first bike? I'm thinking it may be worth my while to wait until this is released and also wait to see what other bikes are announced for next year (MT03...BMW Scrambler etc).

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Cheers and safe riding.

Russell

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum

I have the Icon and use it commute from SE London to The City every day. This is the first geared bike I have ridden since being a teenager, Previously to that I commuted on a 250 Vespa for 5 years until some **** stole it.

In terms of size and weight it makes for a good commuter - it's light an agile enough to manoever around easily in traffic. Being a twin and having a bit of a snatchy throttle it can take a couple of weeks to really get used to. Things smoothed out a lot after the first service.

After four months of riding I'm really pleased with my choice. It's a fun bike to ride, especially if you decide to take it out of London on weekends.

I had considered the MT07, but in retrospect I didn't get one. The scrambler is better looking, more fun and has way more options when it comes to customisation. The MT07 suspension is also looser than a wizard's sleeve.

I think if you went for a 400/500 you would probably want to ditch it after 6 months and upgrade so I think an 800 is a good option.

I guess I'm now a bit biased as I really lover the Scrambler, but that's my 2 pence worth.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
In all honesty, the best "first bike", especially for a city environment is a used "beater".

You are going to drop it, not "if" but most likely "when". You need to acquire familiarity and skills along the way.

It's best done on something tamer, more forgiving and less expensive IMO.

Most suitable starter bikes hold their value very well, and can be sold - when you are ready - for very little loss (most of the time).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input yellow icon. Of course just what I wanted to hear. My concerns have largely come from my brother who has owned scooters / sports bikes and and MT03. Whilst he liked the MT03 he did go back to a scooter for commuting in London and recommended the same to me. You may yet see a new scramber in SE London next year (I'm in Crystal Palace)...it would either be a yellow icon of FT for me.

Tony -agree with you and I plan to cut my teeth (potentially drop) on an older bike for a few months if I end up ordering a scrambler. Not planning on a new bike until next riding season anyway but may well have to wait a while anyway.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm in much the same boat though further down the "learner line". The Scrambler made me get my finger out and get learning. End of June seen me do my CBT. The following week I purchased a little Honda CBF125 to cut my teeth on. Learn the silly mistakes we newbies will make. Currently trying to get as much practice in on it as I can before going for a big bike (600cc) lesson next Friday.

Done my theory tests 2 Saturday's ago so that's outta the way. I'd recommend getting that done as soon as.

I plan on getting a Scrambler as soon as I can after my test as I'm 29 therefore aren't restricted as the under 24s are. My commute won't be a city commute but mostly B-Roads so the Scrambler is ideal. Super sports really aren't my kinda thing.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The Scrambler is definitely more at home in the 'twisties' and country roads as opposed to riding in town, and keeping it at low revs and in 1st/2nd can be a PITA! Not to say it won't suit you, as in general it's an easy bike to ride but the throttle does take some getting used to.

The Guzzi V7 is a lovely looking bike but doesn't have a lot of 'oomph' compared with others, only having around 47bhp - but it does have a huge 22 litre tank and mpg is excellent. It looks a bigger bike but is around the same weight as the Scrambler. The MT07 seems to be a good bike according to reviews - I was actually going to get one before I test rode the Scrambler! But didn't get to ride it so can't comment on how it compares, I much prefer the looks of the Scrambler to the futuristic shape of the Yam. It's also higher in the seat than the Scrambler. The Kwaka ER6 is a bit top heavy I think, but a good enough starter bike. Other decent bikes to consider for learning on are the Suzuki SV650 and SFV650 (Gladius). I had the latter and it's a really nice bike but is top heavy and about 20kgs heavier than the Scrambler.

As has been said it's best to cut your teeth on a 2nd hand starter bike, you will almost certainly drop it at some point - there are lots available at fair prices. You'd never forgive yourself if you dropped your new Scrambler! ;)

·
Registered
831 Posts
The Scambler is a great looking bike, some have found it a little anarchy on the throttle including me, one adapts to this. The SV 650 is a superb bike very sure footed and reliable , second hand very reasonable. I passed mine on to my husband , one of my sons and a friend , they all learned on the SV.
The MT 07 is a fantastic bike, economical and superb in the bends , a very economic bike and comfortable too.
So many good bikes to choose from nowadays. Happy shopping

1 - 7 of 7 Posts