Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sled is now due its first service. I listened to the advice not to adjust the suspension 'til it had run in a bit but now is the time to start tinkering. I have read the thread on settings here and thanks to the folks who posted but the questions I have are very basic:

1) I have tried and failed to undo the lock nut on the rear damper unit with the bit of margerine metal that Ducati included in the tool kit in the belief that it was actually some sort of spanner. Both nuts rotate together which makes the whole job a bit of a pig....anybody any suggestions as to how to get them apart? All I can think of is a drift but it seems a bit brutal.

2) All the reading I have done says that the preload adjustment is really down to load (So Me!) but in the manual Ducati give different standard preload settings for on road and off road, this is different from all the other advice, any ideas as to why they should say this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
My Sled is now due its first service. I listened to the advice not to adjust the suspension 'til it had run in a bit but now is the time to start tinkering. I have read the thread on settings here and thanks to the folks who posted but the questions I have are very basic:

1) I have tried and failed to undo the lock nut on the rear damper unit with the bit of margerine metal that Ducati included in the tool kit in the belief that it was actually some sort of spanner. Both nuts rotate together which makes the whole job a bit of a pig....anybody any suggestions as to how to get them apart? All I can think of is a drift but it seems a bit brutal.

2) All the reading I have done says that the preload adjustment is really down to load (So Me!) but in the manual Ducati give different standard preload settings for on road and off road, this is different from all the other advice, any ideas as to why they should say this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
1st you'll need to measure your static sag, only then would you need to adjust the pre-load.
One way to help with making adjusting easier is to lift the weight off the shock when adjusting, this can be done in a few ways but one of the easier ways for someone short on equipment etc. is to block up between the tyre and subframe. Both nuts turning together is common, I find that once the weight is off the shock then I can usually turn both of them together with my hands.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, what is your experience after adjusting the suspension, especially at the front while braking? I had a few try-runs on it but I found the suspension super loose and I only weigh 70 kg, it feels like flying over every time I brake. Also after adjusting sprocket ration will it be less jumpy in tight corners and roundabouts? (Dutch roundabouts)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts