Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just come back from a five day tour of the Ardennes.
My FTP was fantastic. It stuck to the road like the proverbial. My chicken strips shrunk to about 5mm.
I have oem suspension front and back. Have dropped the front to 10mm and have the back on mid point.
I am about 12.5 stone in my gear and 5ft 3.5".
How would upgrading the suspension help me? This is a genuine request for assistance, because I am always seeing that more experienced people on this forum agree that the suspension is not up to much.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
My FTP was fantastic. It stuck to the road like the proverbial.
The best reason not to spend any money on it imho. You've found your nirvana.

In the case of suspension upgrades (or most upgrades actually), ignorance is bliss bro.

btw, when I return from my boring commutes, I often think "I should upgrade this, or I should upgrade that", but when I return from a rewarding day in the canyons all I can think is:"This. Bike. Is. Perfect!!" because I had so much fun.

·
Registered
981 Posts
If you don't know what is wrong with your suspension and what you are trying to achieve by altering it all you are doing is giving your hard earned to somebody else.
Yes the standard suspension on the is not state of the art, yes it could do with some tweaking but from my point of view (maybe I have masochistic tendencies) I like it in that it suits the slightly raw and rough image of the bike and keeps me aware of the bikes limitations. Unless I was intending on keeping the Scrambler for a long long time or doing some serious track work on it (really? serious track work on a Scrambler?) I would keep my money in my pocket and use it towards the next bike. Suspension upgrades add exactly $zero to the resale value of bikes.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I had my front done by Maxton for £330 and it made £2000 worth of difference to the bike. Already had a Nitron on the rear.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had my front done by Maxton for £330 and it made £2000 worth of difference to the bike. Already had a Nitron on the rear.
Added £2,000 to the value of your bike?! Please confirm this and what other mods you have done with similar results. Your Scrambler could be worth £15, 000 + and we can all do the same.
Just looked up and seen a flying pig go by.

·
Registered
240 Posts
As someone who just spent $500 on a new Öhlins rear shock, I agree with most of the posts here. I've had my bike since 2015 and just now made the jump on a new shock.

Reasons: I like the look of the Öhlins, I'm ~160lbs and the stock shock was abusive at times, I live in Detroit where the paved roads are rougher than the dirt roads.

After 3 years of riding with no near-future plans to sell, I upgraded. I don't imagine the upgrade will add much (if anything) to the resale value but if it looks cool and rides better then it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Added £2,000 to the value of your bike?! Please confirm this and what other mods you have done with similar results. Your Scrambler could be worth £15, 000 + and we can all do the same.
Just looked up and seen a flying pig go by.
Sorry I think you mis understood my reference. I meant for £330 it made my bike feel so much better I might have spent £2000 for the same results. Didn’t mean my bike increased in value just comfort and performance.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Miss Understanding, Miss Takes sister.

I'm not knocking those that have upgrade at all. In my case maybe ignorance is bliss as Max said.

Only been riding about a year (5,500 miles) and still feeling my way (in the dark).

·
Registered
482 Posts
As someone who just spent $500 on a new Öhlins rear shock, I agree with most of the posts here. I've had my bike since 2015 and just now made the jump on a new shock.

Reasons: I like the look of the Öhlins, I'm ~160lbs and the stock shock was abusive at times, I live in Detroit where the paved roads are rougher than the dirt roads.

After 3 years of riding with no near-future plans to sell, I upgraded. I don't imagine the upgrade will add much (if anything) to the resale value but if it looks cool and rides better than it's good enough for me.
Can you please list some specifics on what is better about your ride? You're roughly the same weight as me and the fact that you rode the stock suspension for so long, I'm very curious as I'm also thinking to upgrade but reading these posts, having second thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Can you please list some specifics on what is better about your ride? You're roughly the same weight as me and the fact that you rode the stock suspension for so long, I'm very curious as I'm also thinking to upgrade but reading these posts, having second thoughts. Thanks.
The ride is more compliant and less harsh. That's the main thing. It doesn't have a tendency to bounce over big bumps as much, which I'm sure is due to the better valving leading to better compression and rebound damping.

That's the best way I can describe it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just upgraded the rear to Ohlins. It has transformed the whole bike, don't feel I need to do anything to the front end. Bike is more planted, smooth, very responsive. Besides the cornering confidence, highway riding is super smooth. I hight recommend if your looking to upgrade.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had the öhlin's rear shock for two years now, finally upgraded the forks with the Andreani kit. Personally, I found the stock suspension pretty jarring on the rough city roads which I commute daily. The new setup sorts it all out. I'm 170 lbs in gear. This bike is a keeper for me and deserves the upgraded suspension. I got a taste for what good suspension feels on my Hypermotard SP, I knew I had to upgrade the Scrammy. It's not for track at all, but daily commuting in the city.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nitron R1 on mine after 2 years of ownership, finding the oem shock "bearable" . Immediately after and 6 months on, absolutely worth the upgrade. Probably won't bother with the fork cartridges tho, on a bang for buck basis.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ride a 2018 Icon in central Mexico. At about the 5,000 km mark, I had an Ohlins rear shock installed.

While it has done little to increase the comfort level, it has made the moto dramatically more stable. Prior to the Ohlins, it would wobble and wander when hitting sharp bumps at over 90 kph. Now, it's stable at all speeds.

Thus, I bought safety rather than comfort. I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
482 Posts
So is the general consensus that the front cartridges are ok as is? The roads in Toronto are pretty bad and hard to read at times with what's coming...almost feel like I have to keep my eyes down at all times so I can plan ahead with avoiding pot holes etc...

Would changing the front cartridge oil alone do any good?

I'm looking at the Ohlins for the rear and possible the Andreani cartridges for the front but getting anything in Canada from the States is a pain and quite costly.

Do any of you know if these aftermarket suspension companies ever offer sales? Towards Christmas or maybe Black Friday?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts