Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i adjusted my rear chock to one position down (softer) just to see what it brings and if it can make the ride just a bit more comfortable.
I already adapted my riding style to the harder rear and lets say I was "okay" with it. But having a passenger (duo ride) i noticed that the shock did a better job than riding solo. So I just tried it and OMG does it do a wonder for me. Its a much nicer ride and the bike still does what it needs to do.

So for anybody that finds the suspension to hard put it one notch softer, it really helps!

Gr, Chris.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chris,

My initial impression of the factory shock setting was like yours. The shock was at the middle setting when I picked it up last week. Weighing 150 lbs. (68 Kg.), and riding solo, how does the weight/setting compare to your more comfortable setting?

Neil

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gamle,

Im 85kg give and take 90 with gear on. My girlfriend must be something like 55kg (she doesn't really wanna tell :rolleyes:) with gear 60. I had the impression that with 150 kg the setting as being standard where fine.

So I would say with your weight lets say 75 with gear? You can easily go down with the rear shock setting. :thumbsup:

Tomorrow Im gonna try even the softest setting just to have a feel :po_O

·
Registered
541 Posts
70 kgs here and preloading is at Zero, furthermore, I have low tyre pressure, ab 1.8 on continental tkc 80 twinduro tyres. Low pressure is not suggested on oem tyres.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yesterday I went for a ride with a passenger for the first time. The suspension did feel better. Not so harsh. I am going to set the pre-load softer and see what happens.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Chris, I'm around 70kg and did the same to mine ages ago with exactly the same result. I'm happy with my suspension now but I'm also running lower tyre pressures.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris, I'm around 70kg and did the same to mine ages ago with exactly the same result. I'm happy with my suspension now but I'm also running lower tyre pressures.
True! I forgot to mention. I also lowers the tyre pressure to 34 rear 32 front.

Thx Doc59 for reminding me

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chris,

Based on your input, I will work my way to a softer setting, one click at a time. I'm out of town and can't wait to get home to give a try! Personalizing a bike is part of the fun. :chuncky:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm 59kgs on the softest setting (purely to try and give me some precious mms in height :rolleyes: ) and it makes no difference to me, although I expect on the hardest setting it would be like riding a breeze block. Have a Nitron shock on order!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I very much agree with this!!!
Interestingly...when I had the 1st service, I was given a check list of what they did.

They checked the tires and noted they were "ok" & pressures were: front 36 lbs/rear 42 lbs...

So I got out my gauge & they read: 36/36

?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Interestingly...when I had the 1st service, I was given a check list of what they did.

They checked the tires and noted they were "ok" & pressures were: front 36 lbs/rear 42 lbs...

So I got out my gauge & they read: 36/36

?
The book states rear 42psi for pillion riding. Front 36psi for solo & pillion.
I'll be running R 32psi & F 32-36psi

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
..and the label that was on the frame states; F36/R36 psi
Yeah, there's usually a sticker somewhere on most bikes like you say, on the frame or under the seat etc. I wasn't really looking very hard don't remember seeing one on mine and thought it was strange, anyway, I looked it up in the book.

Where on the frame did you find it ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chris,

Based on your input, I will work my way to a softer setting, one click at a time. I'm out of town and can't wait to get home to give a try! Personalizing a bike is part of the fun. :chuncky:
Gamle, one click at the time sound good! And take it easy with the testing, wouldn't want anything to happen to any of the forum members while following my findings or advice. So tranquillo ;)o_O:thumbsup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I very much agree with this!!!
Very true indeed. The wear on the tyres will increase with lower pressure and the grip can feel a bit wobbly. Thats what my dealer told me.
I remember in my younger years I did a little bit of racing on the track and also there they deflated the tyres. For my bike (Suzuki TL1000R) in that time it was 2.2bar in the front on the road and 1.9bar on the track.

So in the end I don't believe it will do so much harm. I already leaned in quit a bit with my scrambler and felt noting out of the ordinary. Im staying with the 34psi rear 32 front.

·
Registered
541 Posts
On track, on road tyre, the lower pressure will be conoensated by the high temperature, that on open road tyres never reavh. This high temperature, will expand air, so finally the pressure will be almost the same. Reduci g pressure to have more tyre surface on the groubd worjs with race or race type tyre, having proper structure to use lower pressure

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chris,

Not to worry, I know and accept, and I am sure other will agree, that what we do with our bikes is our total responsibility. :3some:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts