Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Similar torque - similar hp - weight is close - ergonomics are close enough. Both handsome....
I think I prefer the air-cooled twin but it’s a more costly proposition to go with Ducati.
I’m torn. I’ve ridden the icon and 401, I have a date with a 701 in my future.
My commute includes dirt, twisties, hiway and lots of lane splitting.
i already have a single....
I’m tipping toward the svartpilen - but the radiator is an eye sore on an otherwise lovely bike...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I think you may be in a slightly biased place to ask that question ;).

I love my Icon. Servicing is exxy in Sydney I'll give you that and it's not the best at lane splitting as the bars are quite wide IMO. Can't speak to the Svartpilen but they look kinda cool. They're a dressed up KTM aren't they?

Enjoy whichever way you jump.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well is the scrambler a detuned monster? Not in my opinion.
There’s form and functional changes in there for both of them.
I employ wide bars on all my bikes so that suits me.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Not a criticism… I love the look of the Svartpilen, just curious and too lazy to google this morning :). And yup, the Scrambler is the old Monster engine wrapped up in a shit-load of branding.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn’t be unhappy with either. Every time I look at the husqvarna I see a big radiator and when I look at Ducati I think they’re over priced

·
Registered
936 Posts
To me the Svartpilen is trying to be cool and modern and the Scrambler is trying to be cool and retro. Two different approaches.
I agree about the Svartpilen radiator. Plenty of other companies including Triumph and Honda have successfully hidden or disguised radiators. Husqvarna were either just lazy or have decided that the radiator makes a modern statement about the bike. I would be happy owning either bike but for us as I said in the other thread the Scrambler suits what we do with it better.
It's personal choice there is no right or wrong here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Since your asking ........the best option is to get neither.
Keep looking.
One is ugly and the other is needy.
Very underwhelming....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m tipping toward the svartpilen - but the radiator is an eye sore on an otherwise lovely bike...
I always thought the Svartpilen was a handsome looking bike. Never gave the radiator even a thought. Now that you mentioned it, I can’t unsee it.

I do like the Scrambler because of the air-cooled simplicity and the overlap in the Ducati parts bin.

I haven’t ridden the Husky but I can tell you I was underwhelmed with the stock suspension of the Scrambler and had to look at improvements in the aftermarket. Still if I had to do it all over again, I’d make the same purchase. I’m in the market now for a modern sportbike but will keep the Scrambler in the stable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I sold my 959 and am missing the big twin. I know the superquadro is a different beast to to the testastretta but to be honest - it was like a Ferrari in a car park. There was no where to go with it other than the track - or enjoy 3 secs of acceleration and be at twice the speed limit.
I don’t know, but I bet a set of springs and gold emulators in the front of the cafe scrambler would be pretty good. 30 mins getting the rear shock dialled in.
what’s unfortunate is that they don’t make the current cafe in the black...
I’m happy to paint and mod, but the black cafe is pretty good as is - but doesn’t have the imu - which I think is a worthy addition for regular riding.
Buying the scrambler would kinda max out the budget or mean selling another bike or selling the children to science.
That’s where the vitpilen makes sense - you can buy 25+% cheaper and have someone else mow the lawn.
But the radiator sucks on the Vit - I reckon it’s there, and it’s big, because that engine design is at its engineering limit. I reckon it would more than rival the Ducati for heat sitting still.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don’t know, but I bet a set of springs and gold emulators in the front of the cafe scrambler would be pretty good. 30 mins getting the rear shock dialled in.
I'm not sure what's on the newer Cafe Racers but on the older Icons, there isn't much you can do other than preload adjustment in the rear. The stock Scrambler suspensions are harsh. Especially if you're coming from a 959. I went with Andreani fork cartridges in the front and an Ohlins shock on the rear but it isn't cheap. The Svartpilen suspenders come fully adjustable from the factory.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A quick perusal of Cycletrader shows quite a few leftover Svartpilen’s at dealers for $6,999. WP fully adjustable suspension, a quick shifter and slipper clutch are all standard along with switchable traction control and ABS. The Husky is a lot of bike for 7 grand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
they were selling new here for $10k AUD...I didn't how they could do it but who are we to complain about cheap bikes. I would have bought one for my wife but she is only allowed up to 660cc with our learner laws.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes it is. But I’m swaying toward the scrambler FT... the testastreta... and the extra weight and cost... and basic suspension...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK - i have put a deposit down.

You did a terrible job of talking me into a scrambler...

But I bought a low K 2015 icon anyway. I blame you of course for your reverse psychology

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was really toying up between a Svartpilen and a Scrambler FT when I changed bikes. I found the Svartpilen very vibey and also hated the radiator. I bought a Scrambler FT and two years on, I still love it. Was tempted to switch for the Nightshift, but cost to change made no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im sharing my parking space with a friend´s 401 and have rode it a few times. i think for city riding is very suitable and confortable, but it falls behind when giving it the goods.... it looks great in stock form, except for the radiator and the mirrors are useless.... the 701 is pretty similar in style and although i havent riden it i´ve heard is much more powerfull than the 401, maybe even a little too much as it tries to lift the front wheel with minimun effort ( or intention)... aaaand keeps the ugly radiator and useless mirrors....

i also thought the FT is prettier, but the $ difference made no sense to me, so I went for the Icon Dark and made a few mods and Im very VERY happy with it... still waiting for first maintenance fee, but i knew that before hand...

good luck with your choice!

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 12.28.01.jpeg

·
Registered
30 Posts
what’s unfortunate is that they don’t make the current cafe in the black...
I’m happy to paint and mod, but the black cafe is pretty good as is - but doesn’t have the imu - which I think is a worthy addition for regular riding.
Converted a yellow 2019 icon into this metallic grey cafe racer. OEM everything except custom side panels I made and sprayed. Bough the parts from ducati omaha did the work myself, painted for $400 and got the exact bike I wanted!

61851226236__FAD67F40-1518-46B9-B5BC-FC935D01B34B.JPG IMG_1923.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts