Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone on the forum may have switched their 18" front wheel to a 17" at some point?

Initial research says it shouldn't be much of an issue. ABS adjusts to the change fine, only issue is that the speedo will be a bit off, which can be mitigated with some more faffing.

Just wanted to check if anything else becomes a problem, besides maybe mudguard fitment...?

I've been shopping around for another scrambler and almost decided to shoot for a Cafe Racer as it has a lot of upgrades over the normal Scramblers that I'd like to do myself. I almost justified the extra cost in my head but came to my senses and decided an almost £2000 premium doesn't justify it...

One of my main issues with my last scrambler was the limited tyre options due to that 18 incher. I swapped to Metzler Z8 Interacts last time which made a HUGE difference to the bikes handling. They aren't as pretty as the MT60's but wow, they really change how the bike rides. The road feels smoother and the bike tips into a corner much more willingly.

Moving to a 17" opens up just about any tyre as an option, including much more focused road tyres. I'm looking to build my next Scrambler into something a bit racier, so I'd love to be able to fit some Diablo Rossos or M7RR's

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry no advice on this, but I'm curious are you keeping your Hyper? I bought a 2015 SP last year, but I'm very glad I kept my full throttle. Love both.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry no advice on this, but I'm curious are you keeping your Hyper? I bought a 2015 SP last year, but I'm very glad I kept my full throttle. Love both.
I am looking to sell the Hyper. I’ve not quite fallen for it in the same way. I love the idea of it and man it’s a gorgeous bike. You can tell they love it in Bologna, so many more trick bits than your usual ‘S’ model...

But I’ve done less miles on it than any other bike I’ve owned. A lot less... I just feel like wherever I park it’s gonna get nicked and it’s a certified hooligan machine, you can’t cruise, it demands childishness. It likes dry, familiar, empty roads... doesn’t really encourage you to go exploring down country lanes or find a new way home.

Perfect weekend bike. Too jewel like, I just want to baby the thing. I LOVE owning it but I don’t ride it enough. May or may not make sense...

When I have space/time/money for several bikes, it would suit much more. But so would a Brutale 800 rr !!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hoping someone on the forum may have switched their 18" front wheel to a 17" at some point?

Initial research says it shouldn't be much of an issue. ABS adjusts to the change fine, only issue is that the speedo will be a bit off, which can be mitigated with some more faffing.

Just wanted to check if anything else becomes a problem, besides maybe mudguard fitment...?

I've been shopping around for another scrambler and almost decided to shoot for a Cafe Racer as it has a lot of upgrades over the normal Scramblers that I'd like to do myself. I almost justified the extra cost in my head but came to my senses and decided an almost £2000 premium doesn't justify it...

One of my main issues with my last scrambler was the limited tyre options due to that 18 incher. I swapped to Metzler Z8 Interacts last time which made a HUGE difference to the bikes handling. They aren't as pretty as the MT60's but wow, they really change how the bike rides. The road feels smoother and the bike tips into a corner much more willingly.

Moving to a 17" opens up just about any tyre as an option, including much more focused road tyres. I'm looking to build my next Scrambler into something a bit racier, so I'd love to be able to fit some Diablo Rossos or M7RR's
Watching with interest...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am looking to sell the Hyper. I’ve not quite fallen for it in the same way. I love the idea of it and man it’s a gorgeous bike. You can tell they love it in Bologna, so many more trick bits than your usual ‘S’ model...

But I’ve done less miles on it than any other bike I’ve owned. A lot less... I just feel like wherever I park it’s gonna get nicked and it’s a certified hooligan machine, you can’t cruise, it demands childishness. It likes dry, familiar, empty roads... doesn’t really encourage you to go exploring down country lanes or find a new way home.

Perfect weekend bike. Too jewel like, I just want to baby the thing. I LOVE owning it but I don’t ride it enough. May or may not make sense...

When I have space/time/money for several bikes, it would suit much more. But so would a Brutale 800 rr !!
I totally understand. It's a surprising a decent commuter though, comfortable and sitting so high gives great visibility. I did quite a few kms on it last year, but I reserve it for dryer, warmer days, like you said. It's those Diablo Supercorso SP tires I think... I've had a few squirrelly moments on not so ideal road conditions.

It doesn't replace the Scrambler for me though. Even while both bikes have the race termis, the Scrambler just sounds meaner and has so much character. I love it. I've toyed with the idea of a cafe racer, but can't justify 3 bikes lol. As a compromise, I switched to Pirelli Angel GTs. So far, so good.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Is the difference in rake between the icon and the cafe due only to a smaller wheel?

It is not hard to find the answer. All you have to do is go to the Scrambler website and look at the specs.

Icon
Wheelbase 1445 mm
Rack 24 degrees
Trail 112mm

Cafe Racer
Wheelbase 1436 mm
Rack 21.8 degrees
Trail 93.9mm

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Doesn’t answer the op’s question.

he wants to know if that difference is caused by the front wheel only (or did Ducati change the fork yokes too).

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rear shock on the cafe racer is also longer.

the front fork legs are also a b it longer to make them stiffer but the travel reduced I think. I believe the overall fork length is actually the same.

So smaller front wheel and raised rear end, due to the shock.
The seat and handlebars of the Cafe Racer also place the rider in a different position too.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The slider or thicker top part of the fork is much stiffer than the stanchion, so my understanding is that the longer the slider, the stiffer your forks will be.

The slider is longer but the stanchion is shorter on the Cafe Racer.

you might sacrifice some travel but I assume this is why more off-road biased bikes have much longer stanchions and fork travel as that’s more important than outright front end stiffness. On road, you don’t need as much travel, so you can have longer sliders and a stronger, stiffer fork.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is my Icon with the front wheel from a Cafe Racer. Just completed install and so far so good. Everything was functioning on my ride home. I'll report back once I have the chance for a spirited ride. So glad to have options for nice street tires now. Went with Rosso III.
I think I'll lower the fender. Gap with smaller wheel might be a bit much...we'll see.
20191101_172308.jpg

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is my Icon with the front wheel from a Cafe Racer. Just completed install and so far so good. Everything was functioning on my ride home. I'll report back once I have the chance for a spirited ride. So glad to have options for nice street tires now. Went with Rosso III.
I think I'll lower the fender. Gap with smaller wheel might be a bit much...we'll see.
View attachment 41769
Brilliant! someone who's gone and done it. What was needed for the swap?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Josh, just the wheel and tire really. I used the brake rotor, speed sensor ring, and bearings from the original 18". The standard Icon axle and wheel spacer was also used. Bolts right up. Although the caliper is a pain in the ass now because it is such a tight fit getting it on and off with the smaller 17" wheel.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Josh, just the wheel and tire really. I used the brake rotor, speed sensor ring, and bearings from the original 18". The standard Icon axle and wheel spacer was also used. Bolts right up. Although the caliper is a pain in the ass now because it is such a tight fit getting it on and off with the smaller 17" wheel.
Thanks so much for the info. Exactly what I'd been waiting to hear!

Been on the lookout for a reasonably priced 17" wheel for a while now. Buying a 17" from Ducati costs a fortune! May as well just buy a custom set of light weight wheels it's that much...

Hopefully a CR get's scrapped at some point and goes on eBay. The front wheel and the brake master cylinder being 2 of the biggest improvements the CR gets in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
View attachment 41769
Front fender looks cool to me mate

·
Registered
14 Posts
First "real" ride went well. All systems are still working without issue. Bike handles good. I still need a little more time to get fully comfortable but glad I went with the swap.

I must say the stock MT60s never really had a grip issue. They are so soft. However I only use this bike for the street so I wanted options on good sport bike type tires. Longer life was another benefit depending on what I went with so the downsize was more suitable for my use.

They only downside so far is that the front is a little less stable. Not terrible, I only noticed if I hit a significant imperfection in the pavement. A bump/dip/groove/pothole unsettles the front easier. I can say with the smaller wheel the steering is a little more nervous but on smooth surfaces there is no issue.

Otherwise it's great. It rides smoother, less buzzy in the handlebars. Quicker steering, drops in and transitions quicker. I was hoping/expecting the brakes to work better too. Unfortunately even with my previously upgraded master cylinder they still need help. Finally the look, well that is subjective but I like it. :icon_thumbright:

Front fender looks cool to me mate
Thanks Deano968. Now I’m torn. From the front, the gap is even more pronounced which looks off. But I do agree the appearance of a “raised fender” does look kind of at home being a Scrambler.

Still pending: I will look into the accuracy of the speedo. I know both front and rear speed sensors go directly to the ABS but I am not sure which drives the display. My plan is to raise each wheel and spin it to see if I can get the speedo to register. Maybe someone here already has? I will also pace a couple buddies to see what the discrepancies are.

Thanks for checking out my swap.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts