Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a tail tidy install video anywhere for the 1100?

I looked and couldn’t find one, so thought I would ask.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think there's a video out there. Which tail tidy did you purchase?

On my 2018 1100, I did the R&G tail tidy first, and then upgraded to the Evotech, in addition to swapping out the turn signals, etc. so as a result, I had the rear section apart several times. The first time was a real challenge, but after that it was pretty simple just somewhat time consuming. Even if you're not going with the Evotech, you can go to their website and download the installation instructions and take a look at how everything comes apart. I found it pretty helpful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I don't think there's a video out there. Which tail tidy did you purchase?

On my 2018 1100, I did the R&G tail tidy first, and then upgraded to the Evotech, in addition to swapping out the turn signals, etc. so as a result, I had the rear section apart several times. The first time was a real challenge, but after that it was pretty simple just somewhat time consuming. Even if you're not going with the Evotech, you can go to their website and download the installation instructions and take a look at how everything comes apart. I found it pretty helpful.
Thanks for the advice.

I was going to go with the Evotech actually based upon your previous posts about it having better fitment vs R&G, but it’s out of stock so I am waiting for it to get back in stock. If it ends up taking a long time, I’ll just go with the knockoff version of the R&G that I can find on eBay I guess.

I saw the PDF directions online - and there are a lot of steps, so figured a video would have been easier :)

I guess it’s just going to require patience, and maybe I’ll make a video myself to help someone else.

I was going to swap out the turn signals and tail light as well (substituting the motodynamics tail light), so waiting to do it all at once.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ha! Yes, definitely recommend doing them (signals and tail tidy) at the same time. There are a lot of steps but it's not too bad; the exhausts come off (which are pretty easy) and there are two sets of bolts under the bike that would otherwise be blocked by the exhaust. The rest goes pretty fast.

The Evotech is definitely worth the wait, the quality is night and day vs the R&G. Had I kept the bike I might have tried the NRC one at some point. The look of the NRC one grew on me after awhile. But you can't go wrong with the Evotech. I feel your pain on the backorder, I put the Evotech one on my KTM too, and modified it, messed it up and had to order another one....8 weeks backordered. OUCH. I also understand wanting to do something in the meantime; the stock plate holder assembly is just unsightly on the Scrambler 1100.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just to consider: At least over here in Europe, there are two companies Evotech which offer a tail tidy for the 1100.

I guess you are talking about the Evotech performance from UK. They are out of stock since last summer. I tried to get it but was not successful.

so I found Evotech from Italy: Evotech s.r.l. | Masters of Motorcycles | Racing Components and I opted for this version as it was available on stock.
It is good quality and looks good. The angle of the license plate is adjustable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a tail tidy install video anywhere for the 1100?

I looked and couldn’t find one, so thought I would ask.
Nobody has that much battery life on their phone to record the install. Ha!

Kidding aside, it's a long process to install the Evotech Performance (UK company) tail. It's not terribly difficult, it's just long as there are a lot of steps (as you've seen from the PDF). The end result is really nice. Just carve out say four hours so you are not in a rush and have your laptop with you and follow the PDF along page by page.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nobody has that much battery life on their phone to record the install. Ha!

Kidding aside, it's a long process to install the Evotech Performance (UK company) tail. It's not terribly difficult, it's just long as there are a lot of steps (as you've seen from the PDF). The end result is really nice. Just carve out say four hours so you are not in a rush and have your laptop with you and follow the PDF along page by page.
Thanks for advice. When I saw the instructions I was surprised there were so many steps involved for just a tail tidy.

My past experience on these were straightforward - remove a few bolts and screw the new one back on.

The Evotech Tail Tidy is out of stock still, and if it’s much longer, I’ll just see if I can fabricate something myself.

Ideally I would like to place the plate inside the wheel well behind the tire, kind of like New Rage Cycles has it, I am just not sure how difficult it would be to connect a license plate light in that spot as well. (If anyone figured this out already, please let me know!)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for advice. When I saw the instructions I was surprised there were so many steps involved for just a tail tidy.

My past experience on these were straightforward - remove a few bolts and screw the new one back on.

The Evotech Tail Tidy is out of stock still, and if it’s much longer, I’ll just see if I can fabricate something myself.

Ideally I would like to place the plate inside the wheel well behind the tire, kind of like New Rage Cycles has it, I am just not sure how difficult it would be to connect a license plate light in that spot as well. (If anyone figured this out already, please let me know!)
Just curious, is the New Rage Cycles one in stock? I have a feeling the Evotech ones will be on back order for awhile, I had to buy a second Evotech for my Superduke because I mangled the first one. It too is backordered; they said 6-8 weeks, but I think that's probably being optimistic. Lots of supply chain issues with COVID and lockdowns. All of my carbon fiber is also backordered through KTM, it too is coming from Europe.

Agree on the steps. The Scrambler 1100 was by far the most involved tail tidy install I ever did. Here's a pic of the stock plate holder side by side with the R&G I had initially; the stock one is the monstrosity on the left. It's also pretty heavy, all metal.

TailTidy2.jpeg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious, is the New Rage Cycles one in stock? I have a feeling the Evotech ones will be on back order for awhile, I had to buy a second Evotech for my Superduke because I mangled the first one. It too is backordered; they said 6-8 weeks, but I think that's probably being optimistic. Lots of supply chain issues with COVID and lockdowns. All of my carbon fiber is also backordered through KTM, it too is coming from Europe.

Agree on the steps. The Scrambler 1100 was by far the most involved tail tidy install I ever did. Here's a pic of the stock plate holder side by side with the R&G I had initially; the stock one is the monstrosity on the left. It's also pretty heavy, all metal.

View attachment 46436
I think the New Rage is in stock, however it removes that little piece of rear fender that I would like to keep.

I emailed them asking if I can just by the under the seat, behind-the-wheel license plate relocation parts, and they said no, unfortunately. That would have been my favorite solution, and probably the easiest if they would just sell the parts, and if the light for the license wasn’t difficult to connect to the electrical system. I don’t know why they wouldn’t make that available for folks like myself, seems like they are leaving money on the table.

That certainly is a monstrosity of an OEM plate holder, I just don’t get why someone would design something that way, knowing 90% of customers would replace it anyway.

You mentioned the R&G was a difficult install, was it difficult because of the removal of the OEM, or difficult due to the actual construction of the R&G? I ask that because it looks like just 4 bolts or so are needed to connect it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure if it will be at all helpful, but I just posted one this morning for my Desert Sled.

First of all, that was great production quality on that video.

And that is exactly what I want to do. Not sure how different that is to do on the Desert Sled vs 1100, but the concept is certainly the same.

Were you able to just buy the license plate bracket/light from NRC, and not just the whole fender eliminator package?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad it could help. If you want to buy just the plate bracket, you can contact NRC and they should be able to accommodate you as they did for me. Otherwise, Shift Tech, a New Rage Cycles retailer, already sells them that way on their website. Here's the link: ST1767-2 DUCATI SCRAMBLER DESSERT SLED TUCKED LICENSE PLATE RELOCATER KIT + LED TAG LIGHT - Shift-Tech Carbon

I confirmed with the owner of shift tech that he is selling them as a standalone as per the link above.

First of all, that was great production quality on that video.

And that is exactly what I want to do. Not sure how different that is to do on the Desert Sled vs 1100, but the concept is certainly the same.

Were you able to just buy the license plate bracket/light from NRC, and not just the whole fender eliminator package?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think the New Rage is in stock, however it removes that little piece of rear fender that I would like to keep.

I emailed them asking if I can just by the under the seat, behind-the-wheel license plate relocation parts, and they said no, unfortunately. That would have been my favorite solution, and probably the easiest if they would just sell the parts, and if the light for the license wasn’t difficult to connect to the electrical system. I don’t know why they wouldn’t make that available for folks like myself, seems like they are leaving money on the table.

That certainly is a monstrosity of an OEM plate holder, I just don’t get why someone would design something that way, knowing 90% of customers would replace it anyway.

You mentioned the R&G was a difficult install, was it difficult because of the removal of the OEM, or difficult due to the actual construction of the R&G? I ask that because it looks like just 4 bolts or so are needed to connect it.
The removal of the OEM was definitely the most time consuming part of the work. I think that took me (moving slow) probably 2 hrs. Once that was out, things went a lot faster with the R&G install, until I stripped a bolt and had to drill it out. That took some time, and of course I had to go get some hardware to complete the install. Had I not hit that snag I probably could've knocked out the R&G install in less than 30 mins. When I swapped the R&G out for the Evotech, I was able to knock that out in less than an hour. The R&G and the Evotech has some similar design aspects, but the Evotech is of much higher quality, and you incorporate the OEM LED tag lamp into the tail tidy, whereas the R&G had a new indandescent bulb, which wasn't as bright. If I had access to a welder I could probably make a decent tail tidy from the OEM one - lord knows I'd have enough material!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts