Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
41 - 60 of 148 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
The 'prototype' is printed in plastic. Which is fairly rough.
Shapeway is quoting $30/pair in plastic, $190/pair in stainless steel/bronze steel/nickel steel/black steel, and $200 in gold steel. Woweee.. maybe 3D printing isn't the best idea. Anyone know how to cast steel? I can print it in castable wax :D
why dont you cnc mill the parts? Ask everyone who wants one and let them mill in one go. I would use Aluminium though, it's cheaper, lighter, doesnt rust and is cheaper for milling because it's softer. I could have told you that 3D printing in metal (laser sintering or casting in a special mold) will be really expensive.

If you have a steel sidecover you can use two strong magnets to hold it on the side. Just make a thin layer of rubber under the badge to not scratch anything and two holes on the back of the badge for the magnets.
With this solution you could place it over the screw and take it off/on without changing any adhessive.

· Registered
38 Posts
3D printing of things is pretty neat stuff and it's a field that's growing by leaps and bounds. Fasterwoman just got here badges from me. Mine are investment cast, one wax = one casting. They shoot the waxes in a silicone mold. The mold is made from the original engine case cover. There is a small percentage of shrinking with investment castings. The waxes are then affixed to a wax tree. That all is put into a casting flask and investment/plaster of paris is poured in. Then the wax is steamed out and the molten metal is poured into the void where the waxs was melted out. To cast steel or aluminium the usual production method is die casting. Getting a die made is a very expensive deal, many thousands. That is why for small runs and specialty casting investment casting is still used a lot. A pair of my investment cast badges is $80 US + $5 shipping. Tom Rolland

· Registered
64 Posts
Shapway do it similar, they just print the wax prototype for the cast with a 3D printer. There are 3D printer filiaments on the market that are designed for this purpose. The good thing is, that you can simply add the 3-4% shrinkage in the software and print it larger or change other things you don't like.
You should try it out ;-)

Nevertheless is CNC milling in my opinion the easiest and fastest way to get precise badges in low quantities.

· Registered
131 Posts
Not sure if this was answered here before, but what is the FONT that ducati uses for their Scrambler emblem, or the one in the upper left corner of this page where it says Scrambler Forum.

· Registered
139 Posts
I have a set of Tom Rolland's badges and they are really quality pieces. He was excellent to deal with and shipped out so fast I was socked when they arrived as I thought it would take a lot longer. Careful removing the originals as the brushed aluminum is easy to scuff.

41 - 60 of 148 Posts