Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Tank Badge Options

108K views 147 replies 58 participants last post by  Japponiglio 
#1 ·
Vehicle Product Car Automotive exterior Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire
Vehicle Transport Automotive exterior Car Bumper
I have put some third party tank badges on my tank panels. it took me quite a lot of searching before I came across the ones that suited me.

As I searched it became apparent that people have put lots of different options on their tank panels so thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we can see photos of what people have done. Would make searching a whole lot easier.

Anyway, here is a photo of my tank badge. not entirely sure where it is from, but I believe it may be from an old Ducati radio. Anybody shed any light?

See less See more
#2 ·
Good idea to start a tank badge thread. I like the design. Maybe finish it off with the ducati wing badge to cover up the screw. And I haven't the slightest clue how to remove the factory logo on my FT. Looks like it's a sticker and would likely not come off easy. But not a high priority for me right now. Saving money for go fast parts.

#5 ·
I posted it in the other forum about these. I'm currently in process of 3D printing a set of the vintage scrambler replicas that fits the tank curve of the current scrambler. As I know, the curves are slightly different. If you try to use the original vintage badge, there will be a slight gap. I modeled these in a 3D software, it's currently being printed in plastic for prototyping. After I make sure it fit, I will print these in stainless steel.

#15 · (Edited)
View attachment 2998 View attachment 2997 View attachment 2996 I have put some third party tank badges on my tank panels. it took me quite a lot of searching before I came across the ones that suited me.

As I searched it became apparent that people have put lots of different options on their tank panels so thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we can see photos of what people have done. Would make searching a whole lot easier.

Anyway, here is a photo of my tank badge. not entirely sure where it is from, but I believe it may be from an old Ducati radio. Anybody shed any light?
This badge is for sale on eBay. Seller says they think it's off a 1950s Ducati outboard motor. Looks nice on your bike! What adhesive did you use? Did you have to remove the locating pins on the back of the badge?

#20 ·
Hello fast woman (interesting nick name!)

Yes I had found that link but can't find any pictures. the font looks very Art Deco hence why I thought it was off a radio. Ducati certainly made radios - I believe that's why their factory got bombed in the WW2.

As for adhesive I used some 1mm doubled sided sticky foam by 3 M. Got the strongest one I could find.

I removed the pins on the back with a Drexel mutation tool, then I bent the badge by hand to match the curve in the panel. then I stuck on the foam and cut around the badge out line (painful!). Then I ran a burning match of the edge of the foam and stuck it on.

Seems to be fixed very well. no sign of any problem so far.

#21 ·
While they could have used those badges on Ducati radio's, they didn't. I have seen a lot of the radio's that they made, and they made some really neat looking radio's. They bring a lot of money from radio collectors.
Those badges are from a Ducati Brio. A two stroke single scooter that came in various sized motors. They were made to compete against the Vespa's and other Italian scooters in the '60's. I have a a set of them. Well I have one of the large and a pair of the small one's used on them.
As to them being off an outboard motor, I'd have to say maybe on that. I'd have to do some looking at pictures of the outboards they made back then. Early models may have had them. I know the later one's had decals. Tom Rolland

#24 ·
While they could have used those badges on Ducati radio's, they didn't. I have seen a lot of the radio's that they made, and they made some really neat looking radio's. They bring a lot of money from radio collectors.
Those badges are from a Ducati Brio. A two stroke single scooter that came in various sized motors. They were made to compete against the Vespa's and other Italian scooters in the '60's. I have a a set of them. Well I have one of the large and a pair of the small one's used on them.
As to them being off an outboard motor, I'd have to say maybe on that. I'd have to do some looking at pictures of the outboards they made back then. Early models may have had them. I know the later one's had decals. Tom Rolland
Well I'll be damned. I did a little looking at Ducati outboard motors and it turns out that they did indeed use that badge on their 100 cc version. The site wouldn't let me copy the address, protected photo's. Google Ducati outboard motor's and the upper RH picture of the green outboard is the one with that badge. Tom Rolland

#22 ·
They look very nice Michael. Just so folks know, I am Tom Rolland and I made the Sterling Silver badges for Michael. I usually make them as belt buckles, but they are each hand made investment castings that I can do a lot with. Take a look at my web page, here's the address Ducati Belt Buckles by Tom Rolland I do in them in both gold brass and solid Sterling Silver (2.5 ounces ea.) In gold brass they are $40 each and in Sterling they are $125 each. I have a pair of rough Sterling Silver castings on hand and I am going to take 10 waxes in to be cast in gold brass today because I have already got an order for another set in gold brass last night and I have run out of them.
I have been making the belt buckles for 17 years now, I have over 3,600 of them in 30 countries. It's been a good hobby for me and they have helped to for my three Ducati 750 GT's that I have, and my 851 too I guess:) Ducati 750 GT's are my real passion, that's why I have three of them. There are lots of pictures of my trips on my web page too. The Ducati factory in '98 for the first WDW, Australia, England Oz/NZ. Also pictures of the restorations I have done to some 750 GT's. Tom Rolland "Nothing flies like a Duck"

#25 ·
Thanks, as I said, 750 GT's are my passion. For the "new" owners I'll point out that the '72-74 ('78) Roundcase 750 GT's, Sport's and SuperSports were the first V twin that Ducati ever made. Before that they only made singles. Total production over the three years across all models was about 7,800. Some folks may be asking why the ('78)? The Roundcase 750 was so popular in Australia that the importer there got the factory to build about 200 GT's and Sports in '78 from spares. And believe me they still love them there.
Anyway I got my first 750 GT as a non runner over 25 years ago. It had bad valve guides, a lot of them did. Replaced them and restored the bike and it's been my go to bike ever since. It's a red '74 750 GT. At this point I have restored 8 750 GT's over the years. Tom Rolland

#35 ·
Hey guys and gals! Some update. I got the prototype back in black plastic and painted the edges silver since I had some rub and buff lying around. The plastic print is pretty rough but good enough for prototype. Also note to self, don't drink and then try to paint.

Blue Electric blue Font Material property Label

Took them to the garage today to see how the curves matches up. I think it could use another mm or so towards the tips of the wing.

Bicycle wheel Bicycle part Bicycle tire Tire Spoke
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

Excuse the ghetto electric tape. My garage mate seem to have misplaced my masking tape and electric tape don't like rough plastic.
So here's where it's at now. I think I can make that little adjustments and get them done in steel for reals.

#39 ·
The 'prototype' is printed in plastic. Which is fairly rough.
Shapeway is quoting $30/pair in plastic, $190/pair in stainless steel/bronze steel/nickel steel/black steel, and $200 in gold steel. Woweee.. maybe 3D printing isn't the best idea. Anyone know how to cast steel? I can print it in castable wax :D

#43 ·
3D printing of things is pretty neat stuff and it's a field that's growing by leaps and bounds. Fasterwoman just got here badges from me. Mine are investment cast, one wax = one casting. They shoot the waxes in a silicone mold. The mold is made from the original engine case cover. There is a small percentage of shrinking with investment castings. The waxes are then affixed to a wax tree. That all is put into a casting flask and investment/plaster of paris is poured in. Then the wax is steamed out and the molten metal is poured into the void where the waxs was melted out. To cast steel or aluminium the usual production method is die casting. Getting a die made is a very expensive deal, many thousands. That is why for small runs and specialty casting investment casting is still used a lot. A pair of my investment cast badges is $80 US + $5 shipping. Tom Rolland

#44 · (Edited)
Shapway do it similar, they just print the wax prototype for the cast with a 3D printer. There are 3D printer filiaments on the market that are designed for this purpose. The good thing is, that you can simply add the 3-4% shrinkage in the software and print it larger or change other things you don't like.
You should try it out ;-)

Nevertheless is CNC milling in my opinion the easiest and fastest way to get precise badges in low quantities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.