Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last two times I filled with petrol/gas the cap had to be pulled to open. It was 'sucking' the tank.
This time I wasn't on 'reserve'.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Breather pipes trapped when you or ducati replaced your tank after the 7500 mile service.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
^^ with Armo, breather pipe trapped.

Fix it asap, because the vacuum in the fuel tank can literally distort the tank. You're not the first that had the underside of the tank collapse...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Armo.
Is this a cause for concern and is it just a matter of loosening a bolt or two?
Would appreciate a bit if a run through (sorry).

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will call them tomorrow. Since the 7,500 mile service I may have only filled up twice. Will check the mileage.
Problem is the weather is shite at the moment. Part of a funeral cortege today and couldn't get right to the bloke's house (black ice).
Thanks to you both.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Will call them tomorrow. Since the 7,500 mile service I may have only filled up twice. Will check the mileage.
Problem is the weather is shite at the moment. Part of a funeral cortege today and couldn't get right to the bloke's house (black ice).
Thanks to you both.
Phil, is it worth lifting the tank a little and having a poke around? If you undo the bolt by the seat, the tank lifts up by about 3 inches and you can at least look with a torch.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Originally I lifted the tank and had a look, couldn't see anything so I thought they were blocked, i used my compressed air to clear them but because they were trapped I blew them clean off! Also I had read a couple of people on here over the years lifting the tank and disturbing the fuel connectors, so be careful.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally I lifted the tank and had a look, couldn't see anything so I thought they were blocked, i used my compressed air to clear them but because they were trapped I blew them clean off! Also I had read a couple of people on here over the years lifting the tank and disturbing the fuel connectors, so be careful.
Yeah, obviously take care, I wouldn't advocate using compressed air :grin:... If you're at all concerned about doing it, take it in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree as even Ducati marked the paint on my steering stem and frame when they took the tank off, they re-sprayed the section of frame FOC.
I didn't remove my tank, I just lifted it to reroute wiring for the front indicators. I only lifted a couple of inches and checked for interference at the front where the tolerances are fine, there was none although the gap was small. I would definitely take the precaution though, even just a rag.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right.
Blew into the bottom of both pipes, one OK but one no go.
Lifted tank enough to inspect pipes and pulled end off the offending one. Blew through pipe clear.
Phoned Ducati. They said it must be the release valve sticking in the cap. Told me not to ride the bike and get it recovered to them under the warranty. They might have to replace the cap (new keys etc) which would mean ordering parts
They also said one breather pipe is for excess fuel (hence the hole in the recess for the cap). The other is to stop the tank pressuring and it's this one that isn't working.
Does that sound right chaps and is there anything else that I can check first.
NB It is the inside pipe that isn't breathing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Right.
Blew into the bottom of both pipes, one OK but one no go.
Lifted tank enough to inspect pipes and pulled end off the offending one. Blew through pipe clear.
Phoned Ducati. They said it must be the release valve sticking in the cap. Told me not to ride the bike and get it recovered to them under the warranty. They might have to replace the cap (new keys etc) which would mean ordering parts
They also said one breather pipe is for excess fuel (hence the hole in the recess for the cap). The other is to stop the tank pressuring and it's this one that isn't working.
Does that sound right chaps and is there anything else that I can check first.
NB It is the inside pipe that isn't breathing.
Sorry to hear all that Phil, how frustrating. It does sound logical although I haven't heard of anyone else with a tank cap issue...
I still suspect a squashed pipe... keep us updated though.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to hear all that Phil, how frustrating. It does sound logical although I haven't heard of anyone else with a tank cap issue...
I still suspect a squashed pipe... keep us updated though.
You know what meagain, you were right.
The metal pipes underneath the tank point forwards but the rubber hoses were coming at them from the rear (now now Armo) and kinking, though I could still blow through the outside one.
I kept returning to that in my mind and hoping it must be something simple. Together with your reply I was prompted to have another look and re-route both hoses (one at a time) at the tank end to a forward position.
Hey presto can now blow through both, though the inside one is more difficult. Assuming this is to do the pressure relief valve, whereas the outside one is just an overflow?
I must learn to trust myself more and the experts at the garage a little less. I think the hoses were always routed wrong and over time the kink in one has closed completely.
This may also explain why my bike cuts out sometimes on a downshift, which can be a bit disconcerting when approaching a fast bend.
Thanks to all for help with this.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You know what meagain, you were right.
The metal pipes underneath the tank point forwards but the rubber hoses were coming at them from the rear (now now Armo) and kinking, though I could still blow through the outside one.
I kept returning to that in my mind and hoping it must be something simple. Together with your reply I was prompted to have another look and re-route both hoses (one at a time) at the tank end to a forward position.
Hey presto can now blow through both, though the inside one is more difficult. Assuming this is to do the pressure relief valve, whereas the outside one is just an overflow?
I must learn to trust myself more and the experts at the garage a little less. I think the hoses were always routed wrong and over time the kink in one has closed completely.
This may also explain why my bike cuts out sometimes on a downshift, which can be a bit disconcerting when approaching a fast bend.
Thanks to all for help with this.

Great result if that was indeed the problem... Always trust yourself - use the force Phil (can't find Obi Wan emoji :angry:)...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Blew into the bottom of both pipes
Bad idea! Better blow in the top of the pipes, in the tank cap! See attached picture :)

Had negative tank pressure issues a few times, once because of a buildup of soot/dust in one of the pipes. Others due to pinched pipes after removal of the fuel tank by/for service...

Valentin

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts