Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only took me about 2 hours.........the other side yet to do!!...lol.
Biggest ball ache is getting the decals off,then removing the sticky goo left on the tank and back of decals.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Only took me about 2 hours.........the other side yet to do!!...lol.
Biggest ball ache is getting the decals off,then removing the sticky goo left on the tank and back of decals.
Oh yes. I made a few tiny scratches so touched up with black spray. Then gloss lacquered . Did you salvage your decals ok.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes,my decals were fine.Just need a lot of patience.
I warmed them with a hairdryer and used fine fishing line to start removal using a sawing action initially,then pulled through until I could lift the decal enough to use a scalpel.No damage was done.
And I used a solvent which is used to clean worktop jointing compound to remove the glue residue on the tank and back of decal.
Glued them back on with evostick instant impact adhesive(again used on worktop end strips).
Another tip.Put a cloth under the edge of the panel nearest the seat,it saves scratching the tank when pulling the panel forward!! (it's ok,the panel covers it!)
The paint is very thin indeed!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got my tank panels wrapped and the guy charged me $60. But it doesnt seem "wrapped". The edge is not smooth i can see where he made small cuts all around it. I thought the idea was to heat the material and stretch it or "wrap" it. What method did you use because i feel i could have done it better myself if i had a heat gun. any tips will be appreciated as i might have to order some more wrap and redo what i paid good money for.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got my tank panels wrapped and the guy charged me $60. But it doesnt seem "wrapped". The edge is not smooth i can see where he made small cuts all around it. I thought the idea was to heat the material and stretch it or "wrap" it. What method did you use because i feel i could have done it better myself if i had a heat gun. any tips will be appreciated as i might have to order some more wrap and redo what i paid good money for.
Yes,you are right about the heating and stretching.
There should be no visible cuts etc.
Take them back for him to do again or get a refund and
them yourself.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The others are right, the material should wrap around all of the edges. I wrapped mine in matte black two days ago and have zero seams, cuts, or wrinkles visible. It took me about 1 hour per side to apply the wrap perfectly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.