Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only took me about 2 hours.........the other side yet to do!!...lol.
Biggest ball ache is getting the decals off,then removing the sticky goo left on the tank and back of decals.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes,my decals were fine.Just need a lot of patience.
I warmed them with a hairdryer and used fine fishing line to start removal using a sawing action initially,then pulled through until I could lift the decal enough to use a scalpel.No damage was done.
And I used a solvent which is used to clean worktop jointing compound to remove the glue residue on the tank and back of decal.
Glued them back on with evostick instant impact adhesive(again used on worktop end strips).
Another tip.Put a cloth under the edge of the panel nearest the seat,it saves scratching the tank when pulling the panel forward!! (it's ok,the panel covers it!)
The paint is very thin indeed!

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Nice job Dave, had to laugh when you said only took two hours :) and followed up by, only have the other side to do now, :rolleyes:
Does look good though, do they do it in brushed silver ?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers.
I would guess brushed silver would be available,in fact pretty much any thing you can imagine.Off eBay.....of course :rolleyes:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looks great mate. I did mine in brushed titanium after trying both chrome and black brushed aluminium - also played with the FT logos but ended up back with titanium and icon logos as per last picture
- no photos of chrome as it wasn't a good finish and I took it out straight away.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm,titanium,now there's an idea.
When I get bored with black I think I will give that a try.Should work well with the brown seat.
Nice work BTW! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
What with brushed aluminium, did anyone try that? Original they look more like plastic to me :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got my tank panels wrapped and the guy charged me $60. But it doesnt seem "wrapped". The edge is not smooth i can see where he made small cuts all around it. I thought the idea was to heat the material and stretch it or "wrap" it. What method did you use because i feel i could have done it better myself if i had a heat gun. any tips will be appreciated as i might have to order some more wrap and redo what i paid good money for.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got my tank panels wrapped and the guy charged me $60. But it doesnt seem "wrapped". The edge is not smooth i can see where he made small cuts all around it. I thought the idea was to heat the material and stretch it or "wrap" it. What method did you use because i feel i could have done it better myself if i had a heat gun. any tips will be appreciated as i might have to order some more wrap and redo what i paid good money for.
Yes,you are right about the heating and stretching.
There should be no visible cuts etc.
Take them back for him to do again or get a refund and
them yourself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My bloke said you need wrap that has a rough finish on the glue side so it can bend easily i bought some cheap stuff which is only good for flat surfaces and used his more expensive wrap for the tank

·
Registered
365 Posts
The others are right, the material should wrap around all of the edges. I wrapped mine in matte black two days ago and have zero seams, cuts, or wrinkles visible. It took me about 1 hour per side to apply the wrap perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did this to mine. Removed decals, standard brushed Aluminium finish then headlight "fly-eye" wrap followed by retro Ducati sticker and then lacquer. Not perfect but I am happy with the result. I have also used the wrap other places, headlight, rear llght, indicators, petrol cap etc
20180723_185313.jpg
View attachment 37639

1 - 19 of 19 Posts