Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out in the garage admiring my Icon as you do, I have noticed that the brushed aluminium tank panels look like there are marks on them already, when I collected the bike yesterday the dealer did mention about one panel with marks on, so he ordered a new one under warranty. I'm going to keep an eye on them for a while but suspect that they might be better with a coat of paint and some matt lacquer on them.
tank.jpg

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You mean like scratches? That's unfortunate - I plan to change the colour of mine to black anyway, must be cheaper to do it yourself rather than buy replacements!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have been out in the garage admiring my Icon as you do, I have noticed that the brushed aluminium tank panels look like there are marks on them already, when I collected the bike yesterday the dealer did mention about one panel with marks on, so he ordered a new one under warranty. I'm going to keep an eye on them for a while but suspect that they might be better with a coat of paint and some matt lacquer on them. View attachment 505
Looks like where your knees have been rubbing, maybe a clear protective wrap would help after it's sorted.
I've seen this on a few bikes with painted surfaces where the shine comes off.
Not everybody's cup of tea but for the look I want with the green one, something like these might work. Like Triumph and some others use standard.

upload_2015-3-22_10-41-56.jpeg

·
Registered
834 Posts
Wear a nice soft onesie. Joking aside there's not much you can do other than applying a clear vinyl ( helicopter blade stuff is best ) or some of the stomp pads or dots to raise the profile from your knee's legs. I tend to wear denim bike jeans on this bike so hoping wont do so much scuffing/polishing but I have got the black anodised ones to come and they will undoubtedly notice more I reckon. So that's the full throttle ones to keep an eye on.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Another idea would be to get them sprayed with Matte Clear Lacquer , wouldn't cost much, you could even do it yourself when the weather warms up :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Another idea would be to get them sprayed with Matte Clear Lacquer , wouldn't cost much, you could even do it yourself when the weather warms up :)
The only problem again would be that your knees would once again wear through the lacquer and then start to polish alloy. My Yamaha TT500 is a prime example being that they painted the top front to back then added a pinstripe to the alloy sides and then buffed up the alloy before lacquering over it all and the adding decals. Mine has polished patches but call it patina. I think I will just live with it. Even powdercoat wears or loses its shine with feet and limbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are welding marks. On the other side of the panel a rubber part has been welded and these are heat marks. They are a manufacturing mark that appear on most aluminium panels

·
Registered
114 Posts
my bike has 50 miles on it and I have the burnish marks as well.

I was looking into different color plates until I realized they are $200. I think I may try a Matt black vinyl wrap for them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts