Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I’ve just joined the forum and I’m expecting to take delivery of a new icon dark in 3-4 weeks.

I want to change the standard tank panels, and I’m struggling to find a website that has a good choice of different designs.

Can any of you guys recommend a site you’ve come across on your travels please?

Many thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi.

I’ve just joined the forum and I’m expecting to take delivery of a new icon dark in 3-4 weeks.

I want to change the standard tank panels, and I’m struggling to find a website that has a good choice of different designs.

Can any of you guys recommend a site you’ve come across on your travels please?

Many thanks

Hey! I am an industrial designer and would be happy to help make something custom if you'd like, from vinyls to 3D printed badges! I have been considering revamping some graphics on my Desert Sled. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Merlin

Having it wrapped is a great idea, I’d not thought of that.

Does it effect insurance, or warranty at all?
hi mate
its purely cosmetic and because its removable it not classed as a change from o.e., think of it the same way as a sticker.
but knowing what insurance companies are like, i would always inform them!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
hi mate
its purely cosmetic and because its removable it not classed as a change from o.e., think of it the same way as a sticker.
but knowing what insurance companies are like, i would always inform them!
The only effect it could possibly have on insurance is that if the bike was damaged or totaled the Insurance company may not pay out on the actual cost of the vinyl. Big deal.

When I brought the Scrambler I spent a lot of time looking around for replacement tank panels and came to the conclusion that the ones available from Ducati were the best bet. Most of the aftermarket ones at that stage were the same or more extensive than the genuine Ducati ones. I think vinyl wrapping would definitely be the way I would go if I wanted to change the ones I have on the bike now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only effect it could possibly have on insurance is that if the bike was damaged or totaled the Insurance company may not pay out on the actual cost of the vinyl. Big deal.

When I brought the Scrambler I spent a lot of time looking around for replacement tank panels and came to the conclusion that the ones available from Ducati were the best bet. Most of the aftermarket ones at that stage were the same or more extensive than the genuine Ducati ones. I think vinyl wrapping would definitely be the way I would go if I wanted to change the ones I have on the bike now.
So i can only talk about the uk, but ANY change from oe, may result in insurance companies refusing to pay out, hence my statement about letting them know.
There are many examples of this, including a driver who needed a tyre after a puncture, crashed on the way home and was refused a pay out, due to a non approved part fitted.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
So i can only talk about the uk, but ANY change from oe, may result in insurance companies refusing to pay out, hence my statement about letting them know.
There are many examples of this, including a driver who needed a tyre after a puncture, crashed on the way home and was refused a pay out, due to a non approved part fitted.
Surely not! That sounds like a case you could win it went to court…

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Really? So you are saying that in the UK if I put a sticker (which is all vinyl wrap is) on my tank and my motorcycle is parked and is run over by a reversing truck or I hit a patch of spilt oil on the road and fall off the insurance company will not pay out because of the sticker on the tank? If that is the case leave that third world country as soon as you can.

The tyre I can fully understand because but you have not presented all the facts. If for example the car owner had fitted an inappropriate tyre, let's give a ridiculous example and say he fitted a retreaded cross ply tyre to an axle that had a Z rated steel belt tyre on the other end then the tyre could have quite conceivably contributed to or been the actual cause of the crash. Simply saying that the insurance company didn't pay out because he fitted a tyre is not sufficient. You yourself said it was "non approved". All vehicles have a sticker usually inside the door saying what tyres are approved for use on the car. To be "non approved" means it was probably not a tyre that was suitable for the vehicle rather than that the insurance company did not know about it.

Surely not! That sounds like a case you could win it went to court…
Agree completely. I think there are internet facts being promoted as truth there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi so on the sticker, if you havent informed the insurance company of any change, they may and have refused to pay out.
On to the tyre, it was on a car and the replacement was actually a better tyre, but not manufacturer approved even though its the same brand of tyre

1 - 10 of 10 Posts