Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday peeps,
So i have the dreaded termi rattle in the resonator. Tried to get it replaced through ducati here in Adelaide under "goodwill" no go.
So my question is , has anyone cut it open and had the baffle plate tig welded back into its position. Just wondering if these had cat converter mesh in them or is it an open can with a plate?
Any advice or a photo or two would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance Brett.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,

One more... :(

It is an open can with a plate. Had the whole exhaust replaced twice under warranty, then the guys from Ducati HCM did exactly what you say: cut it open and weld it back. Rattling a bit when I picked up the bike, full failure after 70 kilometers. Then they cut it open again and removed the plate. No more rattling but not a "tuned system" anymore, with unknown long-term effects on the engine, and sounds like sh*t, gross and loud.

When did you buy the exhaust? And why "no go"? Did your dealer actually submitted a warranty claim or did he refused to do so? You can always escalate to customer care in Italy ([email protected]), in my experience they *will* honor the warranty. You can also try sending a proper letter to your dealer asking for a refund on the basis of a manufacturing defect/hidden defect/design defect which might be covered by your local consumer protection laws, or go to your local small claims court..

If you want to try to weld it back, I think the only way for it to last would be to find/make a similar sized plate with protruding hooks to make strengthened weldings from outside the can (not sure I'm clear..). Probably easier to have someone make a custom 2-to-1 pipe or go aftermarket and forget about what is clearly a $1000 rip-off :(

Valentin
A Disappointed Ducati Fan in Vietnam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

One more... :(

It is an open can with a plate. Had the whole exhaust replaced twice under warranty, then the guys from Ducati HCM did exactly what you say: cut it open and weld it back. Rattling a bit when I picked up the bike, full failure after 70 kilometers. Then they cut it open again and removed the plate. No more rattling but not a "tuned system" anymore, with unknown long-term effects on the engine, and sounds like sh*t, gross and loud.

When did you buy the exhaust? And why "no go"? Did your dealer actually submitted a warranty claim or did he refused to do so? You can always escalate to customer care in Italy ([email protected]), in my experience they *will* honor the warranty. You can also try sending a proper letter to your dealer asking for a refund on the basis of a manufacturing defect/hidden defect/design defect which might be covered by your local consumer protection laws, or go to your local small claims court..

If you want to try to weld it back, I think the only way for it to last would be to find/make a similar sized plate with protruding hooks to make strengthened weldings from outside the can (not sure I'm clear..). Probably easier to have someone make a custom 2-to-1 pipe or go aftermarket and forget about what is clearly a $1000 rip-off :(

Valentin
A Disappointed Ducati Fan in Vietnam
Cheers Valentin ,
My local dealerput a claim in for good will as im the second owner of and the system was dealer fitted so it only had a 12mth warranty.
All good i have a full engineering department at work so thw boys sould be able to do something with it. Just needed to know if it had cat converter internels.
Do you have any photos of the can cut open?

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is an empty can, if you remove it and shake it, you will hear the plate freely moving inside :)

Picture from https://www.ducati --- scrambler --- forum.com/forum/ducati-scrambler-how-diy/38921-termignoni-exhaust-rattle-fix.html (apparently, for some reason, scramblerforum.com does not allow links to ducati --- scrambler --- forum.com)

Regards,

Valentin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Valentin,
Im in the process of getting it tig welded at the moment. Hoping to have it done and back on the bike soon.
Fella from work is grinding through the original tig welds on the outside of the can ans putting a couple of extra welds on the inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts