Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Since posting this thread and sharing with Ducati, they have reconsidered and are now covering my exhaust under warranty. I finally received my replacement resonator just over 7 weeks after I brought it in with the defect.

I am incredibly frustrated right now, and apologize for the long post, but I want to make sure I share all of the information. I have just been denied warranty for what is clearly a manufacturing defect in the resonator, because of an unrelated cosmetic scratch on the muffler. I also waited for Ducati's response and everything else before coming here to post.

In early June, I noticed an occasional rattle when I started my bike. It got progressively worse over the next week, until I thought something was dramatically wrong with the bike. I finally figured out it was the resonator can on my Termi exhaust. From what I can tell, an internal weld failed and something now rattles inside.

I have ruled out that something fell into the exhaust and is stuck in there. Here is a video of the rattle. It only makes the rattle when you hit it on the side where I'm hitting it, or when it’s on the bike. When I ride I can feel it rattle in my foot pegs and can hear it at idle and low rpm, especially when starting:

I brought it to my dealer (Motoprimo in Lakeville, MN), and dropped it off on June 15th. My first frustration was that it took them over a week to contact Ducati and get it shipped out. I won't go into details, but I finally got a call on the 25th that they had shipped it off. That was pretty disappointing response. 10 freaking days just to get my exhaust sent back to Ducati! But I digress...

I waited patiently for quite some time, and on June 8th finally emailed my sales guy at Motoprimo wondering what the heck was going on and asking if he could help grease the wheels for me. Sure enough their parts manager called me back with an answer within a few hours. He said that Ducati was not going to warranty the part due to “crash damage” on it. WTF? Crash damage? The dealer didn’t seem to ask any questions to Ducati or anything on my behalf, so I realized that if I wanted some resolution I’d have to contact them myself. I got my RMA number from the dealer (RMA:60122031) and submitted a customer service request on Ducati's website that day.

I got a call the next day from Ducati's customer service department asking for clarification so they could route my request, but after that I didn’t hear anything until July 15th, another full week later. It was a US customer service rep for Ducati, and he explained that Italy told him there was a scrape on the outside of the exhaust and on the carbon fiber tip that was “crash damage” and they weren’t going to warranty it. Now I knew what they were talking about, and I was blow away.

THIS IS ALL IT TAKES TO VOID YOUR EXHAUST WARRANTY FROM DUCATI:

It’s a small cosmetic scrape, and it’s not even on the resonator, the part that failed. For reference, here are pictures of the resonator (both sides), which has no dents or scrapes on it (cosmetic or otherwise):

It was rattling before that scrape happened. It’s completely unrelated, and I can’t understand how they can just tell me to F off because of that. Also, Ducati never even sent it to Termignoni to see what they would say. Some idiot there made that judgement call. I explain all this to the US customer service rep and he agrees with me that a cosmetic scrape in that location shouldn’t have anything to do with my resonator problem. I told him I don’t want a new exhaust, and that’s not what I’m after. All I want is a new resonator. That’s it! Even if they won’t warranty it, I ask if they’ll see me one at cost. He tells me he will talk to Italy and see what he can do.

That’s the last I hear until yesterday, when Motoprimo calls and tells me that my exhaust is back, and I can come pick it up, in the same broken state that it was sent out. So this is where I sit now. I can either keep barking up the tree and trying to complain, or I can find somebody that can actually weld titanium (not trivial at all!) and pay them to cut it open and fix it for me.

All I know is this is complete and utter B.S. If this happened with ANY other exhaust, I can guarantee you they would have supported me and stood behind their product. I can’t pick on Termignoni since they never even saw it, but this is a complete failure of customer service by Ducati. I never even heard back from the US customer service guy. Land of Joy my ass.

I am going to submit a customer service email to Termignoni directly (linking this thread so they can see pics and video) to see if they’ll help me out, but I have a feeling they might tell me I have to go through Ducati to get help. Who knows...

We will see how they respond, but you may want to think twice before dropping $1300 on this exhaust if a small cosmetic scratch will void the entire warranty.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Wow,this really sucks!
Do you not have any consumer bodies you can turn to for advice?
It's totally unacceptable!
How about mentioning that you are a member of this forum and other motorcycling forums and clubs.
I feel for you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you will find Termi will help. I'm surprised Ducati even got involved and didn't just flick it straight to Termi. I think someone at Ducati has dropped a bollock on this.
I hope they do, and I think you're right. And yes, Ducati is clearly in the wrong here. That's why I posted the pictures. I really don't think I'm being unreasonable with my expectations. All I want is a replacement resonator. Nobody can look at those pictures and suggest that scratch on the tip of the muffler damaged the inside of the resonator. And honestly, if they said they think a cosmetic scratch is what caused it (which is the only reason you wouldn't warranty it), then this thing is a glass slipper and doesn't belong on a Scrambler.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sell the Termi, get Zard. :)

Jokes aside, def. contact Termi, I'm sure they will take care of it for you. Ducati is nothing but a reseller, go to the manufacturer!

Boom. You're it!

·
Registered
285 Posts
How did you actually get that scuff on the exhaust?

And yes, contact Termi direct and see what they say. Hopefully they'll fix the problem...best of luck, keep us updated! :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you actually get that scuff on the exhaust?
Good question. I was going trout fishing, and the parking lot was tiny, and about 1/3 mile across a couple of unplanted fields from where I wanted to fish. There was a faint farm road and a gate. The lot was surrounded by shin high rocks. Here is an ariel photo and street view of the lot:

I rode really slow between two of the rocks, rode the farm road up to the first field, and then cut across that to get to the river. I didn't even notice bumping the rock, but I saw the small scrape when I got out to the river and went to take a picture. This is a picture of where I parked my bike by the river, and you can see the small scrape if you look closely at the tip of the exhaust:

·
Registered
589 Posts
That's shite! Get back on to the highest member of staff you can at Ducati, get the direct number and call them on a daily basis.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I got a response from Termignoni today. They responded quickly, and seem to agree with me, but say their hands are tied. Here is the part where they say they can't help me:

"First of all I have to inform you that unfortunately we are not allowed to work directly with you. We have an exclusivity contract with Ducati Motor Holding and we sold only to Ducati motor holding for this reason we can recognize a guarantee only to them and not directly to you or to the Ducati US or your Ducati dealer because we cannot have any direct contact with them, only with Ducati Motor Holding."

I responded asking if they'd be willing to back door Ducati for me and contact them on my behalf and tell them they'd honor the warranty. We will see what they say, but I'm not very hopeful that'll happen. So unless they help me, I'm stuck to battle it out on my own with Ducati if I don't feel like giving up (not sure yet).

For now, let it be known that a cosmetic scratch voids your Ducati exhaust warranty.
Furthermore, the fact that this even happened in the first place isn't very reassuring for long-term durability. The reason you pay more for the Termi is for the supposed factory support and warranty, but clearly that's marketing BS.

I have updated my signature, and it'll live with all of my posts on this forum until I sell my Scrambler, or if somebody more intelligent at Ducati realizes they made a mistake.

At this point, I'm left with two options:
  1. Keep barking up the tree with Ducati (I'll give them one more chance)
  2. Pay to have it fixed myself
I'm really tempted to just go with 2 because I want it back on my bike, but I might make one last attempt with Ducati.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd like to know what they say in response to the actual failure... I can understand if you don't want to share details until everything is taken care of though.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd like to know what they say in response to the actual failure... I can understand if you don't want to share details until everything is taken care of though.
The actual failure started out as a very slight rattle, and it worked it way up to me thinking my bike was broke. Then I found the noise. I'm fairly certain it's a broken internal weld (nothing else makes sense). However, if they do warranty it in the end, I don't think I'll ever hear what it is since they'll just send it back to Termignoni. Too many channel hops to tell me something that in the end doesn't matter.

If they don't warranty it, I'm going to pay somebody who knows how to work with titanium to cut it open, fix it, and weld it back together. When/if that happens, I guarantee you there will be pics.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have contacted Ducati NA, explained the situation, got the name of their person that helped me before (which is great), and gave them links to this thread (and the one I made on the "other" forum) so they can see the pictures and video. They now have all of the info. Ball is in their court.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have an update!

Ducati NA called me back a few minutes ago. They claim that the dealership took the "wrong path" to get it warrantied. They said the service department should have done it instead of the parts department. I brought it to parts because that's what Motoprimo told me to do when I showed up with it. The said to go there since they didn't install it. The Ducati rep said they go through different warranty evaluation paths, and that's why it was denied so quickly. I don't personally know how accurate any of that is, but I'll take him at his word.

So, he said they now want me to bring the resonator to the dealership service department and have them handle it (sigh...), however he said they have a part number and they will fast track everything, and it sounds like it should be covered. The part does have to come from Italy, but he said it should only take a few days. I won't say case closed, but I will say that it's a big step in the right direction.

Assuming his initial statement on warranty handling is correct, I guess the lesson learned is that if any Ducati part fails (even an accessory), have the service department process the warranty instead of the parts department. I think that seems like a nuance that a customer shouldn't have to be concerned with.

For now, I'll remove my notice in my signature... :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think it sounds like b/s and Ducati NA trying, (badly), to cover their arse. Surely a warranty claim is a warranty claim is a warranty claim and all should be handled in the same way. Oh well, it looks as if all's well that ends well. Touch wood.

Jerry

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So a friend of mine at work brought in his USB bore scope for me this morning, and we took a look inside the resonator!

This plate is rattling around loosely inside.

Here is a scrape on the inner wall from it. I don't think this is the broken weld (or whatever).

Here you can see the scrape at the top, and the plate at the bottom:

Here is a video feed. It's a little shaky because I was actually shaking the resonator to get the pate to move. It is moving toward and then away from that scrape. You can clearly see it move at 25 seconds in:

So, yeah, it's clearly broken inside. I don't exactly know what that is, but I know it's not supposed to be moving.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts