Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently picked up a used 2015 Icon with the Termignoni exhaust. It runs great and is in perfect condition but when I ride it, it'll backfire a bit when downshifting and slowing down. It doesn't kill the engine but it is still more than I have seen/heard from other bikes. Anyone else have the Termi exhaust and seen anything similar?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
"They all do that sir"

Well, as long as you have the air injection system working, it will always do so. Even on a stock exhaust. And it got louder the moment that Termi exhaust was installed, just because your exhaust is louder.

I don't think it's backfiring (that's firing back into the airbox, and can lead to serious airbox damage), it's most likely decell popping.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh good, it seemed like it was normal but with some of the threads talking about backfiring, I wanted to be safe. I am coming from a mid-80s Honda so lots of this is new to me! Thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have had a Termi from new and it has done it since day one. So does my Supersport 939 with the standard exhaust. As Max says above, it's mainly due to the air injection.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"They all do that sir"

Well, as long as you have the air injection system working, it will always do so. Even on a stock exhaust. And it got louder the moment that Termi exhaust was installed, just because your exhaust is louder.

I don't think it's backfiring (that's firing back into the airbox, and can lead to serious airbox damage), it's most likely decell popping.
Are there any sort of mods to the ECU to help with that? I have heard that putting on a different exhaust system should be done with updating the ECU to help reduce decel popping and to prevent the bike from running lean.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Well, the Termi race already comes with an upmap key...

With the upmap key the bike is not running too lean, but the Air Injection System leans off the exhaust gasses.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the Termi race already comes with an upmap key...

With the upmap key the bike is not running too lean, but the Air Injection System leans off the exhaust gasses.
Is that something that is usually done when the exhaust is installed? I bought this bike used with the Termi on it so I don't know what else, if anything was done to the engine.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If the upmap has been installed the dash will display "RACE" at switch on.

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes. And the popping on decel caused mainly by the air injection system.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Nope, the air injection system is actually a good thing. It allows the engine to run a tad richer and still keep the exhaust gasses lean enough for the catalytic converter to work within it's operating range.

If you just simply disable it without taking measures in the cpu/fuel injection mapping (!!), the return information from the lambada sensors will make the EFI lean off the fueling until the lambda value is within range...

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, the air injection system is actually a good thing. It allows the engine to run a tad richer and still keep the exhaust gasses lean enough for the catalytic converter to work within it's operating range.

If you just simply disable it without taking measures in the cpu/fuel injection mapping (!!), the return information from the lambada sensors will make the EFI lean off the fueling until the lambda value is within range...
Awesome, I talked to the dealer I got it from and they said they would remap it and take a look to make sure they didn't miss anything so if it still pops, I wont worry about it again. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not if you just plug the AIS hoses though? The ECU won't know - or are you saying the lambda sensors will tell it? I always assumed this and the only concern would be destroying the cat...which i dont have. Ready to stand corrected.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
764 Posts

No catalytic convertor with the Termi but I think the Lambdas are still active.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Not if you just plug the AIS hoses though? The ECU won't know - or are you saying the lambda sensors will tell it? I always assumed this and the only concern would be destroying the cat...which i dont have. Ready to stand corrected.

Well, the AIS is part of the closed loop, so yes I’d expect the ecu to lean off the fueling if you just plug the AIS.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
No, I don't think you should be concerned, unless you disconnected the AIS yourself or applied other engine mods afterwards.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well, the AIS is part of the closed loop, so yes I’d expect the ecu to lean off the fueling if you just plug the AIS.
Sounds legit. Glad I never disabled it then. I have the full Termi and the popping is not bad. Only considered doing it because I removed it on my Triumph Scrambler. That had carbs tho.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts