Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've an Icon with the Termi slip on and up map key installed (showing 'race' on the dash on start up).
Was wondering if the up map key still uses the o2 sensors or not?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am no expert and I'm not sure what the correct answer is. I've seen diametrically opposed answers here. I took the sensors off and bought a kit on ebay from a company in Greece that comes with fittings that plug up the pipe and also plastic plugs that close the loop and cap the fittings on the sensor wires. I don't think I needed to do the wire but it I like the idea of closing it rather than leaving it open. i had my bike remapped immediately after that and it's been great. Bike looks better without those sensors and also catalytic converter.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read, the o2 sensors are only used by the ecu at very low rpm and when the rpm is held at a constant for long periods.
I thought the throttle was the cause of the snatchiness at low constant rpm but it seems due to emission regulations, the o2 sensors actually cause poor fuelling.
If the Termi race map doesn't turn off the o2 sensors, I'm wondering if using an o2 sensor elimination kit will help.
I'm not looking to use anything like rexxer.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don't know if the up-map uses the sensors or not but the ECU complains if you unplug them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if the up-map uses the sensors or not but the ECU complains if you unplug them.

Have you tried unplugging the o2 sensors running the Termi race map.. with or without the o2 sensor elimination kit?
I think if the o2 sensors are unplugged, the bike needs to be ridden for some miles for the ecu to adjust?
I would like to know definitively that when the o2 sensor elimination kit is used, is the closed loop system totally shut down and therefore the ecu just accommodates by introducing a set value to replace the variable o2 sensor values...or... does the closed loop system still continue to work with the o2 eliminator kit permanently suggesting that the bike is running leaning and therefore the ecu running a richer mix?

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you unplug the O2 sensors the engine management light will come on. You can ride it as far as like and it will stay on. The ECU has no means of adjusting, especially with no O2 sensors.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The o2 sensors are primarily used for very low rpm & throttle position predominantly to help with emissions.
Higher rpm and throttle usage switches to the map of the ecu.
So my understanding is that the o2 sensor eliminator simply gives a steady voltage to the ecu for the closed loop fuelling.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The ECU will run in closed loop using inputs from the Lambda sensors as long as it is in a stable condition i.e. constant speed and throttle, not just a low rpm and throttle openings.
You are correct that the O2 sensor eliminator will provide a steady voltage to the ECU. This free book about How Motorcycle Fuel Injection Works by the seller of the Booster Plug will give you a better understanding the fuel injection system.

Reactions: Ian_H
1 - 8 of 8 Posts