Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would let every person know, with the pending arrival of your bikes, and the people who are getting termignoni slip ons
The included map key is NOT plug and play, you have to get a dealer to upload the map,

·
Registered
140 Posts
My dealer (sales not workshop) said not to fit the Termi without loading the map, they of course would fit it for $200.

Fitted it myself, took bike in for first service and to load the map, the key was corrupted and they need to get a new one from Ducati. Workshop Manager explained this to me, I asked, what now? Is it ok to ride without the map?

He says," oh yeah, it's fine, we'll call you when it comes in could take a while but don't worry the bike will be fine".

·
Registered
834 Posts
I fitted mine myself last week purely because I got it cheaper than dealer price. I took the key in on service but they couldn't upload because their machine had corrupt files on it not my key and they had to wait until Ducati could send them new data files even to get rid of my service icon on dash. It ran ok but was lean and made some sweet popping noises which was fine by me. They also said it will be fine and so don't worry.
I had very loud Termis on my monster s4 without the correct ECU and was good for years.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I fitted mine myself last week purely because I got it cheaper than dealer price. I took the key in on service but they couldn't upload because their machine had corrupt files on it not my key and they had to wait until Ducati could send them new data files even to get rid of my service icon on dash. It ran ok but was lean and made some sweet popping noises which was fine by me. They also said it will be fine and so don't worry.
I had very loud Termis on my monster s4 without the correct ECU and was good for years.
I have made silencers or just gutted collector boxes and always take the bike up to the rolling road to check the fuelling just in-case I lean it out too much. Could be £100 well spent. Never yet have they been too lean after modifying but a standard Bandit 1200 was too lean and I had to lift the needles slightly to en-rich it a wee bit mid throttle.
Personally I think anything with lambda sensors is going to self correct anyway.
Once I made a shorty silence with a 'Y' baffle double outlet, I also baffled the lead into the silencer from the front pipe. On the dyno it showed straight line fuel ratio but with a dip in power/torque mid way up the revs, I removed the entry baffle and the dip disappeared, fuel line stayed spot on.
Conclusion; do what you want and don't worry. To knock the mapping way out of kilter I think it would take a lot more than just changing the exhaust, ie. air intake and camshafts etc.

Probably the up-map for the Termi just opens the throttle slightly on the overrun to stop excessive popping due to the fresh air bypassed into the exhaust to reduce emissions.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think you'll find that the Lambda sensors only keep the mixture correct at low speeds and smaller throttle openings. They are aimed at maintaining environmentally friend air/fuel ratios for city driving and to provide a mixture that won't bugger up the catalytic convertor. Once the throttle is wide open the amount of change the Lambdas can make is minimal to a fully mapped system.
My MTS has a full Termi with the "Race" ECU. What I do find is that the around town behaviour is much improved with no tendency to snatch or surge. By the smell and the amount of soot on the rear indicator it's definitely on the rich side but without doing a dyno with air/fuel measurement I've no idea if that's across the range or just at certain throttle openings. And it pops big style on the overrun. I must try to seal the joins to see if it helps.
Oddly, the Lambdas are maintained. I'm not sure if they are doing anything given that here is no cat but the dash complains with an error message if I unplug them.
The MTS also has MAP sensors which measure the amount air going into the engine, so to some extent it will be self-correcting.
I think the Scrambler will be much the same as the 796 Monster with 2 Lambdas but no MAP sensors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I picked up my Urban Enduro with the Termignoni High system fitted, but the dealer said they were having trouble getting the Up Map Key to work so it's still running on the standard map. He says they want me to bring it in for a few DAYS to try to sort it out. My question is: has anyone yet had this Up Map installed successfully yet?
You can see on this vid I made there is a slight cough when running with the DB killer in, I'm not sure if this is related to the incorrect mapping or not, but the dealer said it might run slightly less smooth & backfire a bit until it's properly mapped.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Mine had definitely been done because the RACE comes on the dash and it seems to have some more aggressive response which is great. BUT it still feels fueling may be a little out as over runs popping and banging.
My question is though that everyone used to get a Termignoni Kit and received a pipe a ecu and a race air filter. Now do ducati use race air filters standard or is that what I need to address next.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Originally I was going to fit the system myself, but as it arrived the same day as the bike and they pointed out I couldn't do the up map myself, they offered to fit the system gratis at delivery. Anyway, I opened the sealed box at the dealers myself to look inside, and it came with several pipes incl the can and fitting hardware, the Up Map Key, but no race air filter.

The way the wording is on the Scrambler site, they imply that the up map key is plug and play (i.e. something you can do at home), but you need the Dealer's DDS system to do it apparently. Also what was not in the box were any instructions.

·
Registered
166 Posts
my dealer installed the upmap and it's been working fine, although it seems Idle is a little high (closer to 2K than I'd like)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The Scrambler may be different ? who knows. But, every time I make or modify an exhaust or just de-cat and gut I go to the rolling road to check fuelling and map just in-case. So far the only bike I've had to address was a Benelli 1130 and that was running rich from the factory.
Special maps to suit an exhaust ? not convinced.
Bikes with a noise abatement flap that is done away with or Lambda sensors removed by fitting a non standard pipe can be mapped to eliminate these, apart from that .........

·
Registered
149 Posts
The dealer installed the upmap key with my high termigoni exhaust and it runs great and shows race model when you first turn the key on. The db killers were pulled also. Perhaps the slip on works differently.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Can the dealers get this 'RACE' map even if you don't have the aftermarket exhaust? Does Ducati provide it for customers at a cost if they simply want it put on their bike because they sawed off a piece of fence post for a muffler and entered themselves into an AMA dirt track race?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a low mount Termi and I was wondering. Could the dealer have installed the Map key without DSS?
Why I ask is that I do have RACE come up on the dash but I do still get a lot of popping and occasionally a back fire. Backfire mainly if I am blipping the throttle on down shifting which I would have thought was extra fuel in exhaust rather than lean. Anyway are these Map key plug and play or need a DSS to work at all? I am just not confident with the work the dealer does... Maybe I need to visit them to find out what they did...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a low mount Termi and I was wondering. Could the dealer have installed the Map key without DSS?
Why I ask is that I do have RACE come up on the dash but I do still get a lot of popping and occasionally a back fire. Backfire mainly if I am blipping the throttle on down shifting which I would have thought was extra fuel in exhaust rather than lean. Anyway are these Map key plug and play or need a DSS to work at all? I am just not confident with the work the dealer does... Maybe I need to visit them to find out what they did...
If it says RACE, then you have the upmap installed. And yes you'll get lots of fantastic popping and less fantastic occasional backfires (and yes with blipping). The popping is a lot less if you install the dB killer (just cut/grind out the center post to get rid of the whistle). I still can get backfires with a blip, but they are much quieter with the dB killer installed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can the dealers get this 'RACE' map even if you don't have the aftermarket exhaust? Does Ducati provide it for customers at a cost if they simply want it put on their bike because they sawed off a piece of fence post for a muffler and entered themselves into an AMA dirt track race?
Unfortunately dealers do not appear to be able to do this (i asked when they did mine). The reason is that the dealer requires a unique code for each map that can only be upliaded to One Scrambler at any given time. Termignoni is probably keeping tabs on the keys which makes sense from their POV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts