Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When your bike has gone past the point of no return :eek: :crybaby2: :BangHead:

I hadn't gone half a mile from home at the start of my weekend trip, and had to pull into a lay-by to wipe off a huge insect which had splattered across my field of vision. However this lay-by had just had a load of gravel spread across it's entrance (which was on quite a tight turn) and so I was turning gingerly into it, but found myself heading for a deep trench so turned sharply to miss it - a bit too sharply as I found myself keeling over! Despite trying to throw myself under the bike to cushion it's fall there was a sickening crunch of gravel and stones :crybaby2::crybaby2:.

Luckily (or more likely embarrassingly) there was someone in the lay-by who helped me pick the bike up, and I could barely look at the damage. Well I will say that the Evotech crash bungs have totally earned their money - the only marks on the bike were some tiny scratches on the end of the brake lever and on the exhaust, both of which can be painted over. Nothing else!!

Not the best start to the weekend but so grateful for the crash bungs and after half an hour of swearing at myself it was soon forgotten!

Another dodgy moment was riding through the small Yorkshire village of Dent. Very picturesque but half of it comprises slippery cobble stones. Anyone who has experienced the rather snatchy throttle on uneven surfaces at low revs, can imagine what the effect of a lengthy run of uneven cobble stones with mossy bits thrown in might have, especially as going round one bend a large van was coming the other way, and barely enough space for two vehicles .... :confused: I was never so glad to get onto smooth tarmac again!

Anyway rest of the weekend was brilliant and full marks for the Evotech bungs :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Buy yourself some different boots with thicker soles and a throttle tamer

I can recommend Harley Davidson Caldwell (being short also)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Oh how I hate those butt pucker moments, glad the damage was minimal and you were unhurt. Considering your riding environment, would a throttle tamer be a good investment?

Sarah

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buy yourself some different boots with thicker soles and a throttle tamer
I have Daytona stacked boots, and I like the response of the throttle. Just not on cobbles :rolleyes:

So glad you resisted the impulse to throw yourself under the bike to cushion its fall!
I tried my hardest to jam myself under it but failed :D

Can you post a picture of the bungs and damage? I'm looking at bungs or crash bars and it might help me decide!
Pic of how much the bungs stick out, and scratches to the exhaust which I have now painted and you can't see anything! That, and some tiny scratches to the end of the brake lever (which I have also painted), was the only damage

P1110411.jpg
P1010492 (1).jpg

·
Registered
140 Posts
At least it was the stock exhaust not an aftermarket$$$$ and that is why I have folding levers might want to get some, glad you are not hurt you can always fix the bike but repairing you not so simple :angel:

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
These things happen unfortunately. I'm not a huge fan of crash bungs as I've seen too many that knacker the frame when the bike has gone down hard.

And I think riding on cobbles on the Scrambler could be a hoot if you're in the mood :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not new to dropping bikes, just that I hadn't dropped this one :mad:. The crash bungs have definitely saved my bike from more damage!

I'm sure many people would love riding on cobblestones, just not me lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yesterday playing with the scrambler was able to find the erratic throttle response.
You need a flat clear area at least 100 yards long and clear of any obstructions. Start engine, engage 1st gear, let out clutch without touching throttle, get to 7 miles per hour still on tickover. Now open throttle and on my bike at 2200 revs all hell breaks loose, can now understand the complaints people have been making.

With my bike just keep revs above 2500 and it doesn't happen.

If the 2200 rev rodeo happened on cobbles I don't think I could control it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yesterday playing with the scrambler was able to find the erratic throttle response.
You need a flat clear area at least 100 yards long and clear of any obstructions. Start engine, engage 1st gear, let out clutch without touching throttle, get to 7 miles per hour still on tickover. Now open throttle and on my bike at 2200 revs all hell breaks loose, can now understand the complaints people have been making.

With my bike just keep revs above 2500 and it doesn't happen.

If the 2200 rev rodeo happened on cobbles I don't think I could control it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad you are ok. Working on trying to get used to riding it is a new experience for me.
Thanks for the tips on how to keep the bike from being damaged in a fall.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts