Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here arecthe first pictures I've seen of the 1100 Desert X. Looking pretty cool with upgraded terrain worthy suspension and a 21 liter tank. I'm guessing it will have a switchable ABS and maybe some special riding modes.
20191105_154947.jpg
20191105_154921.jpg
20191105_154811.jpg
20191105_154852.jpg

·
Registered
982 Posts
It is still a concept. When the actual bike arrives it will be fatter with full road legal items that are currently missing and will no doubt have lost some of the edge the concept version has. I can’t for example see the four fuel caps remaining even if three are dummies.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It is still a concept. When the actual bike arrives it will be fatter with full road legal items that are currently missing and will no doubt have lost some of the edge the concept version has. I can’t for example see the four fuel caps remaining even if three are dummies.
I don’t see any reason why the actual bodywork would have to change as everything just looks like standard Desert Sled but with the 1100 engine and that bodywork. Just put a swing arm mounted number plate hanger on, like the Scramblers usually have (also works as a mudguard) and slap on some indicators. Add the massive ugly Euro5 exhaust, that everyone in their right might just takes off, done!

it’s surprised me just how much I like the look of the Desert X! I really love it. 90’s Dakar styling. Looks like an updated Cagiva Elefant! Which I’m sure isn’t by mistake...

I’ve been craving a green lane, go-anywhere type of bike for a while and I’d get this but I suspect a production version would be pricey. At least £13,500 - £14,000, to not undercut the Multistrada 950 and looks to be based around an 1100 S.

68A3A9D2-B19E-434D-BE98-53AB4AF5E25C.jpeg

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you want a green lane go anywhere bike the Desert X is not it. Look at for example the Yamaha WR250R as a suitable option.

As to the bodywork on the Desert X. The unnecessary rear fuel tanks will make it almost impossible to mount panniers. They will not be there on the production version if for no other reason than the fact that they preclude Ducati from making money selling options.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Goid point k1w1.
They could keep them just building ' em slimmer. Et voila.
Afterall is just a concept

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you want a green lane go anywhere bike the Desert X is not it. Look at for example the Yamaha WR250R as a suitable option.

As to the bodywork on the Desert X. The unnecessary rear fuel tanks will make it almost impossible to mount panniers. They will not be there on the production version if for no other reason than the fact that they preclude Ducati from making money selling options.
Go anywhere for me, includes long trips up to Scotland to see my family and big road trips etc... as well as having something that can get down any road, track or occasional green lane. Maybe “go-anywhere” is the wrong way to put it. So basically my Scrambler but a bit more grown up and capable of longer trips.

Whatever this concept ends up as though, will be too expensive. I’ve looked at things like the Teneré 660 but just think a big single will be too much of a headache on motorways. New 700 Teneré looks perfect but again, too new/expensive. Plus most bikes in this category are pig ugly!
So welcome the style of this concept!

agree the rear tanks will likely be dropped in favour of a rack option. Think a set of soft kriega bags on the back would complete the look anyway!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The rear fuell tanks aren't much wider then the high Scrambler 1100's exhaust and this will also fit panniers with a special rack(like my SW Motech bags) and the total width is still below the width of the R1250GS handle bars.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hope ducati will put on sale an exhaust like that. Our bike with luggages on looks like a fat ass mule. Imo

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hope ducati will put on sale an exhaust like that. Our bike with luggages on looks like a fat ass mule. Imo
It sure does but it still rides great and I can load up my bike in seconds. But I liked the look of the SW Motech Legend Gear bags better on my 800 Scrambler. But that's also the beauty of this system, with a new bike I just had to buy two new brackets and I was able to use the bags again(and if I switch to a Triumph or BMW in the future the same still aplies).

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True skippy.
I've been using the same soft bags from kappa since the bonneville and the r1150gs!
Yeah, with the BMW's I owned in the past I first went with oem hard luggage but every time there was a new model they changed their crazy expensive luggage...
So this solution is way better.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Pretty sure we’ll see this going into production. Vibe from Eicma is that the Desert X is getting loads of positive attention.

Not to everyone’s taste but good design normally isn’t. The original Scrambler got a lot of hate when first shown.

Can’t wait to see this at Motorcycle live in the U.K.!

I do wish they’d used the 800 motor and made it as light as possible though. Seems there is a swing back towards usable adventure touring machines. 700 Teneré, 790 Adventure... Desert Sled with some more bodywork fits right in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts