Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I bought the RexXer Evo unit last year and installed a new map on my bike.
I only had the chance to ride the bike for two very short journeys last year due to the poor weather as it was Autumn going into Winter.
Having now had the chance to ride it lots, I've had the notorious airbox backfire and no power (almost stalling) when I've blipped the throttle on a downshift.
Prior to the RexXer map, this would happen a fair bit but I'm wondering why it is still happening with the RexXer map installed as according to what I've read, the airbox backfire and stall/no power is caused by lean/poor fuelling and the Secondary Air Intake system.... both of which the RexXer map should of dealt with (I've had the o2 sensors disabled and physically removed which apparently should disable the Secondary Air Intake).

I've messaged RexXer to see if the Secondary Air Intake has been disabled either through the ecu or through the o2 sensors removal.

Is anyone else with a RexXer map installed also getting the airbox backfire etc?

Many thanks,
Duncan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Duncan, are you sure your map has been successfully installed?
I had similar problem with Rexxer - I installed a map from Rexxer, took my bike for a ride and I noticed no difference at all. It turned out, that my map didn't installed at all, despite the Rexxer unit told me that it was successfully installed. I tried second time and it worked.
Do you see "RACE" on the dashboard after turning the ignition on?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I first had the ECU flashed by RexXer and that didn't work properly so after all the hassles, I bought the Evo User unit.
Once I received the Evo unit I installed a new and different map which seems to work well. Apparently it's their best map what ever that means? Lol.

I've received a message back from RexXer saying that they CAN NOT disable the Secondary Air Intake system. So going by the fact I've had an airbox backfire, the information I've read on here that the o2 sensor disabling/removal stops the SAI system from working can't be true!

Shame that the RexXer unit can't disable the SAI system.

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Myself, even after installing Rexxer map I still have intake backfires too. Despite the bike rides way better than before, backfires are still problematic (even thought they are very rare now). BUT in my case, I asked to leave O2 sensors turned on, as I have an exhaust with a catalytic converter.

So you are not alone with your problem. I think it is a bit sad that we pay huge amount of money for the Rexxer unit and it still doesn't work well.
What if it is not only about software? Few weeks back I replaced my standard air filer with the BMC one. I noticed something very disturbing - I found some dirt (mostly sand) in the intake after the filter! I though, that there is a vacuum leak (apparently quite big one, if dirt passes through). The bike is 1,5 year old and it has 8 kkm.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I first had the ECU flashed by RexXer and that didn't work properly so after all the hassles, I bought the Evo User unit.
Once I received the Evo unit I installed a new and different map which seems to work well. Apparently it's their best map what ever that means? Lol.

I've received a message back from RexXer saying that they CAN NOT disable the Secondary Air Intake system. So going by the fact I've had an airbox backfire, the information I've read on here that the o2 sensor disabling/removal stops the SAI system from working can't be true!

Shame that the RexXer unit can't disable the SAI system.

Thanks.
Where do you live? I had no problem at all with asking David @ Rexxer USA to write me a map that disabled the SAI on my bike (and the O2 sensors), but I have an aftermarket catless slipon as well. With this map, as well as the slipon and a BMC filter, I have never had any backfiring at all, and the popping on overrun is greatly reduced as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Where do you live? I had no problem at all with asking David @ Rexxer USA to write me a map that disabled the SAI on my bike (and the O2 sensors), but I have an aftermarket catless slipon as well. With this map, as well as the slipon and a BMC filter, I have never had any backfiring at all, and the popping on overrun is greatly reduced as well.
I live in Sweden and I bought the unit directly from Rexxer in Germany. I think I would need to remove the catalytic converter to completely get rid off backfiring, but I would prefer to leave the catalytic converter - Sweden is quite rigorous about pollution.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's strange, RexXer in Germany have told me that they can't disable the SAI nor do they know much about it.

I'm intrigued now.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That's probably because in Germany they have to go through the TÜV hoops which would prevent them from selling a product which would violate the law like removing a cat.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can see where you're coming from but I've had my o2 sensors eliminated so surely that would come under the same thing?

Maybe I need to email David @ RexXer USA??

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Much prefer to have the SAI disabled via the ecu than all the faffing I've had to do with the hoses.

Also, odd that RexXer Germany told me they can't disable the SAI and that they have no experience with the SAI yet RexXer USA does.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Much prefer to have the SAI disabled via the ecu than all the faffing I've had to do with the hoses.

Also, odd that RexXer Germany told me they can't disable the SAI and that they have no experience with the SAI yet RexXer USA does.
Does that not indicate it's to do with local laws rather than the capabilities of the unit though?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who knows?
If it was down to local laws then surely disabling o2 sensors would be classed the same?
Also they are exporting to a different country, would that negate local laws?

David @RexXer USA has confirmed he can disable the SAI, just waiting back on his reply to my email.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's also really easy to remove the 3 air hoses and plug them with vacuum caps to physically prevent the SAI from operating. It's also just as easy to put it back to stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts